Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I doing this right? Or do I need a change?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I doing this right? Or do I need a change?

First off I know I haven't been doing this for a long stretch, just not sure if I am doing something wrong or need to change it up.

When I started getting ready for the academy(new hire for corrections) I was 6'2 255lbs. I am 29 I was a smoker, ate junk food (fast food), soda, no working out. In the past few weeks I have been going to the gym everyday (with a resting day 1 day a week) with one day being cardio (couch to 5k) averaging about 2.25 miles every other day. On the other days I do some weight lifting I use the machines and some free weights (for about an hour) I feel lost there when I am not running. I'm a big guy and can hold my own with weight when doing things around my house, but when it comes to weights at the gym I struggle.

I drink a pre-workout protein shake with 5g glutamine, and when I get back I eat chicken breast or a salad or another protein shake. As for food I have cut out all the fast food, soda, sugar, and most starch carbs. Also quit smoking. From a pack a day to nothing. I focus on eating chicken breast, salad with a vinaigrette dressing, veggies, turkey breast sandwich, and lots of water. I am down to 239-242 depending on the day and its been that way for the last week. Do I need to change it up to break the hold at 240ish. I also don't look like I am losing weight. I have tried looking online for some info but there is a million sites out there, all with different info.

Any help you guys/girls could give me would be of great help.
    Last edited by GoDucks; 01-25-2010, 04:44 AM. Reason: .
    "The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not: Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

Any idea whats better for cardio running, or getting on a bike. Its alot easier to ride a bike a couple miles than running for 2.5 miles. I am wondering if I do the couch to 5k. Rest/water. Then do a couple miles on the bike. I do this at a gym til the weather gets a little better here then I'll take the running outside.
    "The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not: Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

Comment

I've read tons of stuff that indicates that glutamine taken orally is worthless.
      Plateauing for a week is nothing to worry about. Try throwing in an extra workout somewhere and eating extra strict.. also increase your water intake.
      I don't know what kind of weight lifting you do, but I'm guessing it's not the kind that's good for losing weight. Most weight lifting that most people do at a gym is not very high cardio.
      Checkout Crossfit.com for some good workout ideas. As far as weights go, for losing weight, dynamic compound movements with little or no rest between exercises.
      "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
        I've read tons of stuff that indicates that glutamine taken orally is worthless.
        Plateauing for a week is nothing to worry about. Try throwing in an extra workout somewhere and eating extra strict.. also increase your water intake.
        I don't know what kind of weight lifting you do, but I'm guessing it's not the kind that's good for losing weight. Most weight lifting that most people do at a gym is not very high cardio.
        Checkout Crossfit.com for some good workout ideas. As far as weights go, for losing weight, dynamic compound movements with little or no rest between exercises.
        +1 on the water, compound movements, and especially Crossfit.
        Crossfit is awesome. It's a great way to burn fat. Also, full body workouts with weights will help induce fat loss vs. split day training. Maybe try a circuit training program using free weights to change it up.
        The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
          3200 calories for 1 pound. You went from 255 to 239. That could be your "newbie" gains. Your body reacts immediately to working out, the diet, etc, and you will drop water weight, quick fat, etc and show fast results. Eventually they do level out, like you noticed. Just continue burning calories and dieting. Increase your cardio, and you will notice more gains. The average person if they are doing everything right, loses 1 pound a week.
          Thanks everyone for the info. I will try to increase the cardio, plus work on the nutrition. I feel 100% better than I did before, no more allergies in the morning, no sore knee (knee surgery 3 years ago). The motivation to do all this, is this job I have wanted for a long long time. I should have been working on this a long time ago. Again thanks everyone for the info, I'll just push myself harder.

Comment

+1 for the "Abs diet for men" great book and must have for easy meal plans....++1 for CrossFit, I have been an avid weight lifter for about 15 yrs and last yr was introduced to CrossFit and it is the most challenging program that I have come across. For your cardio workouts, try doing sprints 1min at 80% run and 1min at a fast walk and each week increase the sprint by 15 to 30 seconds and shorten the fast walk by the same.....Best of luck and stay strong

Comment

Get a cheap caliper from GNC or wherever. I use it one of two ways, when I am getting ripped I check the caliper because if I am losing about a pound a week I check the caliper to see if it changed. Basically it tells me if I am losing muscle or fat. When I am gaining I take pinches to montior whether or not it is fat or muscle. I just pinch the stomach and record since that is the easiest place to test. Right now my pinch is the same at 240 as it was at 220 which tells me I have gained that much muscle in the last year.

Lastly go by the mirror and the way clothes your clothes fit. 6'2 240 of muscle will look more imposing than 6'2 200 skin and bones.

Comment

Originally posted by Whatsthe2ndDfor
                Abs Diet and H.I.I.T. (High Intensity Interval Training...sprint, fast walk, sprint, etc..)? Sounds like you like Men's Health Magazine!

I just checked out Crossfit, as I've hopefully got a federal agency's PTT coming up, and I want to be in phenomenal shape for the academy and for myself. Looks like it's my dream program. I'll be hopping onto it after the next rest day, but modifying some of them to fit the "rules" of my gym (not going to be dropping weights like an OH squat).

If you want to spend about $140, I recommend P90x, as it gives you a meal plan, and a workout plan that incorporates muscular confusion.

Still, $14 and the Abs diet gives you the skills you need for life. Been a different man ever since.
                I do follow some of Mens Health, for the most part some good advice. Same boat as you, gym will not allow any dropping of the weights, but I focus more on bench, squat, overhead press, deadlift and clean and jerk. Then do the WOD on CrossFit followed by HIIT for cardio.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12986 users online. 479 members and 12507 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X