Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggs

Quick question,

In the past two years i lost around 70lbs (in the past year ive maintained my weight not gaining or losing) but even with 70lbs lost i am still 250lbs.

I want to get down to 210, im on a 6'1' from and not ridiculously built but being 22 and having really good strength from high school football days that have still carried over quite a bit my arms and legs are pretty solid, but like most the stomach and the love handle area is still sittin there laughing at me.

Anywho, my diet consists of a lot of fish with lemon juice and a little garlic powder, cantalope (sp?), cottage cheese, chicken, and peas/carrots/beans, but most mornings i like to make an egg and cheese w/ mushroom omelette. i usually use 1-2 oz slices of mozzarella cheese (80 cals per slice) and i use 3 eggs. now this is where things get iffy, i use ALL of the egg, instead of egg whites. Now i know the benefit to just using egg whites without the yolk, but the questioin is would using whole eggs be keeping me from my weight loss?

thanks for your time.
    sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
    Rocky Balboa
    Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

I am not a nutritionist. Seems a first step would be to cut to 1 slice of cheese and try to cut 1 yolk out. That will cut 140 calories, fat, etc right there, and still leave most of the flavor you are accustom to. Watch what you use to grease the pan...i.e. butter etc. Also, I hard boil eggs by the dozen and eat 3 a day, trashing most of the yolk but keeping just enough to make me happy.

Googled and found:

http://www.dietbites.com/eggcalories.html
    "
    Calories in Egg Yolks

The yolk is extremely high in cholesterol, containing more than two-thirds of the recommended daily limit of 300 mg! However, the yolk has many health strengths necessary for immunity, healthy skin, nerves and vision. The yolk contains good amounts of B Vitamins, Vitamin A, iron and riboflavin.

Calories in Egg Whites

Egg whites are very low in calories, have no fat, no cholesterol, and are loaded with protein.

Calories Based on one large egg:

Egg White 17 calories

Egg Yolk 59 calories

Fried Egg 92 calories

Hard-Boiled Egg 76 calories

Poached Egg 76 calories

Scrambled Egg 100 calories (includes addition of milk in recipe)
    "

Comment

Yolks are not going to keep you from your goal as much as the cheese.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

I think i will try and instead of using cheese slices maybe sprinkle a very light layer of shredded cheese. Back when i first started my weightloss i followed the atkins diet and lost 25lbs very quickly but then his a very big plateau. In the atkins diet cheese was viewed as being limitless as far as using it in your meals, but as i read more it seems that cheese can be a big no no lol

thanks!
        sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
        Rocky Balboa
        Rocky IV (1985)

Comment

The simplest easiest advice I can give someone is

Man Made = Bad or not very good

God Made = Good

I focus more on the type of food I eat opposed as to how much.

Comment

Enforcer,
            I have been on a diet since the first of the year. I eat breakfast like a champ, two hard boiled eggs every morning when I first get up (around 05:00am) and a bowl of cereal.

Because of the high protein etc I found that these eggs will actually hold me until lunch time 11:00 ish. They help keep me from snacking and I dont feel like I am dragging like I used to on past diets...

Eggs have a lot of good stuff in them, check out www.incredibleegg.org/

Cheese labels tend to read pretty high in fat and calories for the little bit of food they supply. They do sell fat free cheese but seems like the sodium is still pretty high... maybe skip the cheese all together and throw in a fresh cut tomato or peppers?

Congratulations on your weight loss thus far and best of luck... keep checking in and let us know how things are going

BigCop
            Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Darn this thread, I am hungry for an omelet now.
              All great advice given. Do you work out? Your diet (minus chees etc) seems to be very clean.
              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawenforcer72 View Post
                Quick question,

In the past two years i lost around 70lbs (in the past year ive maintained my weight not gaining or losing) but even with 70lbs lost i am still 250lbs.

I want to get down to 210, im on a 6'1' from and not ridiculously built but being 22 and having really good strength from high school football days that have still carried over quite a bit my arms and legs are pretty solid, but like most the stomach and the love handle area is still sittin there laughing at me.

Anywho, my diet consists of a lot of fish with lemon juice and a little garlic powder, cantalope (sp?), cottage cheese, chicken, and peas/carrots/beans, but most mornings i like to make an egg and cheese w/ mushroom omelette. i usually use 1-2 oz slices of mozzarella cheese (80 cals per slice) and i use 3 eggs. now this is where things get iffy, i use ALL of the egg, instead of egg whites. Now i know the benefit to just using egg whites without the yolk, but the questioin is would using whole eggs be keeping me from my weight loss?

thanks for your time.
                get on that treadmill!! At least 40 minutes run 1 min walk 2 this will brn the most calories. try to eat every 3 hrs 7 times a day 300 a meal. I work as a personal trainer been doing it for years.

Comment

Just want to thank everyone for the replies thus far, very good advice on this thread.

My cardio i agree needs to be bumped up, i typically only have been doing around 30minutes maybe 3 times a week if i am lucky, but it looks like i will need to bump up about 4-5 days worth. Maybe do 30min in morning and 30 at night, add in some of the jumping jack/mountain climber/pushups and what not to get the cardio rollin.

Oh and just an extra little tip for anyone who happens to see this. The Wii in the past has been used by many as a method of "excercise," i use to cringe when people told me this because i thought Wii Fit was a joke to be honest. Well recently i stumbled upon the biggest loser game for Wii and i have to say that the game is pretty ridiculous. I set it on intermediate workouts, 30 minutes of all differend kinds of stuff and it kicked my butt. So if anyone asks, i reccommend it! lol
                  sigpic

Rocky Balboa
                  Rocky IV (1985)

Comment

Quick question,

thanks for your time.
                    I eat 2 whole eggs and 4-5 egg whites every morning. eggs are great for you and eating 3 whole eggs every morning isn't what is holding your weight loss goals back. as far as cholesterol goes...eggs have actually been found to lower bad cholesterol levels in our bodies. i'm not saying eat 6 whole eggs every morning but 3 whole eggs are fine. personally, if you are weighing 250 pounds you prob need a bigger breakfast than a 3 egg omelet. kick start your metabolism early in the day and follow it up with 4-5 healthy high protein meals. also, how much fish are you actually eating?? fish is great but too much is too much fat (even though it is good omega 3 fats). you might think about changing a few of your fish meals to chicken breast if you are eating that much of it. you should be concentrating on getting your protein needs met and working out hard. and at least a gallon of water a day.

Comment

I usually tend to eat between 6-8oz of fish daily, the other meal usual being chicken. typically its almost guaranteed that daily ill eat atleast 3 eggs, 6 oz of fish, and 6-8 oz of chicken. With peas/corn/beans mixed in as well as cantaloupe being my main source of fruit.
                      sigpic

Rocky Balboa
                      Rocky IV (1985)

Comment

I usually tend to eat between 6-8oz of fish daily, the other meal usual being chicken. typically its almost guaranteed that daily ill eat atleast 3 eggs, 6 oz of fish, and 6-8 oz of chicken. With peas/corn/beans mixed in as well as cantaloupe being my main source of fruit.
                        ok..thats fine. but eggs, fish, and chicken only account for 3 meals. how many meals are you eating a day? what else are you eating for breakfast besides eggs? peas/corn/ and beans are good and all but you need to mix in some other veggies with more nutritional value like broccoli, spinach, and asparagus. asparagus actually has some natural diretic capabilities and is great for weight loss. are you drinking at least a gallon of water a day? hopefully you are over salting your foods if you are trying to lose weight but are you?

basically what i am getting at is that there are a lot more factors to losing weight than what has been mentioned in this thread so far. you need to take all these into account when your weight loss plateus. changing even one thing that you may be doing wrong or making one thing better will allow you to lose more weight. cardio allows us to lose weight at a quicker pace but techinically if you are over weight and eating how you should be cardio is just an added bonus. not trying to knock the biggest loser game or jumping jacks and pushups but it sounds like you may need to put together a better cardio routine. also you have mentioned a weight training regiment. do you have one? weight training is a great way to burn calories.

Comment

Originally posted by _GLOCK_ View Post
                          The simplest easiest advice I can give someone is

Man Made = Bad or not very good

God Made = Good

I focus more on the type of food I eat opposed as to how much.
                          This rule can be used for basically any question of, "Should I eat this or not?". The exception would obviously be supplements :-p
                          Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

You gotta be careful with that fish man, if you eat it every day, you're going to get mercury poisoning, no fun.
                            Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hitthegym View Post
                              You gotta be careful with that fish man, if you eat it every day, you're going to get mercury poisoning, no fun.
                              Definately dont want that, most of the fish i eat is salmon (not sure if that matters as far as mercury goes)

as far as weight training, yes the weight training is going on.
                              its very basic,

basically monday- chest, tri, cardio, abs

tues- back, biceps, shoulders, Cardio

Wed- lower body, abs, no cardio

Thursday- hoping for around 45-hour of cardio in morning, then rest

Friday- repeat rotation of monday

Saturday- repeat tuesday

Sunday- Completely Off

The cardio has just been added like this, this past week. And the biggest loser video game is just added in as fun whenever i have time to do it.

It also sounds as if i need to add two more meals to my daily.

I usually eat around 1800 cals, which i tend to eat arond 600 cals per meal, maybe dropping to 400 cals per meal, 5 a day and a 2000 cal load would help.
                              sigpic

Rocky Balboa
                              Rocky IV (1985)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4550 users online. 250 members and 4300 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X