300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Iron Gym

Hello everyone, I am preparing for my physical fitness screening for the SCPD. I did do a search but i only found one thread on this it it is over a year old, I am looking for more up to date reviews because this product has been on the market for a little over a year now.

I am a big guy, I am 260lbs and 6'6" I want to make sure this is a good choice for me. The main thing i am trying to accomplish is to increase my sit up and push up count, right now I am not that good at push ups and I want to know if this is the best thing to help me get better at it. Btw does anyone know if the sit ups are done with your arms across your chest or hands behind your head. Also how far down do you have to go for the push ups? Thank you in advance for any help!
    SCPD

To refer back to your question about the sit-ups. Direct your eyes to the middle circle where it says sit-ups and it kind of answers your question for you.
    Before talking with a person, think about what you are going to say. It makes life easier!

Comment

Originally posted by LtShinySides View Post
      To refer back to your question about the sit-ups. Direct your eyes to the middle circle where it says sit-ups and it kind of answers your question for you.
      Lol I understand that's what the iron gym says....I mean how does the SCPD test you, is it with your arms across your chest or hands behind your head, thanks again
      SCPD

Comment

I think he was refering to the way his sit ups had to be done in the academy. I have no idea how your academy will want you to do either of them. The standard I have seen most agencies using is: Push ups, down enough to compress a 4 inch block of foam under you. Now thats just for PT testing but expect them to want it that way during training too minus the foam. As for sit ups most do arms across your chest with elbows touching you knees when you come up.

As for the Iron Gym, I'd say it is a decent tool to use if you don't have access to a gym. It will work good for sit ups but for push ups just doing narrow, normal, and wide grip P/U with your hands on the floor is the best way to prep. I dont think doing them that way is best for your wrists but it is best for academy prep. Good Luck!!
        Former: K-9/Drug Interdiction Officer

Helicopter pilot "non-LE"

sigpic

Comment

being 6'6, you may not be able to hang it high enough to get full range of motion.....do you have a garage? you can set up a bar screwed into the rafters that would be better probably.

you didnt ask, but doing "dips" on that thing is complete bs, no range of motion at all....they just wanted one more thing to write on the box.

nysp had us do situps behind the head....if you can't find a definite answer on scpd, just do them behind the head in training then if they let you go across the chest it'll be easy for you, but that wouldn't work vice versa.

Comment

To answer your question, will this piece of equipment help you with your push up or sit up totals. The answer, NO.

It is a piece of equipment, in order to get better at these exercises, you will have to do them and the Iron Gym is not going to make you better. You can save your money and do the exercises the way they were done before this item came onto the market.
            Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
              To answer your question, will this piece of equipment help you with your push up or sit up totals. The answer, NO.

It is a piece of equipment, in order to get better at these exercises, you will have to do them and the Iron Gym is not going to make you better. You can save your money and do the exercises the way they were done before this item came onto the market.
              I agree.

Pushups can be done normally, unless you have wrist issues, then use a barbell.

Just put your feet under the sofa if you find they rise during situps (and for us in the academy, we had to place our hands covering our ears.)

And for dips, I just use the edge of a chair.

The only plus to this is the pull-up portion, because most guys don't do pull-ups - they're simply to hard. I would venture a guess to say the average guy (non-cop) could only do 3-5 pull-ups. But you can probably buy a pull-up car for $20.00 at the local sports store. I don't know how much this costs in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusindc View Post

Just put your feet under the sofa if you find they rise during situps (and for us in the academy, we had to place our hands covering our ears.)
                in the academy we did most of our situps w/o someone holding our feet, fingers locked behind the head....when it came time to do them for the PT test, when someone WAS holding your feet it made them a breeze....so you might want to consider training like that for your test.

Comment

I agree with most that just doing the exercises the way you will in the academy is probably the best actual prep you can do.

Having said that, I use the Iron Gym constantly as an upper body and core building system. I only do pull-ups, though. If I want to do harder pushups, I put my feet up on a chair. I also do dips from a chair with my feet up on another chair to get range of motion.

The pull-ups are great for shoulders, upper chest, and back. If you crunch your knees up to your chest while you're doing them, you also work your abs pretty hard. I vary the type (palm out or in) and width to increase the range of the muscles worked. My back is ripped mostly because of the pull-ups I do.

My caveat to this is that I'm a slim guy, so pullups are naturally fairly easy for me. I can crank out 20 without even trying hard. Bottom line is it works well for me as a supplemental to the standards, but it may not work for a bigger, heavier guy who can't get the reps I do.
                  "All that is, ever
                  Ever was, will be, ever
                  Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by SCPD10 View Post
                    Lol I understand that's what the iron gym says....I mean how does the SCPD test you, is it with your arms across your chest or hands behind your head, thanks again
                    It doesn't say on their website, the only thing I found was:

SIT-UP MUSCULAR ENDURANCE (Core Body) - The score indicated below
                    is the number of bent-leg sit-ups performed in one (1) minute.
                    I would just call them and ask how the situps are done.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

I have the iron gym, but I only use it for pull-ups. It works perfectly in that aspect.

Comment

Hi guys, so I found out how the sit ups have to be done.

They have to be done with your hands locked behind your head and your chest have to touch your knees.

I hope this info helps
                        Last edited by SCPD10; 12-11-2009, 09:19 PM. Reason: edit
                        SCPD

Comment

Hi guys, so I found out how the sit ups have to be done.

They have to be done with your hands locked behind your head and your knees have to touch your knees.

I hope this info helps
                          Then practice doing situps with your hand locked behind your head. The Iron gym, like JSD said is not going to make you better at situps.

How many situps can you do in a minute currently? Same for push ups, how many in a minute?

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Originally posted by djblank87 View Post
                            Then practice doing situps with your hand locked behind your head. The Iron gym, like JSD said is not going to make you better at situps.
                            Not only that, but the testers aren't going to let you trot in with the Iron Gym for your test. Best thing to do is exactly what they're asking for on your own time until you're confident enough to go in the test without an issue. Put another way, if you get used to doing the move differently than the test, it may be a psychological defeater, and not just a physical one.
                            For those who want to argue religion, my views are in the sig. This avoids days of repetition and is convenient. Thanks and good luck in your quest.

Answering Infidels
                            Faith issues
                            Challenging hardcore atheism
                            Reasonable Faith

Comment

Hello everyone, I am preparing for my physical fitness screening for the SCPD. I did do a search but i only found one thread on this it it is over a year old, I am looking for more up to date reviews
                              There's not much to review. It's simply a tool you can do push ups, chins, and a few others on. What else is there to say? Considering the cost, it might make an OK addition to a home gym that had some weights, TRX suspension trainer, balance ball, etc. for something different than standard push ups and such. There's tons of good threads and advice here recommending various programs to follow, so start there.
                              - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10820 users online. 374 members and 10446 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X