300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull Ups

I'm 6'3 235 Lbs, so I hate pull ups like you wouldn't beleive, but unfortunately I need to do them.

I wanted to make up a posting to offer anyone who struggles like I do, some advice on what worked for me to make improvements.

I started out at the gym on the stupid pull up machine. Over time, I lost 55 lbs of bodyweight which really helped.

I started off on the pull up machine with 130 lbs of "balance weight" and worked my way down to 40 lbs x 10 Reps, 35 lbs x 8 Reps, 30 lbs x 6 reps and 25 lbs x 4 reps. Boring, long, and VERY slow gains over months of work with this.

My REAL significant gains came with adding two different exercises in addition to the machine.

Dead man hangs: Pulling myself up with my chin over the bar and hanging until my arms gave out. I do this for 4 sets and gradually try to add more time to my hanging.

Lat pull downs: I do my underhanded grip since I do my pull ups underhanded, pulling down in front of my body 4 sets 10, 8, 6, 4 reps with high weight.

I try doing actual pull ups about 2 times per week and I feel dramatically stronger after adding these exercises than I have in 6 months of doing the pull up machine alone.

I'm not saying that this will work for everyone, and adding more exercises is common sense for getting stronger, but I just thought I would post this since it really helped me in case anyone else is struggling with them.
    "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Put a pull-up bar in the door frame of your room and do them every time you walk by. Not to failure (ie if your max is 4, do 2 every time you walk by). Do it every hour on the hour if you want.

This technique is called "Grease the Groove." Here is an article describing how it works:

http://humanmachine.wordpress.com/20...-for-strength/

I have used this for push-up and greatly increased the amount I can do at one time.
    A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. - General George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by urbancowboy View Post
      Put a pull-up bar in the door frame of your room and do them every time you walk by. Not to failure (ie if your max is 4, do 2 every time you walk by). Do it every hour on the hour if you want.

This technique is called "Grease the Groove." Here is an article describing how it works:

http://humanmachine.wordpress.com/20...-for-strength/

I have used this for push-up and greatly increased the amount I can do at one time.
      ^^ this and PM replied to OP.
      www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11137 users online. 489 members and 10648 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X