300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home gym

Ok, so now I'm thinking of investing in a home gym. Anybody have one that they'd recommend?

I just got the standard Gold's Gym bench (flat, incline, decline) with curling bar rest and leg lift extension from Wal-Mart. And to be straight with you, I don't really use it anymore. I workout at my department after work or at the gym down the street. If you have workout facilities around you, check there first. If it's within your budget, I say go for it.

There's a few reasons working out at a gym is better. First, there are too many distractions at your house. Second, it's easier to stay motivated when there are many people around you doing the same thing. Third, the equipment you use is readily available and won't burn a hole in your pocket.

Comment

I have a Nautilus gym from Costco and I like it. The only thing I wish I'd done is got a Smith Machine home gym instead. You reach a certain point where it's nice to have a peg lockout system if you don't have a spotter for squats and presses.
      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by COEast View Post
        If you have workout facilities around you, check there first. If it's within your budget, I say go for it.
        I always find an excuse not to travel to workout and am paranoid that people are looking at me 'cuz I may not be doing something right.

Edit to add: This is what I'm currently looking at: Bowflex PR3000

Comment

What are you looking to get out of a workout. Some people like to get bigger, some want to get ripped, some people like to do cardio work out. Decide what you want out the workout and then you can get better ideas from people here.
          Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiu-Jitsu Cop View Post
            What are you looking to get out of a workout. Some people like to get bigger, some want to get ripped, some people like to do cardio work out. Decide what you want out the workout and then you can get better ideas from people here.
            I want to get bigger without it going to my waist. I do not need to slim down anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusindc View Post
              I always find an excuse not to travel to workout and am paranoid that people are looking at me 'cuz I may not be doing something right.

Edit to add: This is what I'm currently looking at: Bowflex PR3000
              Paranoid that you are not doing something right? Are you kidding me? Most knuckleheads in the gym have no clue what they are doing and the personal trainers know a fraction more.

I agree a gym membership has a lot of benefits like those mentioned above, but if you have to get a home gym your money would be best spent by a squat rack/ power rack, and an Olympic bar and weights. Squats, deadlifts, the press, and pull ups will get you to where you want to be.

I wouldn't care what other people think; I am the only person at my gym that performs certain exercises such as knees to elbow, clean and jerk, power snatch and clean, and hand stand push ups... I can also guarantee meatheads are thinking I am doing an effed up military press when I am doing the push press... I don't care as I am in and out in 20-30 mins covered in sweat while they are standing around doing their curls for 90 mins

Comment

Everyone goes to a gym for essentially the same thing: to lose weight. Some go to show off or pick up chicks, but most go to workout. If you're doing something wrong, ask someone. A lot of times, people are extremely helpful and friendly. At least when I go they are.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                  Paranoid that you are not doing something right? Are you kidding me? Most knuckleheads in the gym have no clue what they are doing and the personal trainers know a fraction more.

I agree a gym membership has a lot of benefits like those mentioned above, but if you have to get a home gym your money would be best spent by a squat rack/ power rack, and an Olympic bar and weights. Squats, deadlifts, the press, and pull ups will get you to where you want to be.

I wouldn't care what other people think; I am the only person at my gym that performs certain exercises such as knees to elbow, clean and jerk, power snatch and clean, and hand stand push ups... I can also guarantee meatheads are thinking I am doing an effed up military press when I am doing the push press... I don't care as I am in and out in 20-30 mins covered in sweat while they are standing around doing their curls for 90 mins
                  i'm seriously considering transfering to D troop just to have a decent work out partner

Comment

Ok... I appreciate everyone comments about the gym, but that's not what I'm looking for. I've found that working out at home is more effective for me.

So... any recommendations for home gyms?

Comment

As stated before by some here, you are better investing in a bench, power rack, some type of pull-up bar, barbell, also maybe one of those adjustable dumbell sets. You can build a great body on free weights alone, but not on machines alone. If you get a universal home gym you will eventually be limited by it. With the equipment above you have at least 100 or more execises', plus never ending poundages.

Comment

Originally posted by OperatorEX
                        power rack
                        bench
                        barbell
                        weights
                        Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post

Originally posted by _GLOCK_ View Post
                        As stated before by some here, you are better investing in a bench, power rack, some type of pull-up bar, barbell, also maybe one of those adjustable dumbell sets. You can build a great body on free weights alone, but not on machines alone. If you get a universal home gym you will eventually be limited by it. With the equipment above you have at least 100 or more execises', plus never ending poundages.
                        Read all of this. IMO there are no "multi-gym" (espcially Bowflex) that can compare with a power rack, FID bench and olympic barbell set. You can add other things (dumbbells, or specialty equipment like punching bags, kettlebells, etc) from there. There is no safer, more effective and versatile starting setup than this. Look on Craigslist for the best deals. I'm sure your area will have plenty of decent deals often.

I am a huge advocate of creating the best home gym that works for the individual's needs, while providing safety and versatility. There are a TON of reasons NOT to get a Bowflex, no matter what your needs/goals are.

There are very very cheap ways to reach many fitness goals, like simply making a sandbag or two (for about $20-30 each) and doing nearly every resistance exercise with that and doing some running (free). But this may not be what you want. Find the best fit for you, but it certainly sounds like the power rack et al is the way to go for your goals.

I work out at home (yes, power rack is primary piece) and bought nearly every piece I own from Craigslist. I saved about 80%-85% off the retail. I have a ton of stuff that would not be needed/wanted by some people, but work for me. I also have a couple of large tires that I use for a dozen or so exercises (anyone seen my video?). I work out at home with these things and would never go back to a commercial gym unless I have a serious change in my circumstances.
                        Last edited by brownj21; 11-27-2009, 10:32 AM.
                        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

So something more along these lines?

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=search

Comment

not a smith machine......something like this

all you need is a barbell and weights after. definitely much more expensive, but its got a dip and pull up station, comes w/ the bench also i believe

Comment

No, no, no.

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
                              not a smith machine......something like this

all you need is a barbell and weights after. definitely much more expensive, but its got a dip and pull up station, comes w/ the bench also i believe
                              Yes, yes yes.
                              Marcus, keep in mind the rack that Dr. Peebody has linked is one of the most expensive (and sexiest) in the world. Elite has some AWESOME stuff, but you would likely be served just fine with a Powertec, BodySolid or other mid-level home use rack. Again, check Craigslist. I bought an INCREDIBLE rack, with an Okie deadlift bar for $175 and have seen deals as good or better out there.

Here, I just checked the Baltimore CL and found

Powertec rack plus 100lbs of weight for $300
                              http://baltimore.craigslist.org/spo/1482039744.html

Here is a Weider rack with a bench and 225 lbs in weights for $400!!! (EVERYTHING you need for 1 price).
                              http://baltimore.craigslist.org/spo/1478889341.html
                              www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2308 users online. 153 members and 2155 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X