300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couch to 5K

I hear a lot of people talking about the couch to 5K on the boards, so I decided to start last week. I was just wondering if anyone in here has actually completed the 9 week program and find out what they got out of it.

Thanks

I did the whole thing. 2 years ago I weighed close to 300 lbs (I am 5'11"). I decided that I really wanted to get healthy so I started eating better and I dropped most of the weight. I must have started and stopped the couch to 5k program 10 times in the last year in a half. Finally, I decided I was going to do it. I finished the week before Thanksgiving, and it felt great.
    Originally Posted by Law100
    Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

Couch to 5k is one of the greatest gifts ever given to mankind. The program is AWESOME and should be the first stop for anyone looking to start running for the first time.

DoesntPlayNice, I've used it (or a slight variation) as a come back program from injuries. Its a great way to build back up.
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I started and completed the couch to 5K program last year. I didn't exactly do it in 9 weeks due to injury and time, but I did complete to program. I must say that I went from not running at all to running 3.2miles in 30 minutes. It's a great program! Also, I found podcasts from a guy name Robert Ullreys, that really helped out. It's premixed music telling you when to run and when to walk:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/

If you're debating it, give it a try and if you put effort into it, you will finish it.
        MDC BLE 270

Comment

Originally posted by sencless View Post
          I started and completed the couch to 5K program last year. I didn't exactly do it in 9 weeks due to injury and time, but I did complete to program. I must say that I went from not running at all to running 3.2miles in 30 minutes. It's a great program! Also, I found podcasts from a guy name Robert Ullreys, that really helped out. It's premixed music telling you when to run and when to walk:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/

If you're debating it, give it a try and if you put effort into it, you will finish it.
          I just started this tonight, great podcast really keeps you going, talks you through the end. Fun workout. I left the gym feeling better than when I got there. Thanks for the above link.
          "The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not: Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

Comment

The best program out there to start running
            MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by GoDucks View Post
              I just started this tonight, great podcast really keeps you going, talks you through the end. Fun workout. I left the gym feeling better than when I got there. Thanks for the above link.
              If you can, take your running outside... it is a completely different ball game than the treadmill. Stick with it, it is worth it. I thank god I found the program and saw it all the way through, it is already paying off in the academy!
              MDC BLE 270

Comment

It's a great program, Robert Ullreys' podcasts are extremely helpful. It's good to just put on the iPod and be told what you need to get done and exactly when, mixed with decent workout music.

I started and stopped it a lot, stayed on the first 3 weeks of the program for a couple of months, but it's definitely great for building endurance gradually.

Comment

I finally was able to take this to outside running. Raining and just overall bad weather for awhile. I went out this morning for the first time. Wow it was harder outside than on the treadmill. Not sure if running in 38 degree weather was a good idea, my lungs feel like they are going to burn up. I just couldn't get a rhythm going, like on the treadmill. Any suggestions?
                  Also this doesn't seem to be getting any easier, I am on the last podcast of week 2. Doing about 2.2 miles in the 30 min podcast.
                  "The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not: Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

Comment

I'm debating weather or not to switch to biking for a week or so. Then go back to running. I don't go to the academy til March, so I have a little time to get in running shape. I eventually want to be able to run at an even pace for at least a mile. I cant complain to much since I started working out, eating better, quitting smoking, I have lost 20lbs so I'll take it.

Comment

Optimism...I guess, more like I hope I can get into better running shape by march.

Comment

Originally posted by GoDucks View Post
                        I finally was able to take this to outside running. Raining and just overall bad weather for awhile. I went out this morning for the first time. Wow it was harder outside than on the treadmill. Not sure if running in 38 degree weather was a good idea, my lungs feel like they are going to burn up. I just couldn't get a rhythm going, like on the treadmill. Any suggestions?
                        Also this doesn't seem to be getting any easier, I am on the last podcast of week 2. Doing about 2.2 miles in the 30 min podcast.
                        38 degree weather is great running weather. Around here, that's practically shorts weather for a run. Last night, my run was in -7 degrees F.

As far as tips, if the air is cold on your pipes, wear something over your mouth to pre-warm the air as it comes in. For moderately cold weather (0 to 20), I'll wear a cloth surgical mask. You can usually pick them up in bulk from catalogs like Cheaper Than Dirt. Below 0, I'll wear a Polar-Tec Balaclava.

As far as rhythm, that can be tricky for beginners. Easiest way to find your rhythm is to time your breathing to your foot strikes. Count 1 when your left foot hits the ground, count 2 when it hits again. Breath in over 2 counts, and out over 2 counts. This helps you develop a rhythm and gives you something to focus on besides the struggle of running.

Comment

I can't breath through my nose effectively. Something to do with a narrow septum. I usually breath in through the corners of my mouth (especially when cold) and out through the middle. Looks weird, but it works for me.

Comment

Yep. Those lungs will catch up before long.

I started C25k in 2006. I ran my first marathon last year. Time will do wonders for your running.

Comment

i will keep it up. I knew it would be hard, just have to tough it out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10020 users online. 442 members and 9578 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X