300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake up call...

Those of you that check these threads often know that I have been on a diet since the first of the year. I sat down with a personal trainer today and went over my workout and my diet... Tell me what you agree with and dont agree with that he suggested to me. My goals are weight loss and maintain my strength (if not gain a little).

Workout: I had been going in the gym and doing my cardio first and lifting afterwards... he advised me to switch this around as it will help to burn more fat. My workout was kind of jumbled. He told me to keep it real simple. I am supposed to do a Push / Pull /Core/ Legs I am supposed to alternate those exercises. So I do a push then a pull 5 times each alternating and then a core and then legs alternating 5 times each. Takes about 30 minutes and really slams the whole body. By the time I was done with him I was beat...

Diet: I am not eating near enough. I should be eating 5-7 smaller meals a day. One of the "meals" can be a protein shake. Supposed to eat good stuff high in protein and nutrients. When we went through my diet he told me I was starving myself. He said I have to eat food to lose weight and burn fat. I thought protein shakes make people gain weight?

So gave me a lot to think about... My only complaint is that I want to focus on cardio and by the time we get done doing the core/legs alternating lifting my legs were shot and I could not run. Maybe this will level out when I get used to lifting legs again. He said I am really missing out by not lifting legs... it is some of the biggest muscles on the body and can really get fat burning going...

My weigh in for my third full week of dieting is tommorrow morning (thursday)... and then starting tomorrow I am going to start incorporating some of the diet and workout stuff he suggested.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
    Retired 02/01/13

I think it sounds great. As I understand it is full body, and you slam it hard and fast. If you have energy left over you could do some cardio as you had already suggested, perhaps later when you aren't as wiped out, or if you find a different mode of doing it. As far as the push/pull/core/legs. You usually make the most gains in what you start with. A good role of thumb is to always switch it up, however, its also good to start with the biggest lifts, for example, the legs, and save the smaller ones, like the core, for the end, however, at your level, it doesn't matter. It sounds like you have a good trainer. What are your sets and reps looking like? Are you doing free weights? Are you doing any isolations or all compounds?

Comment

The changes sound very good, remember cardio has its place in a program. However, imagine if you soley focused on cardio, or better yet, have you ever seen anyone you wanted to look like that did only cardio. I never have, cardio has its place at the end because by then you have burned up glycogen stores therefore making it easier for your body to access fat stores.

Your trainer sounds good to me, give him/her time and you will reach your goals good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam354 View Post
        I think it sounds great. As I understand it is full body, and you slam it hard and fast. If you have energy left over you could do some cardio as you had already suggested, perhaps later when you aren't as wiped out, or if you find a different mode of doing it. As far as the push/pull/core/legs. You usually make the most gains in what you start with. A good role of thumb is to always switch it up, however, its also good to start with the biggest lifts, for example, the legs, and save the smaller ones, like the core, for the end, however, at your level, it doesn't matter. It sounds like you have a good trainer. What are your sets and reps looking like? Are you doing free weights? Are you doing any isolations or all compounds?
        I told him I wanted a workout that will kick my butt in around 30 minutes and be overall good... so most everything is compound.
        Today we rotated between the Incline bench press machine and the sitting row machine. 5 sets of each with 15 reps. The reps on the last few sets need to be barely able to get...and you keep moving.. dont shuffle your feet between the machines. Then I did the leg sled alternating with a standing lunge.. again 5*15. OMG my legs were absolutely on fire. He told me the lunge is a lot of legs but a great core as well. We then did some more core rotating a sitting scissor kick for 30 seconds and 15 crunches 5 each...

The alternating exercise can be any variation of free weights/machines or whatever as long as it follows the basic principle a push/pull

He told me I can add Iso's if I want (bicep curl etc). But was just showing my the basics of what I should hit..

Thanks for your reply
        Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Training: The training looks good. 30-45 minutes is great for a workout. Finishing up this quickly ensures that you are keeping your heart rate up and not resting too long between sets. Over an hour in the gym can become catabolic.

Diet: He is right about eating several smaller meals. This will give your metabolism a good boost. Also, protein is not only for people wanting to gain weight. Protein will play a vital role in you maintaining the muscle you have worked hard for while dieting.

Aim for atleast 1g per lb. of bodyweight. I would suggest keeping carbohydrate early in the day and taper them down after 5pm. This will ensure that you are not having energy stored up as fat while you sleep. Complex carbohydrates are the way to go (i.e oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes). Simple carbs (i.e white bread) will metabolize into sugar.

Supplementation: I would invest in some BCCA's for during and around your workouts. You mentioned that you felt gassed on leg days, well these will keep you fueled. My personal recommendation is Xtend from Scivation.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sv/xtend.html
          Coupon Code: 10PerOffScivation
          A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. - General George Patton

Comment

I believe the allotted 35-45 minutes was time spent lifting. Cardio is done after that. This is yet another reason why having a good BCAA supplement to sip on during training and cardio is imperative. That way you don't have to worry about rushing home to get a protein shake in order to take advantage of the anabolic window.
            A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. - General George Patton

Comment

A 30-45 min workout is perfect for what hes trying to do. Working out quickly with little rest between sets is the best way to burn fat and build some lean mass. I couldn't agree more about getting some BCAAs for your workout. I take 5 grams of pure BCAA during weight training and 5 more right after weights and before cardio. It works wonders and eliminates the risk of catabolism with doing cardio. I like like pure BCAAs with no fillers or flavors. I get all my pure supplements from nutrabio.com

http://nutrabio.com/Products/BCAA.htm

good luck
              Former: K-9/Drug Interdiction Officer

Helicopter pilot "non-LE"

sigpic

Comment

Well im not a big fan of full body workouts at all but if you like it keep doing it. And personally I think around an hour is better for a workout. And why are you doing 15 reps its not like that's gonna help you burn more fat than 8-12 reps burning fat is mostly diet and cardio. Like your trainer and everyone else said cardio after weights is better for burning fat and you will build more muscle because you will have more energy when you lift. He is right about the diet and no protein shakes arent only for people who want to gain weight protein only has 4 calories per gram.

Comment

Originally posted by thatoneguy88 View Post
                  Well im not a big fan of full body workouts at all but if you like it keep doing it. And personally I think around an hour is better for a workout. And why are you doing 15 reps its not like that's gonna help you burn more fat than 8-12 reps burning fat is mostly diet and cardio. Like your trainer and everyone else said cardio after weights is better for burning fat and you will build more muscle because you will have more energy when you lift. He is right about the diet and no protein shakes arent only for people who want to gain weight protein only has 4 calories per gram.
                  15 Reps is just what he suggested... and with his size I was not going to argue with him

Overall my workout including my cardio is around an hour. In the past when I was on my big fitness kicks I would go to the gym for almost 2 hours at a time...(30 minutes spent BS'ing) I have a small baby at home and just dont have the time to put in the gym like I used to.

The overall workout gets me burning everywhere and the cardio tops me off.
                  Retired 02/01/13

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5540 users online. 244 members and 5296 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X