300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakfast before working out

I was wondering if some one could help me. I am trying to figure out if I should eat breakfast before going to work out, or just get up in the morning work out and then eat breakfast. My goals are to loose weight, and I have lost 20 lbs since January 1st, but want to make sure I am doing it right.

Thanks

I would eat an hour ahead of time. A bowl of oatmeal, sweetened with honey, made with no-fat milk and a cup of yogurt is a pretty good pre-workout meal.

Traditional workout advice was previously to do hardcore cardio work on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning. I don't think it matters if you've eaten or not. If you eat first, then you have more energy to put in a high intensity workout.
    Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

I'll have a bowl of oatmeal with just a little brown sugar for taste when I get up in the morning. Its just enough calories to get the metabolic furnace firing after that long fast over night. This is about 90 minutes before my workout.

Twenty minutes prior to my workout, I have a shake consisting of 30gr whey, 10gr dextrose, and 5gr creatine monohydrate. I also take a free-form BCAA supplement.

My workout is on average between 60-80 minutes. Following the workout, I throw down a shake that is 15gr whey, 15gr casein, and 20gr dextrose.
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

It is kind of what works for you.....I for one cant eat breakfast before my workout (nothing heavy) so I have an apple with 8oz of milk 30-45 min before my morning workout. Kind of have to play around to see what works for you and how well your workout goes.......best of luck and stay strong

Comment

Eat before you workout. The idea that you should starve yourself prior to a workout has been disproven countless times. The ultimate goal is to be lean and muscular, not anorexic.
          Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
            I'll have a bowl of oatmeal with just a little brown sugar for taste when I get up in the morning. Its just enough calories to get the metabolic furnace firing after that long fast over night. This is about 90 minutes before my workout.

Twenty minutes prior to my workout, I have a shake consisting of 30gr whey, 10gr dextrose, and 5gr creatine monohydrate. I also take a free-form BCAA supplement.

My workout is on average between 60-80 minutes. Following the workout, I throw down a shake that is 15gr whey, 15gr casein, and 20gr dextrose.
            Do this but increase the protein and lower the dextrose post workout, IMO.

Comment

If your goal is to lose weight then you should eat immidiately when you wake up to get your metabolism going. It doesn't have to be a full meal. I like to eat a big bowl of brown sugar flavored oatmeal with raisens and a little strawberry protein powder. I save my real breakfast for after the workout.

Comment

The notion of working out on an empty stomach really come form pro bodybuilders, they will do low intensity cardio on an empty stomach to burn fat. Now, these men are on banned substances that preserve muscle tissue and burns fat. If they did high intensity cardio on an empty stomach along with weight training and no substances they would end up anorexic, even thought they do have great genetics.

Me, I have gotten very lean doing cardio first thing in the morning on nothing but coffee and water, then I weight trained in the evening. Well that was when I had time to do that. My suggestion is if you are only doing cardio then you can skip breakfast. However, if you are weight training or doing both cardio and weights then I advise something light like a scoop of whey then maybe some oatmeal or an apple.

As you can see most have posted what works for them, take all of it in and try it, then weed out what does not work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                  Do this but increase the protein and lower the dextrose post workout, IMO.
                  I'll add that this shake combo is fine-tuned to me. I know that if I don't get about 20gr of carbs post-workout, I'll be light headed and froggy the rest of the day. I have a pretty set protein schedule so the 60gr I get during the first 3-4 hours works for me. I really like throwing the casein protein into the post drink because it sticks around longer.
                  Originally posted by kontemplerande
                  Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I usually have a couple pieces of toast with peanut butter before my runs (I'm marathon training so I do some weights but not as much). When I get back within an hour I have a shake and and some breakfast.
                    "Rollin and Patrollin the Wild Wild West of Bham"

Comment

Thank you everyone for getting back to me. I did have some oatmeal this morning with some water, and I feel like I had much better workout.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7799 users online. 189 members and 7610 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X