Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're looking to add weight/size/strength...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're looking to add weight/size/strength...

It's been awhile since I've posted on here, and as such, I've gone through many changes.

I used to follow a very boring and useless strength training program, largely because I knew nothing better. I then went through the Academy. Then I dabbled with Kettlebells and Crossfit with some barbell work. Finally, I have worked myself into almost exclusive barbell training (deadlift, low bar squat, bench press, overhead press).

I am convinced that if you are in a similar position as I was - skinny and small with tons of endurance and are looking to add size and strength fast, barbell training with a high calorie intake is the only place you should turn. Specifically, at 5'8", I went from 140 to 180 in about 2-3 months.

Anyway, in the interest of not dragging this on, pick up a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, eat a ton of food and drink a ton of milk, and ease up on the cardio for awhile. Read everything you can about Dave Tate, Jim Wendler and the aforementioned Mark Rippetoe.

Just some food for thought...
    "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils"

I'll 2nd the above. Many of the "help me" threads have several people recommending starting strength and GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day)

Comment

Well a freeweight focus is pretty widely accepted for size and strength gains. The high-calorie diet is of course essential as well. However, personally I wouldn't be happy to gain 40 lbs in 2-3 months though as relatively little of that will be muscle. I'd rather a slower gain that leaves me with less fat to burn off later. Some real skinny guys are anxious to gain very fast though as you said so if that's the goal, it's a good plan to follow.
      Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by JT in MD View Post
        It's been awhile since I've posted on here, and as such, I've gone through many changes.

I used to follow a very boring and useless strength training program, largely because I knew nothing better. I then went through the Academy. Then I dabbled with Kettlebells and Crossfit with some barbell work. Finally, I have worked myself into almost exclusive barbell training (deadlift, low bar squat, bench press, overhead press).

I am convinced that if you are in a similar position as I was - skinny and small with tons of endurance and are looking to add size and strength fast, barbell training with a high calorie intake is the only place you should turn. Specifically, at 5'8", I went from 140 to 180 in about 2-3 months.

Anyway, in the interest of not dragging this on, pick up a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, eat a ton of food and drink a ton of milk, and ease up on the cardio for awhile. Read everything you can about Dave Tate, Jim Wendler and the aforementioned Mark Rippetoe.

Just some food for thought...
        damn bro.....its like we share a brain.....i've posted the same thing everywhere i thought someone would listen.....
        we sometimes get some decent dialouge going around here w/ these training principles.....stop by once in a while and chime in.....

what were your gains on SS? i went from 185-217bw, squat from 190ish x5 to 275 x5 in 10wks.

Comment

I'll take my shirt off for you and you might be surprised...

Seriously though, I've found that with some serious training and caloric excess, I'm getting much, much stronger and much bigger. I've thickened up, but I haven't fattened up. Some of this could be genetics though.

Many of us skinny folks have a preconceived notion of what we're "supposed" to look like to be fit (six pack abs, huge arms, etc.). I like the concept over at 70sbig.com. I'll take what I've got now any day of the week over what I had last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
            damn bro.....its like we share a brain.....i've posted the same thing everywhere i thought someone would listen.....
            we sometimes get some decent dialouge going around here w/ these training principles.....stop by once in a while and chime in.....

what were your gains on SS? i went from 185-217bw, squat from 190ish x5 to 275 x5 in 10wks.
            Squat - 225 x 5 to 262.5 x 5, 310 x 1
            Bench - 230 x 1 to 250 x 1
            OH Press - 120 x 1 (I know, I know) to 150 x 1
            Deadlift - 325 to 370

I'm still going linear on Bench and OH Press and I'm working with Texas Method on Squat. Deadlifting once a week at 1 x 5.

Just imagine if more people knew how much progress could be made by doing things this way...

Comment

Squat - 225 x 5 to 262.5 x 5, 310 x 1
              Bench - 230 x 1 to 250 x 1
              OH Press - 120 x 1 (I know, I know) to 150 x 1
              Deadlift - 325 to 370

I'm still going linear on Bench and OH Press and I'm working with Texas Method on Squat. Deadlifting once a week at 1 x 5.

Just imagine if more people knew how much progress could be made by doing things this way...
              you had pretty good #'s for 140.....
              and it looks like everything is moving along as it should. good work.
              may i ask why you switched to texas method for squats? judging from your starting # its looks like you still have some upward movement left in you on starting strength.

the reason people got away from old timey barbell training, i think, has to do w/ the industry. they need SOMETHING new for the magazines every week....the whole fitness industry would dissolve if everyone knew how simple getting strong is. people want to feel like they are doing something new, innovative....so personal trainers have people rolling around on giant rubber balls and dancing around on step ups.

Comment

Many of us skinny folks have a preconceived notion of what we're "supposed" to look like to be fit (six pack abs, huge arms, etc.). I like the concept over at 70sbig.com. I'll take what I've got now any day of the week over what I had last year.
                Once again, I'd rather be lean and big (and healthy) than just big. That website advocates fast food burgers, french fries, milkshakes, ridiculous amounts of eggs, hot dogs, 1000 calories desserts, etc. That's fine if your goal is simply to "be big" but it's a major disease waiting to happen down the line. A few of the trainers at my gym follow that method. To me it just seems like the easy way out of doing it the right way. You won't see any pro bodybuilder or serious athlete eating this garbage regularly.
                Last edited by k9education; 02-23-2010, 11:21 PM.
                Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
                  you had pretty good #'s for 140.....
                  and it looks like everything is moving along as it should. good work.
                  may i ask why you switched to texas method for squats? judging from your starting # its looks like you still have some upward movement left in you on starting strength.
                  The starting numbers were still after some lifting, just not a set, specified program. Anyway, I jumped over to TM because I was finding that recovery was becoming an issue doing volume squats 3x per week. In hindsight, I probably could have tweaked it and made faster gains, but I'm doing pretty well with TM and not feeling totally exhausted all the time. I also briefly tried 5/3/1 but found that it was no where near enough volume for my squats.

Originally posted by k9education
                  Once again, I'd rather be lean and big (and healthy) than just big. That website advocates fast food burgers, french fries, milkshakes, ridiculous amounts of eggs, hot dogs, 1000 calories desserts, etc. That's fine if your goal is simply to "be big" but it's a major disease waiting to happen down the line. A few of the trainers at my gym follow that method. To me it just seems like the easy way out of doing it the right way. You won't see any pro bodybuilder or serious athlete eating this garbage regularly.
                  The eating that you mentioned that's promoted by 70sbig, at least in the short term, will not cause most people adverse health affects. I do agree though that garbage in for quite some time will have a negative impact. For me personally, I actually manage to eat fairly healthy and add protein shakes and lots of milk. It's the ONLY thing that has enabled me to gain weight and once I'm at a weight I'm OK with, it'll be back to a more "normal" diet.
                  Last edited by JT in MD; 02-24-2010, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Very sound advice for the above objective.

Comment

Originally posted by OperatorEX
                      I caution you on that kind of weight gain, especially at the expense of cardio conditioning. I don't care what your 1rm is if you can't get to or stay in a fight cause you gas early.

I'm doing wendler with metcons scaled to 10-20 duration after warmup and lift. A lot slower for gaining mass but I'm always in fighting shape.
                      I agree... to an extent. My feeling behind the weight/strength/size gain was that sure, I can, and have, last in a fight at 140 lbs. However, I'd rather have someone try to toss around someone who's strong weighing 180 lbs. I do have a solid base of conditioning and though I'm taking it easy on the cardio, I am doing at least one metcon a week just to keep the heart pumping. Or I put a decent weight on the bar and squat 20 reps... that'll get the heart thumping.

Good advice though.

Comment

barbell training with a high calorie intake is the only place you should turn. .
                        If strength and increasing LBM is the specific goal, the above: use compound movements, use weights in the 80-90% 1RM range, and eat what ever does not scream when you bite it, is standard advice by any of the coaches worth their weight belt, such as those you listed and others. However, that too has its limits (as the writings of Tate, Wendler, etc will concur with....) and people will then need to learn the lessons found here if they want to make further progress:

Why Your Workouts Suck

Good luck.
                        - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
                          If strength and increasing LBM is the specific goal, the above: use compound movements, use weights in the 80-90% 1RM range, and eat what ever does not scream when you bite it, is standard advice by any of the coaches worth their weight belt, such as those you listed and others. However, that too has its limits (as the writings of Tate, Wendler, etc will concur with....) and people will then need to learn the lessons found here if they want to make further progress:

Why Your Workouts Suck

Good luck.
                          Excellent point. My assumption (whether correct or not) is that the majority of the people on this board will have the ability to make decent gains following linear progression.

Of course, the original reason for posting was to help out the skinny folks (like I used to be) who have never been able to put on weight and are wasting their time at the gym doing curls, tricep extensions, db flies, leg extensions, calf raises, etc.

Going beyond the scope of linear progression goes beyond the scope of what I'm going to spend my time typing about right now!

Comment

Excellent point. My assumption (whether correct or not) is that the majority of the people on this board will have the ability to make decent gains following linear progression.
                            Depends on where they are starting from, but sure, if you have spent most of the time running and doing tricep kick backs and wondering why you aint adding no muscle, a switch to what's discussed above will add strength and size as mentioned. However, also lots of people hitting the gym year in and year out, doing squats, bench press, etc, etc,. making little progress, and the reason for that is outlined in the thread linked to above.
                            - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Of course, the original reason for posting was to help out the skinny folks (like I used to be) who have never been able to put on weight and are wasting their time at the gym doing curls, tricep extensions, db flies, leg extensions, calf raises, etc.

!
                              No matter how many times you post that on here people will start a thread wondering why they are not gaining weight using the above exercises.

It is refreshing that you understand your post is geared towards skinny guys looking to add mass and strength as not everyone is looking for that in fitness.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2138 users online. 125 members and 2013 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X