Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Two questions

    I have two very simple questions.

    First question, how could i increase my pushups, i can do 10 with out any breaks but then my arms just pretty much give in.

    Second, P90X. Is this used to gain muscle and to get into shape? or is it like insanity? My goal is to gain more muscle, which one would i be better off with?

    And this may be a dumb question but after the 90 days... what do you do then? do you just keep following the plan?

    Oh, and do you need like weights or anything for P90X?

    Thank YOU!
    Last edited by IwantTobeANYSP; 01-04-2010, 07:39 PM.
    NYPD Exam:2311
    Let the process begin!

    NCPD Exam:2000
    Score: Pending...

    SCPD
    Score: Passed/No call

    Suffolk Corrections:
    Score: Passed/No call yet

    Suffolk Parks:
    Score: Passed/No call

    Suffolk Sheriff:
    Score: Passed/No call yet

    PAPD
    Score: Qualified.

    NYSP
    Exam: Oct 12th 2013



  • #2
    An easy way to increase your pushups is "Grease the Groove."

    Basically, you do submaximal sets throughout the day. Do it for 5 straight days, rest on 6th day, then test yourself on 7th day. Repeat process. Just dont go overboard with it, the program has its limits. After about a month, switch to something different.

    See post #6 in this thread. This technique and others have been discussed here many times.
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...=grease+groove

    If this isnt clear, google it or PM me, I have had good success with it for pushups, pullups and situps.

    Some people have mentioned trying the program on this website as well:
    www.hundredpushups.com


    As far as P90X, it is more of a muscular endurance program and it will (if you follow the dietary guide) lean you out rather than bulk you up. The program can be adjusted some according to your needs, though.

    Equipment required is a set of dumbbells and pullup bar or you can use resistance bands as a substitute for both (but I recommedn the 1st option).
    The program has been discussed a great deal here (do a search and you will see several threads) and of course, all over the internet.

    After the 1st 90 days, you can go through again and raise your standards (heavier weights, more reps, etc) or just try something different. There is also a P90X + set of dvds out there to change things up and add to the new challenge.
    Last edited by brownj21; 01-04-2010, 09:18 PM.
    www.ShankAZombie.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
      An easy way to increase your pushups is "Grease the Groove."

      Basically, you do submaximal sets throughout the day. Do it for 5 straight days, rest on 6th day, then test yourself on 7th day. Repeat process. Just dont go overboard with it, the program has its limits. After about a month, switch to something different.

      See post #6 in this thread. This technique and others have been discussed here many times.
      http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...=grease+groove

      If this isnt clear, google it or PM me, I have had good success with it for pushups, pullups and situps.

      Some people have mentioned trying the program on this website as well:
      www.hundredpushups.com


      As far as P90X, it is more of a muscular endurance program and it will (if you follow the dietary guide) lean you out rather than bulk you up. The program can be adjusted some according to your needs, though.

      Equipment required is a set of dumbbells and pullup bar or you can use resistance bands as a substitute for both (but I recommedn the 1st option).
      The program has been discussed a great deal here (do a search and you will see several threads) and of course, all over the internet.

      After the 1st 90 days, you can go through again and raise your standards (heavier weights, more reps, etc) or just try something different. There is also a P90X + set of dvds out there to change things up and add to the new challenge.

      Hey thank you for your reply, i think im going to go along with the P90X. However what are some good dumbbells? hopefully not the $300 bowflex =[ and as for pull up bar, is the iron gym good?

      Also, i saw their website and it shows like the creatine powder... do i need to get any of that or no? either way would that improve anything for me?
      I guess the recovery stuff

      Thank You
      Last edited by IwantTobeANYSP; 01-04-2010, 09:30 PM.
      NYPD Exam:2311
      Let the process begin!

      NCPD Exam:2000
      Score: Pending...

      SCPD
      Score: Passed/No call

      Suffolk Corrections:
      Score: Passed/No call yet

      Suffolk Parks:
      Score: Passed/No call

      Suffolk Sheriff:
      Score: Passed/No call yet

      PAPD
      Score: Qualified.

      NYSP
      Exam: Oct 12th 2013


      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by IwantTobeANYSP View Post
        Hey thank you for your reply, i think im going to go along with the P90X. However what are some good dumbbells? hopefully not the $300 bowflex =[ and as for pull up bar, is the iron gym good?

        Also, i saw their website and it shows like the creatine powder... do i need to get any of that or no? either way would that improve anything for me?
        I guess the recovery stuff

        Thank You
        The IronGym is a good pullup bar, it will work fine. I HIGHLY recommend that you DO NOT buy the Bowflex selectech dumbbells. You COULD get some Ironmasters or Powerblocks, but the cheapest route, which is just as effective, would be a few sets of adjustable spinlock dumbbells and plenty of pancake style standard weight plates (always check craigslist).

        In case you dont know, the spinlock style looks like this:


        Again, because of how quickly the program goes, I recommend you get a few sets.

        No, you dont NEED creatine and certainly not from them (overpriced Im sure).

        PS-I never heard back from you about the power rack or tire flipping stuff.
        www.ShankAZombie.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
          The IronGym is a good pullup bar, it will work fine. I HIGHLY recommend that you DO NOT buy the Bowflex selectech dumbbells. You COULD get some Ironmasters or Powerblocks, but the cheapest route, which is just as effective, would be a few sets of adjustable spinlock dumbbells and plenty of pancake style standard weight plates (always check craigslist).

          In case you dont know, the spinlock style looks like this:


          Again, because of how quickly the program goes, I recommend you get a few sets.

          No, you dont NEED creatine and certainly not from them (overpriced Im sure).

          PS-I never heard back from you about the power rack or tire flipping stuff.
          Thanks a lot, i was hoping i would not need to buy them bowflex dumbbells. When you say a few sets, are you talking about few sets of dumbbells? and how many pounds should i get to start off?

          and i replied back about the tire flipping, i asked you a few other questions about where about getting a tire (i'd figure a junk yard) and how many pounds should the tire be and how the hell do i get that it to my house =]


          thanks
          NYPD Exam:2311
          Let the process begin!

          NCPD Exam:2000
          Score: Pending...

          SCPD
          Score: Passed/No call

          Suffolk Corrections:
          Score: Passed/No call yet

          Suffolk Parks:
          Score: Passed/No call

          Suffolk Sheriff:
          Score: Passed/No call yet

          PAPD
          Score: Qualified.

          NYSP
          Exam: Oct 12th 2013


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by IwantTobeANYSP View Post
            Thanks a lot, i was hoping i would not need to buy them bowflex dumbbells. When you say a few sets, are you talking about few sets of dumbbells? and how many pounds should i get to start off?

            and i replied back about the tire flipping, i asked you a few other questions about where about getting a tire (i'd figure a junk yard) and how many pounds should the tire be and how the hell do i get that it to my house =]


            thanks
            The Bowflex dumbbells are overpriced junk. As far as the spinlock dumbbells, you can buy the handles pretty much anywhere (I got a pair at a yard sale for $1 and a pair at target or wal-mart for $12). Then buy the pancake style standard weight plates.
            Like this:
            http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4183607

            (you can even find some links of how to make your own handles using some piping purchased from Home Depot).

            Be sure to get some 2.5 lb, 5 lb and 10 lb ones so you have plenty of options.

            Like I said, I would get at least 2 sets of handles, because the dvds go from one exercise to the next very quickly and if you have to change them much, it will really slow you down. So, if you have 2-3 sets already prepared, you should be good to go (for example: a set of 15s, a set of 20s and a set of 30s).

            This is what a spinlock handle looks like
            http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=11089965

            I must repeat-check for used weights locally. You can save a TON!
            Weights new cost from .75-$1 per pound. I have seen them as cheap as .15 cent a pound on craigslist and such.

            As far as the tire, I never got a reply in my PM box from you. You can get the tires for free at many tire places/dealers, simply call them and ask if they have a truck or tractor tire that you can take off their hands. It costs them money to dispose of them, so if you pick one up, you have just saved them money.
            If you saw my video, then you saw that the one I used for deadlifts, rows, shrugs and so on was 266 lbs. Just fyi, 266 lbs is considered too light for flipping for most men. So, if you wanted to do both a 200+ pounder for general exercises (like in my video) and a 400+ pounder for flipping. You need at least a full size truck to get one home.
            Last edited by brownj21; 01-04-2010, 10:35 PM.
            www.ShankAZombie.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks' a lot for your help, i'll try calling some places in the morning.

              I wish their was a "Thanks" button.... thats what this site needs =]
              NYPD Exam:2311
              Let the process begin!

              NCPD Exam:2000
              Score: Pending...

              SCPD
              Score: Passed/No call

              Suffolk Corrections:
              Score: Passed/No call yet

              Suffolk Parks:
              Score: Passed/No call

              Suffolk Sheriff:
              Score: Passed/No call yet

              PAPD
              Score: Qualified.

              NYSP
              Exam: Oct 12th 2013


              Comment


              • #8
                Don't forget to get you diet in check if you're considering these changes in fitness. Check other threads for tips if you need them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Item9 View Post
                  Don't forget to get you diet in check if you're considering these changes in fitness. Check other threads for tips if you need them.
                  What do you mean check my diet? as in talk to my doctor?

                  Also will this program make me "bigger" as one would say?

                  I'm 5'6 and weigh about 150LB

                  I don't want to look like a skeleton and loose the fat... you know what im talking about?
                  NYPD Exam:2311
                  Let the process begin!

                  NCPD Exam:2000
                  Score: Pending...

                  SCPD
                  Score: Passed/No call

                  Suffolk Corrections:
                  Score: Passed/No call yet

                  Suffolk Parks:
                  Score: Passed/No call

                  Suffolk Sheriff:
                  Score: Passed/No call yet

                  PAPD
                  Score: Qualified.

                  NYSP
                  Exam: Oct 12th 2013


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by IwantTobeANYSP View Post
                    What do you mean check my diet? as in talk to my doctor?

                    Also will this program make me "bigger" as one would say?

                    I'm 5'6 and weigh about 150LB

                    I don't want to look like a skeleton and loose the fat... you know what im talking about?
                    He just means follow the proper diet plan while doing this (or any) program if you want to see real results. Dont cheat and eat a bunch of junk/empty calories.

                    This program will help strip away body fat, but you will add a little bit of muscle. You may weigh close to the same after its over, but IF you push yourself, stay disciplined and follow the dietary program, you will look and feel different.
                    www.ShankAZombie.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      For the push ups go to onehundredpushups.com..follow their plan. It works. After 3 weeks I can do 60 push ups, up from 25 I used to only be able to do.


                      My cousin uses P90X, she likes it...don't know about gaining muscle through it though as it seems like a conditioning/endurance program.(Correct me if I'm wrong)

                      Edit: Here ya go: http://www.hundredpushups.com/week1.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The Bowflex dumbbells are overpriced junk.
                        +1,000
                        they are junk. Try these: http://powerblock.com/

                        You can and will gain muscle on p90x.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          One more question, it says it comes with 12 disc, do you do like one disc a day and after the 12th you repeat? or do you like do one disc for a week... just kinda lost on how this part works.

                          Thanks
                          NYPD Exam:2311
                          Let the process begin!

                          NCPD Exam:2000
                          Score: Pending...

                          SCPD
                          Score: Passed/No call

                          Suffolk Corrections:
                          Score: Passed/No call yet

                          Suffolk Parks:
                          Score: Passed/No call

                          Suffolk Sheriff:
                          Score: Passed/No call yet

                          PAPD
                          Score: Qualified.

                          NYSP
                          Exam: Oct 12th 2013


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by IwantTobeANYSP View Post
                            One more question, it says it comes with 12 disc, do you do like one disc a day and after the 12th you repeat? or do you like do one disc for a week... just kinda lost on how this part works.

                            Thanks

                            If you purchase it, ALL of that is clearly explained. Dont worry about trying to figure out the schedule right now. That would be like me trying to plan my 1 year old daughter's future wedding.

                            The good thing about this program is that is takes out all of the guesswork. So once you purchase, read the manuals and watch the initial "bring it" dvd and you should be ready to begin.

                            See here for the BASIC info:
                            http://ezinearticles.com/?The-P90X-W...ou?&id=2337165

                            Here is a download of the calendar/schedule with more specific info:
                            http://www.docstoc.com/docs/8733303/...ender-Schedule

                            Edit: watch this video
                            http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoafM8fB.html
                            Last edited by brownj21; 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM.
                            www.ShankAZombie.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
                              If you purchase it, ALL of that is clearly explained. Dont worry about trying to figure out the schedule right now. That would be like me trying to plan my 1 year old daughter's future wedding.

                              The good thing about this program is that is takes out all of the guesswork. So once you purchase, read the manuals and watch the initial "bring it" dvd and you should be ready to begin.

                              See here for the BASIC info:
                              http://ezinearticles.com/?The-P90X-W...ou?&id=2337165

                              Here is a download of the calendar/schedule with more specific info:
                              http://www.docstoc.com/docs/8733303/...ender-Schedule

                              Edit: watch this video
                              http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoafM8fB.html
                              Thanks a lot for that.

                              I see that it shows "Fish, Protein shake, recovery drink" and some other things...

                              Would i be able to substitute fish for something else? I'm allergic to fish and do i have to use the P90X recovery drink and protein shake? If not, what will be a good substitute for all three of those?

                              And what exactly is the Level I, level II, Level III exactly? I can't seem to understand it... =[


                              Thank You
                              NYPD Exam:2311
                              Let the process begin!

                              NCPD Exam:2000
                              Score: Pending...

                              SCPD
                              Score: Passed/No call

                              Suffolk Corrections:
                              Score: Passed/No call yet

                              Suffolk Parks:
                              Score: Passed/No call

                              Suffolk Sheriff:
                              Score: Passed/No call yet

                              PAPD
                              Score: Qualified.

                              NYSP
                              Exam: Oct 12th 2013


                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 10509 users online. 381 members and 10128 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Working...
                              X