NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mandatory Fitness Programs?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mandatory Fitness Programs?

    I'm currently finishing my bachelors and I was going to complete a research proposal for a mandatory fitness program for my department. The fitness standards of my department have been declining and I believe a mandatory fitness program would be beneficial to the officers while reducing insurance and workman's comp costs.

    I'm looking for any departments that have implemented mandatory fitness programs and the effects on the department.

  • #2
    We do not have one but I would be interested in knowing how it works for agencies out there.
    Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.


    We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've done a little research so far and it looks like only 2 or 3 large departments have mandatory fitness programs, but then again I only spent an hour or so.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well I do not know, but I think all departments should have a very basic program. You do not have to be an athlete, but at least have a certain amount of physcial prowness.

        Comment


        • #5
          Mandatory fitness should be the rule instead of the exception....pretty sad.
          sigpic"To punish and enslave"

          Comment


          • #6
            A mandatory program will not succeed without $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!

            If it is mandatory, it is on duty and must be paid time, just like the fire department.
            "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

            "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

            Comment


            • #7
              We do not have an on-going training program, but we do complete P.T testing once a year during in service training. You are not required to pass but if you do it looks more favorable on your yearly evaluation. This is then a consideration for special assignments, promotions, and desired outside training.

              You have to be careful about making a program mandatory... you then need to provide department time to train, account for possible injuries (liability), and make sure it falls within the guidelines of your unions contract with the city.
              Retired 02/01/13

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't know about a mandatory fitness program but a mandatory pass on a PT test wouldn't kill anyone. We have some officers here pushing 350+ lbs and that's not good for anyone.
                Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bigcop97 View Post
                  We do not have an on-going training program, but we do complete P.T testing once a year during in service training. You are not required to pass but if you do it looks more favorable on your yearly evaluation. This is then a consideration for special assignments, promotions, and desired outside training.

                  You have to be careful about making a program mandatory... you then need to provide department time to train, account for possible injuries (liability), and make sure it falls within the guidelines of your unions contract with the city.
                  We do not have a mandatory fitness program but we do have a yearly PEB (Physical Efficiency Battery) which consists of:

                  1.5 mile run (time to beat will be based off of your age)
                  Agility run (also time based off of age)
                  Sit and Reach
                  1-rep Max Bench press
                  Body Comp test

                  With all of these our dept will take your score from each of these and average them together for your score, you do have to pass with atleast a 70%, if you do not pass you will be put on leave or light duty(dispatching) and be given 30 days to pass, if after 30 days you do not pass you will be terminated from my understanding.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The reason I was leaning towards a mandatory fitness program was because the health care and workers comp savings should offset the cost to pay officers to workout. If it was voluntary, I don't think the insurance companies would reduce the county's costs. I would still have to contact the insurance companies, our HR, and our workers comp department to see if there would be any savings...but I'm just in the proposal stage right now.

                    I was hoping to find enough information to at least have two test shifts, one with a mandatory exercise program and another with a voluntary compensation workout program. I'm hoping to test both shifts on our fitness test, doing the max they can on every exercise, then re-testing 6 months later to see if they've improved.

                    We have a yearly fitness test, which is a joke, and consists of:

                    1 Rep Max Bench (on machine)
                    1 Rep Max Leg Press (on machine)
                    Max situps in 60 seconds
                    Max steps in 60 seconds
                    Max run on a treadmill
                    Flexibility (though the don't count it)

                    You get a certain number of points per exercise (depending on how well you do) and most people don't even have to do all of the exercises to get their points. Back when I was in better shape, I just had to do the bench, leg press, and situps to get my 10 points.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Everyone else seems to have covered the cost and liability issues.
                      If you really want to push the issue, I suggest you buy a helmet and grow some really thick skin. For some reason, the very mention of physical standards makes some people blow a gasket. Usually the loudest critics are the people who could use the excercise the most...but I digress.
                      It was like that when I got here.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That's the point of the proposal. If I'm counting on someone else to save my life one day, I want someone who will actually get there and be effective.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by The Pike View Post
                          Everyone else seems to have covered the cost and liability issues.
                          If you really want to push the issue, I suggest you buy a helmet and grow some really thick skin. For some reason, the very mention of physical standards makes some people blow a gasket. Usually the loudest critics are the people who could use the excercise the most...but I digress.
                          Personally I think it is the individuals personal life responsibility to maintain some type of fitness level after being hired... Its just part of the career and should be for your family as well. I think once you start mandating ongoing fitness things through your job you open up a big bag of worms....

                          I cant deny the fact I am one of the officers that could use exercise...

                          Actually once it is nicer out I am going to talk to management and see if I can get together a "fun run" group of officers and do a run 3 times a week on a voluntary basis.
                          Retired 02/01/13

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
                            We do not have a mandatory fitness program but we do have a yearly PEB (Physical Efficiency Battery) which consists of:

                            1.5 mile run (time to beat will be based off of your age)
                            Agility run (also time based off of age)
                            Sit and Reach
                            1-rep Max Bench press
                            Body Comp test

                            With all of these our dept will take your score from each of these and average them together for your score, you do have to pass with atleast a 70%, if you do not pass you will be put on leave or light duty(dispatching) and be given 30 days to pass, if after 30 days you do not pass you will be terminated from my understanding.
                            To Add:

                            My dept also participates in what we call a Live Well program, with that being said different areas with offices have live well centers which are little office gyms, we are allowed to use the gym on shift 1 hour a shift on a voluntary basis. If you live more than 15 miles from the closest you will receive gym membership reimbursement.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
                              To Add:

                              My dept also participates in what we call a Live Well program, with that being said different areas with offices have live well centers which are little office gyms, we are allowed to use the gym on shift 1 hour a shift on a voluntary basis. If you live more than 15 miles from the closest you will receive gym membership reimbursement.
                              If you can, can you send me which department you work for through the PM on here and/or a copy of what your policy looks like? I found a federal agency that has mandatory exercise on shift, but its the Wildlife and Game division, which doesn't make it practical for patrol officers.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4176 users online. 234 members and 3942 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X