300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running. Mental or physical

Question. When I run inside on the treadmill I can keep a 7minute mile pace (at a 1% incline). It's not easy but I can do it.
    When I go to the track I run at what I think to be the same pace but I tire after 1/2 or 3/4 mile.

Does anyone have any thoughts why I have such a difference in performance?
    Anyone know if I am just mentally holding myself back or if the treadmill is easier than 'real' running
    The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.

I actually have the exact opposite problem! I find it much easier to run outside than it is to run on a treadmill. I think it is mostly mental though, I started listening to my iPod when running and it makes it so much easier. Usually when I run I find myself thinking about....running...which tends to be exhausting in itself. I think the distraction and motivation the music gives is really helpful. I don't like running on a treadmill simply because it keeps you at the same pace and it doesn't translate well to running outdoors. When you run on a track you keep with the pace your body is comfortable with and that will vary throughout the duration of your run. It is much different than when you are on the treadmill and you are trying to keep up with the belt.

Comment

it is ez to run on a treadmill to me. someone to me the reason why its easier but i forget and dont want to look like an idiot. I would say it mental and physical. more physical though

Comment

Originally posted by NHNSP_ADMIN View Post
        Question. When I run inside on the treadmill I can keep a 7minute mile pace (at a 1% incline). It's not easy but I can do it.
        When I go to the track I run at what I think to be the same pace but I tire after 1/2 or 3/4 mile.

Anyone know if I am just mentally holding myself back or if the treadmill is easier than 'real' running
        My personal trainer says a 2.0 incline is the equivalent of running outside. That may be why you are having a harder time outside.

Comment

I say all mental...

Comment

You need to take your mind to that special place.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
            After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

ALL THE WAY!!!!

You getting tired while running outside is totally mental. When you get tired after 1/2 mile or so your thinking about running. Take your mind to a differet place whether its a song, your g/f or kids. If you can concentrate on somting besides running you will find yourself 1/2 mile farther. Your mind will give out way before your body will, you just gotta keep on moving

Comment

I run with my IPOD, no matter what my speed is i will not look at the stop watch till i complete that lap then i will adjust where needed. It works for me. I run on the treadmill when crappy weather out side, when i move from treadmill to track i run a lot better so i would agree with mental.

Comment

Running on a treadmill uses less energy than running off of one. Which as someone else pointed out some people recommend putting the 1-2% incline to make the energy expended closer.

Comment

Running on treadmill is generally easier because it is less stressful on the body. My example would be I trained on treadmill this past winter religiously ate pretty clean and watched my 1.5 mile time go from 10:20 to 11:40. Plain and simple when you run outside you tend to lean more and your leg muscles are propelling you forward i.e. the ground outside doesn't move for you, rather you move yourself. The lesson to this story is treadmill is good cross-training tool on higher inclines and can be used to treat a running injuries i.e. knees, shin splints etc.
                    11-2009 Interview -Atlanta, Ga
                    01-15-2010 Conditional Offer Region 3
                    02-05&02/09-2009 Medical
                    01-25-2010 E-Qip Submitted
                    BI Interview-3-16-2010
                    Drug Test- 3-4-2010
                    FIT Test- 3-22-2010
                    BI Approved- 7-2010
                    FLETC ????????????

Comment

It is a mental thing, but physically running on a treadmill does not compare to running outside. First of all, I don't know where you live but mid to high 90's temp here in Miami and nearly 100% humidity will mess with the most conditioned athlete. Another thing is that when running in doors, there is no wind resistance, no friction to worry about or chain in terrain. All of these factors require you to use different muscles and expend more energy. If you take your running outside, you will get better outside. As for the mental aspect it actually quite simple: set a goal and don't quit until you reach it. Finally, remember to pace yourself and slowly cut at that mile pace.
                      MDC BLE 270

Comment

You don't say how long you maintain a 7 min mile on a treadmill? If you tire after 1/2 mile or so why are you running that fast? I run close to 1,000 miles each year on a treadmill with no adverse effects so unless you are running into a 50mph headwind it is mental...

Comment

I am up to 1.25 miles on the t-mill. After reading the posts and thinking about it I watch tv while I run so I bet it is just mental block.
                          The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.

Comment

Best advice I can give you is to have some headphones on to take your mind off whatever that's mentally blocking you. As long as you have hydrated and stretched properly you shouldn't have any issues. I run infrequently and have always been able to ace any run test. Treadmills seem easier because your mind is fixed on a certain object like a connected Tv or young ladies behind lol! Outdoor running should definitely put you in a place to be able to make the same time as indoors. Good luck going forward!

Comment

It's 50/50.

Running on treadmill creates a softer surface with less muscle push off necessary to maintain a pace. Its a small thing but its very real. When you run outside, you're using accessory muscles to stabilize your legs and core that don't come into as much play when running on a treadmill. Beyond that, small factors like wind, temperature, humidity, and even time of day can impact your run.

Having said all that, as long as your fit, you should be able to closely approximate your indoor times with your outdoor times, especially on a track. You might lose a few seconds per mile but it shouldn't be a huge drop off. The issue comes down to your brain playing tricks on you. By merely asking this question, you've already set up your brain to think that running outside should be more difficult and so you have a harder time running outside.

Breaking through mental barriers is tough and its hard to tell you how to do it. Most of the time, a mental breakthrough comes as a surprise. You'll finish a run, look down at your watch, and realize that you were running much faster then you thought. Many people use music to help their runs, but I do the opposite. I've become a bit of purist when it comes to running so I rarely use music and have even taken to leaving the GPS, stopwatch and even my shoes at home.
                              Originally posted by kontemplerande
                              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6130 users online. 361 members and 5769 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X