300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good weightlifting supplement?

Hi guys i am currently training for the pre academy test, can anyone recommend, a good lean musclebuilding supplement i can take after workouts, i am 5ft 6/ 150 pounds and would like to add 5 pounds of muscle without losing any fitness i have built up, and there is so much stuff out there i find it hard to believe all the so called unbiased reviews.

Cheers

Originally posted by Irish in philly View Post
    Hi guys i am currently training for the pre academy test, can anyone recommend, a good lean musclebuilding supplement i can take after workouts, i am 5ft 6/ 150 pounds and would like to add 5 pounds of muscle without losing any fitness i have built up, and there is so much stuff out there i find it hard to believe all the so called unbiased reviews.

Cheers
    Are you simply asking about a typical post workout drink? Simply roll your own:

Pre & Post Workout Nutrition – It’s All In The Timing
    by Will Brink

Most people are aware that nutrient timing is as important as nutrient composition. In other words, it’s not just what you eat, but when you eat it that gives optimal results. As the man says, “Timing is everything.” Consuming the right foods at the right time can have positive effects on body composition: which means more muscle and less body fat.

Health-conscious people are told to avoid simple carbohydrates, and for good reasons. It’s not true all the time and in every situation, however. Following a heavy workout, there is a metabolic “window” – so to speak – where the body preferentially shuttles glucose into the liver and muscles to replace lost glycogen via both insulin-dependent and non-insulin-dependent transport mechanisms. Translated, this means your body will shuttle carbs and protein into the tissues you want (muscle) instead of storing them as fat after a workout.

To carry the analogy further, the metabolic window doesn’t stay open indefinitely, so you need to take advantage of the opportunity while it lasts.

A number of studies have found that a post-workout drink containing simple, high-GI carbs and protein increases protein synthesis dramatically. The two work synergistically to create an anabolic environment that’s superior to either nutrient alone. In addition, some recent work suggests that a pre-workout drink may be superior to a post-workout drink, and consuming both may be best of all!

Research looking at the issue has gotten a great deal of attention in the sports nutrition world. One particularly interesting study, “Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise.” (Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2001 Aug;281(2):E197-206), compared the anabolic responses to a carbohydrate and amino acid supplement taken either before or after resistance exercise. It’s counterintuitive to think taking in these nutrients before the workout is superior to post-workout, but according to this small study:

“…results indicate that the response of net muscle protein synthesis to consumption of an EAC solution [carb/amino acid drink] immediately before resistance exercise is greater than that when the solution is consumed after exercise, primarily because of an increase in muscle protein synthesis…”

Since this study was published, several researchers have proposed that providing amino acids/protein and carbs both before and after a resistance workout represents the best of both worlds. This is the premise of the book “Nutrient Timing” by John Ivy and Robert Portman. They present compelling evidence that the right mixture of nutrients, taken at key points in the muscle growth cycle, will optimize improvements in muscle growth, strength, and power, as well as enhance recovery from exercise.

Overall, there’s a solid body of scientific evidence to support using a blend of fast-acting carbs and amino acids/protein for both pre- and post-workout nutrition. It’s definitely a “hot” topic among sports researchers. It’s also a topic that seems to create endless speculation and conversation with non-scientists looking to get the most of their time in the gym. Everyone wants to hear the latest word, it seems.

So what’s the latest word?

The place to discover cutting edge research on a topic is to attend conferences where researchers present their most recent findings. This is a much faster way of getting current info than reading scientific journals, as it can take many months (even years!) to publish the work researchers submit for review and publication.

Each year, I attend various scientific conferences that apply to my interests, research, and business. This year I attended the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) conference in Las Vegas. The ISSN is a relatively new organization and this was their third conference to date.*

A session on the role of nutrition in exercise and recovery was particularly interesting. One standout study**, “Effects of protein and carbohydrate on anabolic responses to resistance training” looked at the effects of carbs, creatine, and whey – taken alone and in different combinations – on LBM and/or strength. The conclusion was that the combination of all three (whey, carbs, and creatine) was the most effective and that there appeared to be a true synergism between these nutrients. This study also confirmed that these nutrients, taken both before and after training, have a greater effect on lean mass and strength than when taken at other times of the day. I don’t think that comes as a big surprise to most people “in the know” about such things, but it’s good to see it confirmed under controlled conditions.

The take home lesson is this: if you want to optimize your nutrition to gain muscle mass and strength, it’s vital to consume a combination of fast-acting carbs and protein during the workout “window.”

Cont:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/pr...in-the-timing/
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

thanks a lot for the advice it is great to receive advice from a pro who knows what he is talking about, pardon my ignorance, i know you mentioned twinlab ultra fuel, is there a specific whey and creatine supplement you recommend, cheers Will for the help

Comment

Cheers
        dude go out and get yourself optimum nutrition 100% whey protein. take 2 scoops before you workout and after. you are also prob going to have change your diet up unless you already have it established for positive weight gain. shoot for 150-200 grams of protein per day.

Comment

thanks a lot for the advice it is great to receive advice from a pro who knows what he is talking about, pardon my ignorance, i know you mentioned twinlab ultra fuel, is there a specific whey and creatine supplement you recommend, cheers Will for the help
          You don't have to use Ultra Fuel per se either. You can get dextrose or malto in bulk. As for creatine, any brand that uses Creapure as their source of creatine monoyhdrate. I prefer it micronized as it's easier to mix. I like CFM whey isolates, but it's not essential to use that type of whey. To understand the different types of whey, read The Whey it Is.

Look around my site for more info on the above. There's lot of info there.
          - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

I really like the GNC MegaMan sport vita packs. I would only advise using them if you're training pretty hard.
            "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
              You don't have to use Ultra Fuel per se either. You can get dextrose or malto in bulk. As for creatine, any brand that uses Creapure as their source of creatine monoyhdrate. I prefer it micronized as it's easier to mix. I like CFM whey isolates, but it's not essential to use that type of whey. To understand the different types of whey, read The Whey it Is.

Look around my site for more info on the above. There's lot of info there.
              i have been taking micronized creatine mono for years. recently i just started to try a pre workout supp (super pump 250) and i throw a scoop of micronized creatine ethyl ester in it. post workout i take 3 scoops of powdered gatorade (dextrose) and 5 grams of the ethyl ester in my protein shake as well as BCAAs. i have been doing this for about 2 weeks now. i feel good but we'll see how it goes. just trying something different.

Comment

Originally posted by ready2go View Post
                i have been taking micronized creatine mono for years. recently i just started to try a pre workout supp (super pump 250) and i throw a scoop of micronized creatine ethyl ester in it. post workout i take 3 scoops of powdered gatorade (dextrose) and 5 grams of the ethyl ester in my protein shake as well as BCAAs. i have been doing this for about 2 weeks now. i feel good but we'll see how it goes. just trying something different.
                It's your $$$$, but here's my recent comments on CEE:

CEE, The Poster Child For The “Graveyard”!
                - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Animal pak, fish oil, protein powder.

Comment

Hi guys i ordered the following after some research, will this help?
                    ================================================== =======
                    (1) Combo: Optimum 100% Whey Protein/MHP Activite Sport Stack, Delicious Strawberry Shipped From: PA
                    (1) Optimum 100% Whey Protein, 5 Lbs., Delicious Strawberry: Kit - COMBO035E Shipped From: PA
                    (1) MHP Activite Sport, 120 Tablets: Kit - COMBO035E Shipped From: PA
                    ================================================== =======

Comment

As for creatine, any brand that uses Creapure as their source of creatine monoyhdrate.
                      what's it about creapure that you specifically suggest it?

Comment

It's your $$$$, but here's my recent comments on CEE:

CEE, The Poster Child For The “Graveyard”!
                        interesting study. i haven't noticed much change since supplementing with it. i just thought i'd give it a shot. i am usually on CM year round so i figured a little break to give something else a try would be ok. i'll prob be back on the old CM after this bottle of CEE though anyway. there are just too many studies to support the use of CM to not use it. to be honest i really want to give that Creatine HCL a try by ProMera Health. i heard it raises Creatine levels in the blood for a substantial period of time as compared to CM and the serving is much less and a greater portion makes it to the blood and doesnt get lost in digestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
                          what's it about creapure that you specifically suggest it?
                          See "What's In Your Creatine?"

Creapure, trade name for CM, is by far the purest source of CM.
                          - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ready2go View Post
                            interesting study. i haven't noticed much change since supplementing with it. i just thought i'd give it a shot. i am usually on CM year round so i figured a little break to give something else a try would be ok. i'll prob be back on the old CM after this bottle of CEE though anyway. there are just too many studies to support the use of CM to not use it. to be honest i really want to give that Creatine HCL a try by ProMera Health. i heard it raises Creatine levels in the blood for a substantial period of time as compared to CM and the serving is much less and a greater portion makes it to the blood and doesnt get lost in digestion.
                            Do they supply any legit studies to support that? Remember, blood levels may or may not reflect benefit. For example, if clearance from blood into compartments (eg, muscle) is quick, that's a good thing. Depends more on where and how it's cleared and where it goes...What you really want to see is a study comparing actual tissue levels of one vs the other. CM saturates muscle to 100%. Can't do better then that. Now, if the the other form can do that at say 50% of the dose it takes CM to achieve it (and remember, it only takes 3g of CM), then that may be a plus, but it's also exactly what the others claim, and so far, it's bunk. See:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ight=graveyard
                            - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Do they supply any legit studies to support that? Remember, blood levels may or may not reflect benefit. For example, if clearance from blood into compartments (eg, muscle) is quick, that's a good thing. Depends more on where and how it's cleared and where it goes...What you really want to see is a study comparing actual tissue levels of one vs the other. CM saturates muscle to 100%. Can't do better then that. Now, if the the other form can do that at say 50% of the dose it takes CM to achieve it (and remember, it only takes 3g of CM), then that may be a plus, but it's also exactly what the others claim, and so far, it's bunk. See:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ight=graveyard
                              there was a study done that showed this..The study conducted at The University of Nebraska Medical Center showed convincing evidence of a remarkable improvement in plasma uptake and bioavailability (up to 60% more soluble) of CON-CRET as compared to creatine monohydrate and all other popular forms...

results from another study...
                              •Oral bioavailability of creatine supplements is relatively low
                              •Likely contributor is the low aqueous solubility of CRT relative to doses used
                              •CRT HCl provides substantial improvement in aqueous solubility over other CRT supplements
                              •CRT HCl has improved oral absorption compared to standard CRT mono formulation
                              •Supplementation with CRT HCl provides a more efficient method for enhancing creatine levels in the body

10 healthy subjects; each receive CRT Mono and CRT HCl; treatment order was randomly decided; 2 week washout period between treatments
                              •CRT was administered (5 g Dose) with 6 fl. oz. cold water
                              •Blood samples taken at, prior to, and 0.5, 1 and 2 and 3 hours after oral ingestion of creatine
                              •Plasma creatine measured using HPLC

you can see the charts here...http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.or...906_Miller.pdf

study showed a 47% increase in plasma AUC in C HCL over CM..check it out tell me what you think.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12975 users online. 508 members and 12467 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X