300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a rant...

Ya know I am aggravated as I sit here tonight. Lets be honest for a second here with myself. I am overweight. I am trying to figure out what led me to the condition I am in now... and what I am doing wrong...

I have always been a big guy. I wrestled heavyweight... I was a Lineman in football... I threw shotput.. I did all the stuff that big active kids do when they go through school... I played college football... I had ups and downs with my weight but I was never down in what was considered a healthy weight range... In fact when I played ball they wanted me to be around 280lbs. Keep the weight up and the strength up. Learned how to eat big, drink beer big, and lift big...

So I apply for police jobs and work hard to pass the 1.5 mile run. Policing is all I ever wanted to do with my life and nothing was going to stop me. I pass and get hired at 265Lbs running the 1.5 mile in 12 minutes. The weight is not a problem, I was told I was a "beast" Go through academy where again I occupy my nights lifting heavy in the weightroom... I GAIN weight at the academy and come out at 270 with a 11:45 minute mile and a 380 LB bench.

Fast forward 10 years working the streets and over 3 LBS gained a year. Weight went to 315 Lbs 6'2. I am told I do not look at all that heavy and carry my weight well since I am solid... but everything I read medically and every chart I read says I am a walking heart attack waiting to happen. My cholestrol is good and my B.P runs normal.

I look at people with a healthy weight and thats what I want to be. How many 300 LB 80 year old guys do you see? I have been dieting and lifting since the 1st of the year with dissapointing results for as much as I weigh... I am not cheating but the weight is staying on, some may be turning to muscle or my body in general is just getting stronger and holding onto my fat? Does that make sense? I am not a bodybuilder by any means and I have fat to lose... The funny thing is I am getting in great cardio shape... ??

I am always going to be a big guy, I am not going to quit trying to get in better shape this year... I just had such big expectations of changing my life that I thought a month in I would be so much further than I am. I will post my week 4 weigh in results on thursday on my other blog, but I snuck on the scale this morning and it showed a 2Lb gain from last week... a 300 LB guy eating right and being active...

I just dont get it and I am really bummed tonight...

End of rant...
    Retired 02/01/13

I feel for you, brother. You sound like someone who definitely knows what to do to keep the weight on (healthy weight, I'm sure). Have you thought about getting help from a nutritionist or a good CSCS?

Find a local farm team for a professional sport and hook up with their trainer. If you can afford it, I bet he can help you progress toward your goal. I was entertaining that idea, but didn't have the extra cash to train with the one I found.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

The height/weight charts are complete B.S. for anyone who is an athlete. Muscle weighs more than fat. I'm 5'10," 190 lbs, and have a 34" waist. I'm in good shape. Every height/weight chart I've ever seen, says that I'm overweight. WTF??

If you've been big all your life, you're fine. Especially if your BP, cholesterol, and everything are within normal limits.

Don't stress over it. Just keep a check on those things. You'll be okay.
      Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

Man dont sweat it, you are 6'2" at 320 with a 380 bench at one time, you are packing on some mean muscle mass and that is were a lot of your weight is at. As BCSD Frank had said, the weight/height charts are BS. Maybe 2-3 times a week do some high intensity training after your strength training...best of luck and stay strong

Comment

Heh... One of my junior medics, when I was in the Army, was a bodybuilder. The dude was HUGE and seriously ripped. Everytime we'd come up for a PT test, he'd max it, but he constantly was over the height/weight standard. We'd have to go to the 1st Sergeant's office with anyone who was overweight and measure their waist, etc. Everyone knew about Stevie, so no one ever bothered making him get taped.

Our old 1st Sergeant PCS'd and we got a new one, and he was screaming for me and Stevie to get down to his office pronto. Stevie and I both chuckled and headed down there. The 1st Sergeant was glaring at him and told him to take his shirt off to be measured. Stevie whips his shirt off and the 1st Sergeant's eyes about bugged out. He just growled, "GTFO of my office!!"

We laughed... Good times...

Comment

See a doc who specializes in athletes and sports medicine. Ask them what they think about your health and weight.

Comment

Lots of good advice here. Bigcop stick with it! I've been following your other thread, and you have motivated me to get back on track with my fitness. Just stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcop97 View Post
                I am not cheating but the weight is staying on, some may be turning to muscle or my body in general is just getting stronger and holding onto my fat?
                (1) if you want to know the actual answer to that question, a cheap simple way of testing:

http://www.accumeasurefitness.com/
                - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by bigcop97 View Post
                  Ya know I am aggravated as I sit here tonight. Lets be honest for a second here with myself. I am overweight. I am trying to figure out what led me to the condition I am in now... and what I am doing wrong...

I have always been a big guy. I wrestled heavyweight... I was a Lineman in football... I threw shotput.. I did all the stuff that big active kids do when they go through school... I played college football... I had ups and downs with my weight but I was never down in what was considered a healthy weight range... In fact when I played ball they wanted me to be around 280lbs. Keep the weight up and the strength up. Learned how to eat big, drink beer big, and lift big...

So I apply for police jobs and work hard to pass the 1.5 mile run. Policing is all I ever wanted to do with my life and nothing was going to stop me. I pass and get hired at 265Lbs running the 1.5 mile in 12 minutes. The weight is not a problem, I was told I was a "beast" Go through academy where again I occupy my nights lifting heavy in the weightroom... I GAIN weight at the academy and come out at 270 with a 11:45 minute mile and a 380 LB bench.

Fast forward 10 years working the streets and over 3 LBS gained a year. Weight went to 315 Lbs 6'2. I am told I do not look at all that heavy and carry my weight well since I am solid... but everything I read medically and every chart I read says I am a walking heart attack waiting to happen. My cholestrol is good and my B.P runs normal.

I look at people with a healthy weight and thats what I want to be. How many 300 LB 80 year old guys do you see? I have been dieting and lifting since the 1st of the year with dissapointing results for as much as I weigh... I am not cheating but the weight is staying on, some may be turning to muscle or my body in general is just getting stronger and holding onto my fat? Does that make sense? I am not a bodybuilder by any means and I have fat to lose... The funny thing is I am getting in great cardio shape... ??

I am always going to be a big guy, I am not going to quit trying to get in better shape this year... I just had such big expectations of changing my life that I thought a month in I would be so much further than I am. I will post my week 4 weigh in results on thursday on my other blog, but I snuck on the scale this morning and it showed a 2Lb gain from last week... a 300 LB guy eating right and being active...

I just dont get it and I am really bummed tonight...

End of rant...
                  Ok, I think we might have been separated at birth. No seriously, I know exactly what you're talking about. I can relate to EVERYTHING you are saying, and I do mean EVERYTHING. I am nearly the exact same build, exact same history, exact same strengths and exact same weaknesses and exact same struggles. I was a division I wrestler at heavyweight and did all the big kid activities and was lead down the same big kid lifestyle. I took the same career path and my numbers running wise were not as good as yours but running was always a weakness of mine. My best mile time to date is 12:48.

I lost a lot of weight recently. I was 6'2 291 and felt really depressed. I was working out but not really serious about it. I maintained my endurance, and I know EXACTLY what you mean about being a bigger guy and OUTENDURING most 5'10 175 lb "fit" guys. I am not as strong as you either. My best bench is about 315.

This is what made the difference for me:

Being a bigger guy is genetics. Being fat is a choice. I can't change genetics, but I can lose weight. I made a total commitment to a LIFESTYLE change and it sounds like you have too. I am super strict with my eating. I mean, I don't eat garbage any more. No fries, no pizza, MINIMAL beer, no fried foods, no bleached or enriched white breads. Nothing. There have been times that I have slipped. Like last week I got pizza but ate two slices and ate other veggies with it too. I cheated over christmas and gained 5 lbs. But, I lost it. What I have learned from all this is that there is NO ROOM for eating poorly. If we do it there are consequences, but you can always recover from them. I cheat, I gain a little weight, but I take it back off by working really hard. I have also come to grips with the fact that THIS IS THE WAY IT IS. I can't change it, all I can do is manage it. I sacrifice the joy of eating with the pain of the gym and my cardio and it works. I maintain my weight around 240-235.

This is what worked for me, and if you continue doing what you're doing and be strict about your diet, you're going to see results. Hang in there!
                  "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

When I'm in a workout regimen, I usually work out Monday through Friday and let myself recuperate on Saturday. Sunday is my "free day." On Sunday, I'll order pizza, have a bowl of ice cream, have a soda, or whatever else I've been craving.

Then Monday, I hit my workouts that much harder because of the "sins" of Sunday. What's important, is that Sunday alleviates the stress, and I'm more likely to stick with my program because I'm not being a total Nazi with myself.

What's interesting, is that around the third week, Cokes, ice cream, cookies... They all become so cloyingly sweet, I lose my craves for them.

Comment

f the scale. get a body fat % and go off that

Comment

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                        Last edited by _GLOCK_; 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Wow, guys and gals.. thanks for the responses... really hit home with me... I really appreciate you writing out your thoughts and I honestly take everything to heart.

I feel a lot better about myself and feel refreshed and motivated
                          Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Hooah!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8051 users online. 225 members and 7826 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X