300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pullups

So my pullups kinda suck. In Crossfit, most of the time, we do kipping pullups (it uses a swinging motion that capitalizes on your momentum). Even on these I wear out quickly. On strict pullups, I can only get 2 or 3 good reps before I can't get my chin over the bar anymore.

Any advice or tricks on how I can improve? I guess the obvious one is just do as many as I can every time I go to the gym. How much do you think cable pull downs would help?

Also, this may be obvious, but the hardest part of the pullup for me (the sticking point, if you will) is where my upper arms are parallel to the ground. Is there any trick for working on that part of the pullup?
    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Use a chair w/ one foot for support and the other straight down to catch you in case you fall. The further the chair, the harder the pull up. I got that tip from the P90X video and it helped me. Good luck!

Comment

use the assisted pull ups that's what i do.

Comment

The only thing that makes pullups easier is doing lots of pullups.

M-11
        “All men dream...... But not equally..
        Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
        but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
        for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by jb5722
          M-11 is right, the only thing that will help you get better is more pull ups, and then once you can do 10 regular pull ups without kipping or cheating, start doing weighted pull ups. I added 7 pull ups to my max in a month through weighted pull ups (from 16 to 23).
          Yeah, you and M-11 are probably right. That's what I've heard mostly. I guess that's why I'm so weak in that area.
          We did a Crossfit workout the other day with heavy Bench Press and weighted pullups. I partnered up with a guy with just ridiculous pullup skills. I would have never guessed it. On bench press I was doing a good 30 or so lbs more than him. Then we go to pullups and he adds 50 lbs (weight vest and belt/chain) while I'm struggling with bodyweight.
          "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Do use the bands? I like those since I can only do about 2-3 unassisted at a time.
            Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Actually, what can also help you is to do negatives with your pullups. This will improve your strength in the movement.
              Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

^^ if you can't do anymore, jump up, and let yourself down slowly

Comment

what are neg. pull ups?

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
                    Actually, what can also help you is to do negatives with your pullups. This will improve your strength in the movement.
                    I was wondering if that would help. Might try some of those next time I get tired.

Comment

Originally posted by xjman1990 View Post
                      what are neg. pull ups?
                      FutureVWTrooper pretty much described them. Starting at the top of the pullups (from jumping or climbing a box or something) and then just lowering yourself down as slowly as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEAGENT View Post
                        Do use the bands? I like those since I can only do about 2-3 unassisted at a time.
                        The bands freak me out. I've caught my foot in them a couple times trying to get down and one time my foot slipped out the wrong way and the band snapped me in the junk.

Comment

Lat pulldowns, inverted rows, assisted pullups with someone holding your feet instead of bands (somewhat like learning kipping in crossfit), if you do normal pullups it involves triceps, chin ups involve biceps so it might help to increase the strength of these muscles as well. Pullsups are primarily an upper back workout so focus more on your lats than anything. I remember doing so many pullups for crossfit that I couldn't even raise my arms once since my lats were in so much pain!

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
                            The bands freak me out. I've caught my foot in them a couple times trying to get down and one time my foot slipped out the wrong way and the band snapped me in the junk.
                            Agh! I get a little clumsy when using them too, especially in the middle of a vicious workout.
                            Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

do 4 sets of 10 pullups 3 days a week. it will get easier after a few weeks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9958 users online. 515 members and 9443 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X