Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Critique My Workout Plan" Thread!

I figured we could use a place where we post our gym plans and workout regimes for critiques and helpful suggestions. My current plan is pretty basic, it is the starting strength routine with a few things added. My buddy and I are doing this together at our Army base gym, so we have access to every type of weights and equipment you could ever imagine. It's a six-days-a-week program with three lifts, two cardio and one activity day. The goal is to improve my APFT, which is run two miles, pushups in two minutes, situps in two minutes. Diet consists of lots of greens, light amount of fruit, fish or chicken, eggs, and brown rice.

I am looking to add some dips into the mix and also I wonder if I should work grips, calves and shoulder shrugs differently? I am have some experience lifting but my partner does not and is new to it. I haven't lifted in about eight or nine months so this program is good to get back into the game. Thoughts? I am also thinking about starting the "grease the groove" pushup routine to get my numbers higher. Every hour, bust out about ten pushups. Would this fatigue me too much? Am I not resting enough?

Monday - Lift Day
    Warmup
    - Jog 10mins
    - Ballistic stretches
    Lift
    - Benchpress 5x5
    - Deadlift 5x5
    - Squats 5x5
    - Shoulder Shrugs 3x5
    Abs x3
    - Situps x20
    - Crunches x20
    - Side crunches x20
    - Toe-touches x20
    - Modified V-ups x20
    - Plank 60secs
    Cooldown and Stretch
    - Jog 10mins
    - Stretch

Tuesday - Cardio

Warmup
    - Jog 10mins
    - Ballistic stretches
    Cardio
    - Intervals (3x1) 20mins
    - Stadiums x3
    Abs x3
    - Situps x20
    - Crunches x20
    - Side crunches x20
    - Toe-touches x20
    - Modified V-ups x20
    - Plank 60secs
    Cooldown and Stretch
    - Yoga-like routine x15mins
    - Swim x15-20mins (light)

Wednesday - Lift Day
    Warmup
    - Jog 10mins
    - Ballistic stretches
    Lift
    - Benchpress 5x5
    - Deadlift 5x5
    - Squats 5x5
    - Calf Raises 3x5
    Abs x3
    - Situps x20
    - Crunches x20
    - Side crunches x20
    - Toe-touches x20
    - Modified V-ups x20
    - Plank 60secs
    Cooldown and Stretch
    - Jog 10mins
    - Stretch

Thursday - Cardio

Warmup
    - Jog 10mins
    - Ballistic stretches
    Cardio
    - Endurance jog or cycle x1hr
    Abs x3
    - Situps x20
    - Crunches x20
    - Side crunches x20
    - Toe-touches x20
    - Modified V-ups x20
    - Plank 60secs
    Cooldown and Stretch
    - Yoga-like routine x15mins
    - Swim x15-20mins (light)

Friday - Lift Day

Warmup
    - Jog 10mins
    - Ballistic stretches
    Lift
    - Benchpress 5x5
    - Deadlift 5x5
    - Squats 5x5
    - Grip squeeze 3x5
    Abs x3
    - Situps x20
    - Crunches x20
    - Side crunches x20
    - Toe-touches x20
    - Modified V-ups x20
    - Plank 60secs
    Cooldown and Stretch
    - Jog 10mins
    - Stretch

Saturday - Activity
    Warmup
    - Jog 10mins
    - Ballistic stretches
    Activity
    - Boulder, Swim, Basketball or Racquetball x1hr
    Cooldown and Stretch
    - Jog 10mins
    - Stretch
    I have a million hats.

Originally posted by Talon Razor View Post
    My current plan is pretty basic, it is the starting strength routine with a few things added.
    No it's not, re-read the book.

Starting Strength is 3x5 and alternates with cleans and press.

This may seem blunt, but Rip/Kilgore have WAY more lifting experience and knowledge than you or me, so if the program says "x-y-z", do "x-y-z".

Supplemental exercises like dips, chinups, pullups are great.

Also, in my experience with Starting Strength, you will be awfully tired if you don't rest on your tues/thurs. I understand that cardio is important for police or police testers, so no one's going to hold that against you. Just be weary.

I wonder if I should work grips, calves and shoulder shrugs differently?
    These are all covered in the program especially with supplemental workouts.

Here is my opinion since you asked:
    You are exactly on the right track. Full body workouts, great diet, great determination. If you're doing the SS program how it's SUPPOSED to be done, you will be too exhausted and fatigued to do all that other crap "pushups, swimming, etc."

Also (this one is ALL my opinion, no research) I really prefer doing a lot of sit ups on the decline bench with a plate against my chest that all those planks, crunches, etc.

I WAS doing the SS routine and it was AMAZING! My DL shot up about 150lbs, bench was skyrocketing, squats were improving every week, and I felt like the hulk. I started making my own up, doing bench, squats, dls and incorperating my own crap. Although I'm doing OK, I'm not seeing NEAR the results I was getting otherwise, but I feel like I look better. What's your goal? Mine is to get stronger. Starting tomorrow I'm resetting and getting back to SS. When I hit the 1000lb club I'll start adding more stuff.

Ok....maybe I do curls before I go to a party on the weekend.

Good luck and keep us updated. Being accountable to people keeps you going.

Comment

Yea, I posted the thing to two different forums and I copied the wrong block. The actual weightlifting regime looks like what I posted below. It's the Practical Programming one from SS. We do a lot of ab work, but for right now we are maxing at one or two cycles of the abs, with the goal of doing three cycles. I am debating spacing out the ab work a bit more. I'm still wanting to add some shoulder shrugs, calf raises, grip work and dips in there. Should I not worry about them? And I was thinking of doing rows instead of chin-ups/pull-ups as neither of us can whip out that many. The swimming is really low-key, we basically just do laps of light swimming. I've found it is an awesome way to cool down and we hit the jacuzzi in the pool after a good twenty minutes of light laps.

What I'm wondering about the push-ups is if I should just focus on working out for the next few months or not. My goal right now is to score high on the Army Physical test when I ship to basic end of June and to drop about thirty pounds. Will doing the push-ups cause too much fatigue and overtrain?

Monday

3x5 Squat
      3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
      Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday

3x5 Squat
      3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
      1x5 Deadlift

Friday
      3x5 Squat
      3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
      Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps
      I have a million hats.

Comment

I wouldn’t be so worried about developing absolute strength right now. I would be doing a program more geared towards muscular endurance. You have an advantage knowing what will be expected of you once you arrive at basic. You should be working the things that you’ll be doing there and trying to improve upon them. I would do a cycle of SS once you complete basic and AIT.

You can be as strong as ox, but if you don’t have any muscular endurance you wont be the one cranking out 100 push-ups, 80 sit-ups and running a 12-13 minute 2 miler. Just my opinion.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
          Rip/Kilgore have WAY more lifting experience and knowledge than you or me, so if the program says "x-y-z", do "x-y-z".
          This...
          - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by Whatsthe2ndDfor
            Agreed. I'd rather be able to do 100 pushups, 20 pullups, and run a 13-minute 2 miler than bench 400 lbs, etc...

However, benching at least 225 is a goal of mine.

Here is an idea why not train for both, benching 225 for 21 reps, dead lift 315 for 21 reps, Squat (below parralell) 330 for 21 reps, military press 150 for 21 reps, dumbbell shoulder press 75's for 21 reps, dumbbell bench press 115's for 21 reps, 18 pull-ups first set, barbell bent row 275 21 reps, run a mile before and after my workout about 9 min, “I know slow for some” hey, try hauling 240lbs on a 5'10 frame faster.

Once I hit 21 reps on a given exercise I up the poundage and shoot for 21. These weights above are all goals I have hit recently. I never do one rep maxes, always poundage for rep total.

The basis of my workout is on hitting these core movements for 21 reps. Then I move on to another exercise, and blast that body part with standard straight sets.
            Last edited by _GLOCK_; 01-13-2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Any advice or suggestions on my plan are more than welcome, I'm trying to do workouts which I can do almost exclusively at home

Right now, I do the following on Mon/Wed/Fri:

3 Sets of: pushups, situps, squats, hand-grips, double crunches, pullups, flutter kicks, shoulder pushes, dorsal raises, mountain climbers, diamond pushups, jump-jacks.

Each set I'm going to about 80% of my max.

I'd like to add in some running, and was thinking of doing this on Tues/Thurs/Sat with Sundays as my rest day? The park I'll be going to also has some pullup bars, so I was going to take those out of the other routine and integrate it on my running days.

Each workout I do warmup and cooldown, along with stretching before and after.

In terms of my aim, I'm currently waiting on a waiver for the Army National Guard, so am training towards the APFT, and also making the physical aspect of my civilian job easier (hospital security - so restraining violent patients, preventing patient elopements when they're on M1 holds, and making sure I can respond quickly somewhere on campus without being out of breath!)

As for my current "scores", I can do 58 pushups, 3 pullups, 60 situps, and 1 mile run in 7:30, so not really bad, but definately a lot to improve on.

Again, any and all suggestions or advice are more than welcome.

Comment

I am more focusing on my diet and cardio development but I am implementing about 30-45 minutes of medium weight training each day... (more muscle----more calories I burn) I am working out every other day.

My typical day looks like this

Day one:
                15 Minute jog on treadmill 5.7 -6.0mph
                Benchpress 4 sets of 10 (machine)
                Dips on machine 3 sets of 8
                Standing Bicep curl 3 sets of 8
                Sitting concentration Bicep curl 3 sets of 8
                Tricep pushdown 3 sets of 10
                Stomach Crunches

Try not to rest much between sets and keep a decent sweat going...

Day Two:
                10 Minute Jog 6.5 - 7.0mph
                Shoulder Press 4 sets of 10
                Shrugs 3 sets of 10
                Lat Pull down 3 sets of 8
                Seated Rows 3 sets of 8
                Stomach Crunches
                Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Originally posted by bigcop97 View Post
                  I am more focusing on my diet and cardio development but I am implementing about 30-45 minutes of medium weight training each day... (more muscle----more calories I burn) I am working out every other day.
                  Not sure what the goal is with that program, but it looks like a mish mash that does not account for various things and will deliver sub par results on all fronts. If you are looking for a solid "blend" of strength, conditioning, and bodycomp, I have put up a basic program far superior to what you have here:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ension+trainer

I would recommend workout option #2.

Good luck.
                  - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
                    Not sure what the goal is with that program, but it looks like a mish mash that does not account for various things and will deliver sub par results on all fronts. If you are looking for a solid "blend" of strength, conditioning, and bodycomp, I have put up a basic program far superior to what you have here:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ension+trainer

I would recommend workout option #2.

Good luck.
                    The goal is actually just to get me into "lifting" shape again. I have been out of the game awhile and trying to find something that I wont have to spend hours in the gym but will still deliver some results in areas that I want to improve.... biceps and chest mainly... I just want something that will maintain and maybe build my strength a little while dieting and losing weight...

Checking into the program you posted and going to incorporate... thanks!
                    Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Originally posted by Whatsthe2ndDfor
                      The bicep muscle is 1% of your muscular structure. Keep that in mind when you're in the gym.

Also, do you incorporate any leg workouts? I'm a huge fan of front-squats,
                      95% of people who work out in the gym do the same few exercises and see the same minute results. Chest and biceps chest and biceps chest and biceps with the lat pulldown and a few machines thrown in occasionally.

I bookmarked an excellent article with input from some notable experts such as Chad Waterbury where they all agreed people with less than 2yrs of lifting shouldn't really concentrate on isolation exercises for the biceps... Rather they should concentrate on the meat and bones such as squat, deadlift, bench, shoulder press, bent over rows, and pull/chin ups. --Of course I still can't locate the article.

Remember the Tricep is a three headed monster which makes up a larger percentage of your arm size. If you want pretty beach muscles work the triceps harder and that doesn't mean kick backs and pull downs. It means close grip bench, dips (concentrate on tris not chest), french press - skull crushers, board presses, and rack lock outs.

When in doubt listen to WillBrink as he knows more than most in the game.

Comment

Most people are just going for overall fitness skill.

You are going for pushups, situps, and running (period).

I say just hit bench and planks as soon as you can when you can and do them hard over multiple sets, sometimes with long sets sometimes short and heavy, rest on days when you need to, run as much as you can, and figure out how to eat only when, what, and how much you need to.

Honestly, if you are doing that program hard, you are probably kicking butt. Progress is the best indicator always. I'm sure Will's program is awesome too though, as long as it has you going heavy chest still, but 5X5 isn't really considered heavy
                        Last edited by Adam354; 01-20-2010, 09:47 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11618 users online. 420 members and 11198 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X