300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "Critique My Workout" Thread

Looking for some advice/guidance. First my goals: Overall I am in good, but really thin shape. Cardio wise I have no issues. I want muscle. Lots of muscle.

Diet: I do a lot of high protein stuff. My goal is 1.5-2 grams of protein per kilo of body weight per day. This is mixed through shakes, cerial, tuna fish, chicken, etc.

Mon/Wed/Friday Workouts:

1. Hammer Curls 4x8
    2. Tricep Press Downs 4x8
    3. Bench Press 4x8
    4. Crunches 100-150 set
    5. Isolation Bicep Curls 4x8
    6. Overhead Tricep Press 4x8
    7. Incline Press 4x8
    8. Leg Raises or Flutter Kicks 1 set to failure
    9. Two handed Bicep Curls OR Close Grip pulldowns
    10. Tricep Dips 1 set to failure
    11. Side Pull Downs/Shoulder Work

Tuesday:

Group PT at work (run, yoga, cardio in general)

Thursday/Saturday:

Nothing as of yet

So I'm looking for stuff to add. While I am deffinately interested in functional fitness, I want the beach muscles.

getting big and strong is easier than a lot of gym rats would have you believe.

to get big, you need to eat big. lots of meat, eggs, whole milk, vegetables, oats, etc

to get strong, you need to be lifting heavy. the most important lifts to be doing are squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press.....pullups and dips also have their place.

you aren't doing any of this.

to gain mass you need a caloric excess, which with lots of working out requires a LOT of food.

you don't need to be doing multiple types of curls 3x a week......you could drop curls completely and be no worse off

i reccommend to anyone w/ your goals, a book called 'starting strength' by mark rippetoe. he goes in depth on how to properly learn and execute the lifts i listed above. it also outlines a very simple program based on those lifts that'll have you in the gym 3x per week and adding weight to the bar every workout.
    i did his program and went from 185-217 bodyweight and went from 195x5 to 275x5 on my squat in 10weeks

Comment

Dr Peebody is right on.

I'm in the same situation as you, very thin ectomorph. It is hard, I know, but the method is simple. Eat big, lift big. I have really buckled down and already put on 6 lbs in two weeks, which is crazy for me. You also have to realize that you have to put on fat too, honestly more fat than muscle. You can lean down after puting on some mass.

Start counting calories first of all. I always thought I was eating tons but I really wasn't. If have a metabolism like me you need 3500 calories a day to gain at all. Look up GOMAD (Gallon of milk a day). So far it has been helping me immensely. Eat every few hours and pound the milk down, protein shakes, etc.

And he's completely right about lifting, you are doing way too much isolated stuff. You need the basic big compound lifts, bench, deadlift, squats. The starting strength program is great for strength and mass. Just do 3X5 or 5X5 simple routines with heavy weight.

Check out stronglifts.com and this http://startingstrength.com/articles...t_rippetoe.pdf

Comment

i call milk my ''magic growin juice''

Comment

GOMAD and Starting Strength is right.

You need less curls and more full body HEAVY lifts.

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
            GOMAD and Starting Strength is right.

You need less curls and more full body HEAVY lifts.
            a wise man once told me: "curls, are like mustard.....if you want to put a little mustard on your sandwich, great....if you want to eat a BOWL full of mustard, youre an *****"

Comment

OP:

I hope you have figured it out by now with help from the previous posts.

Drop the silly isolation exercises for you biceps and start lifting weights. Deadlift, deadlift, deadlift, squats, shoulder press (standing), bench, bent over rows, pull ups and dips.

You could only do deadlifts once a week and nothing else and your arms would gain more mass than doing curls every other day...

Comment

Starting Strength is the easiest way to get strong quickly, if you're willing to put in the time under the bar and at the dinner table. The bookStarting Strength BBT, goes over the main lifts (how to do them correctly) and also goes over some useful assistance exercises as well. The program is really simple, all you need to do like I said before, is put in the time under the bar and at the dinner table. I would also recommended the Starting Strength forum to you:

www.startingstrength.com

This article: http://startingstrength.com/articles...t_rippetoe.pdf READ IT
                Last edited by radiator41; 01-25-2010, 09:24 AM.

Comment

lotta rippetoe/starting strength love in this thread.....think i got something in my eye....

i'm headed for the NJ certification in april.....anyone else ever do one?

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
                    Looking for some advice/guidance. First my goals: Overall I am in good, but really thin shape. Cardio wise I have no issues. I want muscle. Lots of muscle.

Diet: I do a lot of high protein stuff. My goal is 1.5-2 grams of protein per kilo of body weight per day. This is mixed through shakes, cerial, tuna fish, chicken, etc.

Mon/Wed/Friday Workouts:

1. Hammer Curls 4x8
                    2. Tricep Press Downs 4x8
                    3. Bench Press 4x8
                    4. Crunches 100-150 set
                    5. Isolation Bicep Curls 4x8
                    6. Overhead Tricep Press 4x8
                    7. Incline Press 4x8
                    8. Leg Raises or Flutter Kicks 1 set to failure
                    9. Two handed Bicep Curls OR Close Grip pulldowns
                    10. Tricep Dips 1 set to failure
                    11. Side Pull Downs/Shoulder Work

Tuesday:

Group PT at work (run, yoga, cardio in general)

Thursday/Saturday:

Nothing as of yet

So I'm looking for stuff to add. While I am deffinately interested in functional fitness, I want the beach muscles.
                    Several books have suggested exercise order ie working out muscle groups largest to smallest. The theory is that the larger muscle groups fatigue slower than smaller groups. So you get to lift the maximum weight possible and in theory gain more mass/strength.

A few questions:

Are you supersetting bi's and tri's? Is there a specific reason you arranged your workout this way?

Also, I don't see any lat pulldowns or rows, and most importantly don't see any deadlifts or squats.
                    The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10812 users online. 510 members and 10302 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X