300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herniated Disc

The CT scan reveals that I have a central herniation of the disc in the L4-L5 vertebral space and osteophytes (bone spurs) in the L3-L4 vertebral space. I have an appt with a neurosurgeon next week and was wondering (1) what my treatment options are going to be; and (2) what is my prospect of returning to full duty after an injury like this.

Any opinions or experience out there??

I have a disability retirement based on four or five herniated disks (depending on which doctor you listen to).

Treatment and your prospects of returning to full duty are going to depend on a whole lot of factors,

First, a lot is going to depend on how your doctor writes the report. Particular attention will depend on the degree of the bulge, what kind of work restrictions he puts on you and how long the restrictions will last.

Of particular importance will be whether or not this was a work related injury. If it is not work related and the injury has the potential to be exacerbated by the job, there is a possibility that your employer may declare you permanently unfit for duty and terminate you from your job. The reasoning here is that most states have laws that say if a work related injury makes an existing non-work related injury worse, the employer is on the hook to pay for the whole thing. So if you herniated your disk digging up your sewer line, and fighting with drunk later blows the already damaged disk, the department has to pick up the tab for everything. Departments don't want to be at risk for things like that.

OTOH, if this is the result of an on the job injury, departments tend to be more accepting and give you a lot more latitude when it comes to remaining on the job, because it saves them the cost of a disability retirement,

Take a look at http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Musculo.pdf It will answer most of your questions about back and disk injuries, how they put you at risk, what is acceptable and what is not. While these are California standards, the medical principles are fairly universal.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Mine is in my neck but there are alot of natural treatments. You do not need pain meds if you can handle and work through the pain. How is your threshold? Has to be good to get through it!

World_So_Cold

Comment

Originally posted by jaaxo View Post
        The CT scan reveals that I have a central herniation of the disc in the L4-L5 vertebral space and osteophytes (bone spurs) in the L3-L4 vertebral space. I have an appt with a neurosurgeon next week and was wondering (1) what my treatment options are going to be; and (2) what is my prospect of returning to full duty after an injury like this.

Any opinions or experience out there??

I am currently going through rehab right now from two herniated discs one of which is L4-L5. I am have a ton of success through my chiro and pt team here in South Florida. My two cents would be this: Seek out a Chiropractor that offers the a DRX9000, spinal decompression. The chiro is NOT to do ANY spinal adjustments, he is just doing an evaluation of your mobility, pain threshold and then will supervise your decompression sessions, maybe slap on some electro stim on ya. There is alot of mixed reviews out there about DRX9000 but I gotta say I use it 3 times weekly on top of my PT and it helps me in amazing ways. Second would be to see out a CHEK practitioner, level 3 or above. My PT is a CHEK practitioner and there approach to rehabing any kind of spinal injury/herniation is really the way to go. Thirdly, take fish oils. Since you are currently "injured/hurt/banged up" id recommend you take your bodweight and multiply it by .75 and thats how many total grams you should be taking of fish oils a day. Im not saying this is the only way to go but by taking the fish oils it will help alleviate any inflammation, help lubricate the joints and alleviate pain. A couple other supplements you may want to look into that I am currently using and their dosage I am using:

Schiff, Move Free, Advanced Plus 1500 mg MSM, 120 Coated Tablets, 4 tablets a day.
        Now Foods, Vitamin D-3, Highest Potency, 5,000 IU, 120 Softgels, 2 softgels a day. ( Vit. D3 should be done at this dosage for about 4 weeks, then bring it down to 1 softgel a day and stay there)

Just my two cents. I wasn't feeling too well at first but once I started my PT with the CHEK and my decompression sessions with my doc, threw in some good eating and some good supplementation and I felt much better. I wouldnt recommend something I have not tried or am currently doing. Stay away from inflammatory foods!!!

- Hulk
        "Anyone can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." - Prefontaine

Comment

I had this happen to me about 10 Years ago. I had a Lumbar Lamanectomy (Sp?) and I immediately felt pain free less my incision. The surgery was well worth it. Basically the doctor "cleans out" the herniated disc and trimmed it off. It took me about 6 months to totally recover. I spent 3 months off work totally, doing rehab and getting my strength back by working out a little. Please feel free to PM me with questions. This is a big choice and I know what you're going through.
          "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

same thing in same spot for me couple years ago...neuro surgeon said it was so bad I needed surgery, as the disc was pushing against the sciatic nerve and the pain was unbearable. Got cortisone shot into my spine..was supposed to last 3 months, mine barely lasted 3 weeks...anyway had the protruding part of the disc cut off. When I woke up, i immediately felt better. Doc said no running for awhile and only walking @ 4 miles a day, (in increments), for awhile.
            That was 2 years ago...I still get some weird feelings down the sciatic line, but it could be because I havent really worked out seriously since before the pain started.
            Doc advised cops get this a lot, most likely die to the 30# belt we wear, so check into workmans comp if youve been on long enough.
            Good luck..the surgery is well worth it compared to the pain of the sciatic nerve being compressed.
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

forgot to add, (sorry), I was able to return to MODIFIED duty after 1 or 2 months, (dont lift more than 50#s), another month and follow up visit cleared me.
              Luckily my dept has "light duty" where I still make my pay but I am a LT's beatch, so I run errands, handle paperwork, recruiting calls, etc...If uou have enough sick time, use it up.
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

I had the steroid injection in the L4-L5 vertebral space last week. The relief was almost immediate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. However, today I was up and about and did quite a bit of chores around the house (no heavy lifting, just a lot of busy work). I did get some pain return of pain in my back, though some on the other side. Took a pain pill and it's better now. Guess I need to talk to my doctor about specific limitations on my activity.

Still keeping fingers crossed!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9014 users online. 498 members and 8516 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X