Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished Week #2 today and it's going ok. I have actually been weight training for about 15 months so I'm not quite coming from the couch but I just wasn't into cardio. Now I have a reason to do it though.
    Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

Comment

While I am no expert on the subject, I will share what worked for me and was the advice of a personel trainer. Mark off the distance of about .4 mile, now run that distance shooting for a time close to 3-3.5 mintues, then walk past your stopping point for 30-45 seconds and return to your finish line, giving you a rest of 1-1.5 minutes, now run back in 3-3.5 minutes, repeat for a total of six .4 mile runs. I did this for a week, took a couple of days off from running and ran the 1.5 and it worked wonders for my time. I still like to mix this type of training in with my long runs and I am currently working on my 300 meter with 100 meter sprints X 6.

Comment

I did the couch to 5K to prepare for the academy. I started out doors on a neighborhood nature trail. It was hard for me, I have never been a runner. I found that it worked, I had to extend my weeks, my body just needed the extra time. But it worked I made my time in the academy, and I'm an old fat guy. Just before I started the academy the weather got bad in my area, and I went to my gym to run inside, like others have said, indoors is alot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by DoesntPlayNice
          I didn't want to start a new thread on running because there are already so many....but I have switched from the treadmill to running outside. I don't have the pain anymore like I used to...but I can't seem to run FASTER. I am running 1.4 miles right now (only because that is exactly 2 laps around my neighborhood) and I guess I am getting about 10 seconds faster each time I do it (have only done it 3 times now) but I don't feel like that is enough! Last night I did 1.4 in 15:09 and I know I still have another .10 of a mile to go to make 1.5 miles. The first lap I know I have problems with breathing...but by lap 2 I have that under control....it just seems I can't get my legs to go faster! any advice?
          Instead of writing it all over again, I'll link to a thread where I posted some speedwork advice. The only proviso I'll add is that getting faster is a slow and steady thing, not an overnight thing. In fact, if you push the speed too hard too often, you'll end up with negative results. Believe it or not, you can get faster by going slower.

For now, work in a speed session once a week and slow down to a nice easy pace (able to hold a conversation while running) for the rest of the week. Most importantly, don't forget to rest. Give your body a chance to adapt to the changes. I guarantee that if you stick with it, you will see strong improvements in your times.

Here's the link to the other thread, scroll down to post #2: Improving Run Times

If you want something more precise to you, give me a PM and I'll see if I can throw together an actual running schedule for you.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Treadmills are kind of easier... I have horrible balance when it comes to treadmills always feeling like im one step from flying off (my foot almost hits the side i have big feet. Ladies Holla )

I personally like outside better because i can let myself "run"
            sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
            Rocky Balboa
            Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

I have been doing the C25K in between weeks of not having PT at school and it really has helped me. Check out http://www.runningmap.com/ to find distances in your neighborhood. I have a a bunch saved for work, home and at the college.

Comment

Thanks for the help! The only thing about that post is the hill thing...there are no hills in Houston LOL

I was thinking about adding 1 minute sprints into my run/jog once a week...do you think this would help? Part of the problem I am having is that I don't have a "track" to run on...I am running on the street so I am not sure how far things are. I tracked how far I am running by setting the trip planner on my car and driving it LOL
                As far as hills, if you don't have, you don't have them. If you have access to a treadmill, you can crank up the elevation and do the repeats. If you don't, then its just one less tool in the kit.

Try working with the fartleks. Instead of setting a specific time or known distance, just pick a landmark in the distance. Once you get there, slow down, recover and repeat.

A couple of options are available to help with the distance thing. As suggested you can use a mapping utility (Map My Run) is a personal favorite or Google maps has some good features too. You can zoom down to your block at the satellite view and measure the distance from one place to another.

Option two is break down and buy a Garmin Forerunner. You can pick up a 101 model for under $100. For about the same, you can pick up the FR50 that has an integrated heart-rate monitor and footpod. If you can spend a little more, I'd recommend the 305. The 101 and 305 are GPS units that track your running very accurately. The FR50 uses an accelerometer in a foot pod to measure your distance. The GPS units are little more accurate in the long run but the 50 is a nice unit. All three come with training assistants that let you set up interval training by time or distance and tracks it for you. Very, VERY handy.

Option three is the Nike+ with an Ipod. I personally don't have any experience with the Nike+ but some people really like it. Personally, if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'd like to have the better bells and whistles on the Garmin. Just my .02.

I've heard (but not seen) that there are some smart phone apps out there that will help track distance too.
                Originally posted by kontemplerande
                Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

My husband says I run like a T Rex LOL My arms stay close to my sides and I sometimes bend my wrists LOL
                  lol I am going to picture T-Rex every time I see people running like that at the gym now.
                  Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11624 users online. 424 members and 11200 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X