300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tour my medial meniscus...

any one ever done this? im going for my MRI tomorrow. any one had surgery? whats the recovery like...well, your own experience. happened in a foot pursuit. caught em though....
    dubbed code name: Alien #69

wow...tour...sorry guys, must be the muscle relaxers

Comment

At least you caught 'em....good work. Now...for the bad part, rest, rest, rest and then when you have passed the pain threshold...guess what, more rest. Rehab is gonna take awhile for this one especially if you want to be back at 100%. Start a batter of NSAIDs like Motrin/Ibuprofen...don't know your height and weight but im gonna guess if you are anywhere between 170-200 and somewhere between 5'7" and 6'0" you can go about 800 to 1000mgs every 4-6 hours. In terms of surgery...you are only gonna know that depending on the MRI results...Id love to tell you to stay away from it and go the longer and more rehabilitative route but I am no doctor and I have never torn mine so its gonna be up to you. Surgery can be an okay avenue depending on rehab time, scar tissue and possibility of reinjury. Fish oils are a good go to for anti-inflammatory aide as well....give me some height/weight/diet history and I can give you some better guidance. Once again, not a doc, just a 20 year veteran amateur and olympic level athlete who has had a fair share of booboos.

- Hulk
      "Anyone can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." - Prefontaine

Comment

I had the surgery back in March...My tear was from about 2 O'clock to 8 O'clock, so pretty big, and I was released to run and do everything I normally do about a month ago. I first tore it in February had the surgery in the beginning of March and got released in July. So be prepared to go through A LOT of recovery. The pain will go away fast and you will feel as if you can walk on it and almost do anything, but don't. you can re tear it and that would not be fun.
        Your doctor probably told you there are two fixes, if the tear is in the outer 20% of the meniscus then he can sew it back and that's what takes so long to recover from. But if the tear is in the other 80% of the meniscus then he has to remove it altogether, with poses risk for arthritis later on, but a much faster recovery.

Usually with this type of injury no surgery is not an option due to the nature of the tear, it can flip-flop and go in the middle of the knee which locks up all movement and is extremely painful, but at other times it can flip back to its normal position and feel fine. The term is "bucket-handle Tear" due to it resembling a bucket handle.

Comment

Originally posted by 99 Fenix View Post
          wow...tour...sorry guys, must be the muscle relaxers
          heh.....you arent suppossed to be posting after taking your Flexeril......

good luck.....
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Wow! A tour of your medial miniscus. That sounds awesome. Like that movie Innerspace.
            Just kiddin. I feel for ya buddy. I hate injuries. I tore my achilles tendon 4 years ago. It healed fully and I can run, jump, etc. just as well as before. But somehow I still favor that leg when doing squats unless I REALLY concentrate on not favoring it.
            "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

thanks for the posts guys...
              hulk i will PM you.
              yea im expecting to be cut open but will do all i can to avoid that. and of course i start a two week vacay after tuesday...lol. im on a regiment of ice, anti-inflamatory, muscle relax, and minimal walking...oh and a knee brace. thanks again guys

Comment

Fenix,

Sorry to hear about your luck. I tore my ACL, and both menisci on June 9 during a burglary call. I had previously injured it and you can read about the whole thing. (Thread Here).

I had ACL reconstruction and medial meniscus repair on June 24. I am now 7 weeks post op and coming along quite nicely. I am hoping to return to full duty Mid/End of October.

Here is what I can recommend in the way of supplements. I started taking the GNC Mega Men Joint Vitapak and Super Cissus.

They've seemed to help. My doctor cleared me to begin light jogging and swimming which is about 1.5 months ahead of normal.

If you have any specific questions you can PM me. My doctor chose to go with the repair due to my age (26) and level of physical activity. The repair can take longer to heal but his thoughts were that it would benefit me in the long run to have a full meniscus instead of a partial one or none at all.
                Brad

Comment

hope for a speedy recovery. glad your ahead of the curve. im 23, so hopefully i will bounce back just as fast

Comment

Just PMed you back, Fenix. Hope it helps and if I can help more let me know.
                    "Anyone can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." - Prefontaine

Comment

i tour my lateral meniscus bout a year ago. while on a field problem got the surgeruy three months ago. i would say my knee is about 90%.

Comment

do you know if they are going to repair or remove? i was told if i repaired that it would just rip again so i just got it removed.

Comment

steven, im not sure what they want to do yet, i'll be at the doc in two hours and as soon as i find out my options, i'll relay. did they offer you a cortisone shot first? i was told they might make me try that before cutting me open (possibly).

Comment

I had mine repaired. According to my doc there are pros and cons. Removing it gives your knee less cushion but you can get back to it right away. Having it repaired requires a little more time off of it but can be beneficial down the road.

Since I also tore my ACL and the other meniscus I was not offered a cortisone shot.

It also depends where the tear is because that will dictate the amount of blood flow to it.

Good luck to you.
                            Brad

Comment

I had a tear of my medial meniscus (left knee) about 3 years ago. The orthopedic surgeon removed the offending piece and the rehab/recovery was too bad at all. As I recall, I was pretty much walking without a limp in about 4-6 weeks and was released for full activity after 3 months. I just suffered another tear of my medial meniscus (same knee) - confirmed by MRI - and am having surgery in about 10 days. My understanding is that recovery is longer for the 2nd or subsequent tear. I'm concerned about how long it's going to take me to return to full duty and/or whether I should continue in this line of work.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9688 users online. 471 members and 9217 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X