300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! Shin splints & 2 fitness tests in 2wks

Hey guys, check it out, I have two physical fitness tests in two weeks on consecutive Saturdays. The second one is more important to me than the first and is also a pre-academy fitness test so it's more difficult than the first one. I'm pretty much gonna use the first one to see where im at and as practice for the 2nd one..

Problem is, my right shin hurts like a mother when i run, and not even all the time. I m going for a massage on Monday to see if it helps but if it doesnt, i wanted some input as to what I could do to help alleviate the pain while I run. I was thinking maybe some type of strap or something. Is there anything I could eat or exercises I could do help??

Thanks in advance

I had the same problem in the academy. Ice them after a run and take high dose of Motrin (Ibruprofen). My doctor also had me do an exercise where I place the balls of my feet on the edge of a step and stretched my heels downward. I'd also to some research on some running web sites...my s/s treatment info was 20+ years ago. Check out these links:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...hinsplints.htm

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...r-shin-splints
    Last edited by BrickCop; 08-06-2010, 05:05 PM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Ok, I ve been doing the step thing for a few weeks now. How often and for how long should it be done for?? Im just concerned about the pain worsening if i do that stretch while the pain is still there.

Comment

I'd consult with an MD who specilaized in ortho is sports medicine. I'm not qualified to give specific info. I am assuming you have quality foot wear. A pair of $40 running shoes usually won't cut it. Also my s/s probelm was because I frequently ran on uneven/ steep graded surfaces.
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Ice and Ibuprofen as stated already! If you are prepared like you should be just rest up this week...

If you must do cardio try a Cybex Arctrainer at your gym. They have less impact than your typical elliptical machine which already has little impact!

Comment

I've said it before, I'll say it again... Strengthening the tibialis anterior (leg muscle on front of the tibia) will resolve most cases of shin splints.

I know someone who experienced them while training for a marathon... he tried stretching, ibuprofin, etc. His leg ended up breaking because he didn't strengthen the tibialis anterior but kept increasing the relative strength of the opposing gastrocnemius (aka, calf).

note: I am not a doctor and am NOT dispensing medical advice. This is my opinion based on my own experiences.
            Last edited by hopperja; 08-08-2010, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
              Ice and Ibuprofen as stated already! If you are prepared like you should be just rest up this week...

If you must do cardio try a Cybex Arctrainer at your gym. They have less impact than your typical elliptical machine which already has little impact!
              Read up on kettlebell training. Find someone who can show you how to use one effectively and safely. While I've never consulted an RKC, I probably should. Kettlebells can be one of the best muscle workouts (for practical strength, not show) while at the same time providing one of the best cardio workouts one can do. Don't believe me? Try 350 snatches (50 sets of 7) with 53 lbs on Tabata intervals, and then tell me it's not effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
                Hopper, it must have been one of your posts I read to get the idea. I know it was someone's here. After reading about strengthening the tibia, I started using this small tibia machine at my gym. I just throw 15lbs on each side of it, and all you do is place your feet in it and move it down (if that makes sense) by extending your foot. I do that 100 times, twice a week, and I haven't had the pains in quite some time. So your theory is effective.
                Well thank you! It certainly has worked for me.

Here's what I've done to eliminate my shin splints:
                1- lay face down on your mattress with your feet hanging (shoeless) over the edge
                2- with the tops of your feet on the side of your mattress, pull your toes/feet into the mattress. Your heel will be the pivot point. I usually grab the far side of my mattress to ensure I don't move anything but my feet.
                3- do 1 set of 125 reps a couple times per week for a few weeks.

For me, relief is immediate. As the tiny stress fractures that are commonly called shin splints heal, the pain goes away for good [so long as your tibialis anterior (shin muscle) stays strong enough proportionately so that the gastrocnemius (calf muscle) isn't able to bend the tibia (shin bone) backwards].

Again, this is not medical advice, as I am not a doctor of any kind. This information is from my own experience and the remedy has worked for me.

Comment

man i had those really bad in the army. i just ran on thm and my legs would eventualy go numb

Comment

I know the feeling, during our training I was in tons of pain and it persisted for about 2 years.

I strongly recommend going to a Fleet Feet and get the PROPER running shoes.

Also look up Pose or Chi running via google to improve your stride, that is the real problem...also a book called born to run.

Originally posted by Stevenservo View Post
                    man i had those really bad in the army. i just ran on thm and my legs would eventualy go numb

Comment

Im not sure it would help but fleet feet recommended i use "The Stick".
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRfx...layer_embedded

Comment

Good call, this is awesome and pretty cheap via amazon

Originally posted by JDH89 View Post
                        Im not sure it would help but fleet feet recommended i use "The Stick".
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRfx...layer_embedded

Comment

+1 for "The Stick"

Really helps after hard runs and intense leg PT. Many of my friends said they didn't need it...........Till they tried it !!!

Comment

A good sports trainer should be able to show you how to tape your lower legs. Shin splints are caused by tears in the fascia that attaches the muscle to the bone and bracing it up can do wonders. Also, ice and anti-inflammatory medication are helpful as already pointed out.
                            "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                            But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                            "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                            We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Originally posted by hopperja View Post
                              I've said it before, I'll say it again... Strengthening the tibialis anterior (leg muscle on front of the tibia) will resolve most cases of shin splints.
                              +1 Reverse calf press or if don't belong to a gym, perhaps reverse calf raise.
                              Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4309 users online. 242 members and 4067 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X