300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaks

I have been doing my workout now for maybe 7 or 8 weeks. My workout consists of me lifting just free weights with things like sit ups, push ups etc and then doing insanity. Is it ever a good idea just to take a break from it for a week or so? Also if you do take a break what is a good way to keep from putting any weight back on?

I have been at it 18 years, the only reason I keep going injury free is because every 8-10 weeks I take 10 days off. As far as weight gain, I actaully lose weight because I am not training, so my body it not holding as much water in the muscle's, and I drop calories slightly by the fifth day.

Layoffs are the most overlooked aspect to any program. If you can train year round non-stop, well IMO you are not training hard enough to begin with.

Comment

Another question is how do I change up me routine? I am still going to use insanity for cardio because it’s really cold out but how can I change up my weight routine? I only have a couple of dumbbells and some resistance bands. Also I don't have time to go to the gym with high school, my EMT class and no car. So any suggestions on how to change up my weight routine would be appreciated.

Comment

I could have not put it any better then Glock did....your body needs rest while you are training (good night sleep) and needs a break 7-10 days off. Just stay with your healthy eating and every other day do some push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups IMO.

Comment

Thank you all so far for the tips. If anyone else has anymore tips please feel free to say them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sublime View Post
            I have been doing my workout now for maybe 7 or 8 weeks. My workout consists of me lifting just free weights with things like sit ups, push ups etc and then doing insanity. Is it ever a good idea just to take a break from it for a week or so?
            See:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ght=detraining

Good luck.
            - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Sublime;2185177]Another question is how do I change up me routine? I am still going to use insanity for cardio because it’s really cold out but how can I change up my weight routine? I only have a couple of dumbbells and some resistance bands. Also I don't have time to go to the gym with high school, my EMT class and no car. So any suggestions on how to change up my weight routine would be appreciated.[/QU

Cannot really suggest to much because I do not know truly what you are doing for doing weight wise. A home routine is great but you will eventaully outgrow it unless you can stock it decently. Get a bench, an olympic weight set some where to do pull-ups, and a squat rack. Eventually that will be the bare minimum you will need.

Comment

Originally posted by Sublime View Post
                Another question is how do I change up me routine? I am still going to use insanity for cardio because it’s really cold out but how can I change up my weight routine? I only have a couple of dumbbells and some resistance bands. Also I don't have time to go to the gym with high school, my EMT class and no car. So any suggestions on how to change up my weight routine would be appreciated.
                Ross Training Go there and take a look around the forums for workouts, ideas and how to make equipment if needed.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

A friend of mine who is a Phys Ed teacher and certifiable fitness nut recommends a 1-week break from everything every 6 months. Keep eating right and do some low impact stuff like walking during that week. Also, cut your caloric intake if you are doing a lot less physical activity.
                  Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7256 users online. 317 members and 6939 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X