300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protien and Creatine for Low Carb Diet

Can anyone recommend if I should be taking a protien shake and creatine supplement while on a low carb diet? Im trying to lose weight and improve fitness and running time. Dont want to bulk up.
    Thanks

If you don't want to bulk up, and eat a senisible diet, I don't see any reason that you would need protein shakes. As long as you're getting enough protein in your diet to rebuild those muscles from running then you're all set.

When I took Creatine I retained a LOT of water weight.

Comment

man, i'm with you.... it sucks when i accidentally get huge.

Comment

If you dont want to get bigger than lay off the creatine. A protein shake is no different than eating a piece of chicken so tailor your intake to that of your daily caloric needs.
        Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
        Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

No. Low carb diet and increased cardio will help you achieve your running goals. Creatine and protein shakes are more applicable to weight lifting and getting stronger or bigger.

Comment

first and foremost, low carb diets are a thing of the past. it is a complete fad. how are you supposed to train for running and endurance if you are low carb and do not have the proper energy to perform and train on a daily basis?

Protein is simply what it is....PROTEIN! it is exactly like eating an extra piece of chicken. most proteins are enhanced with BCAAs which will help in recovery from workouts and also boost muscular endurance during workouts.

Creatine, while some feel a great amount of bloat (you may just be more sensitive to it and may want to try a decreased serving sze), will improve ATP stores in the body thus giving you more stored energy and fuel for your workouts. if you are training for endurance and long distant running you may not need creatine as much, however i would not count either of these products out as both are beneficial in energy and recovery.

Comment

If you feel that you cannot run as well because you are overweight then you need to change your entire diet in general. not just go low carb and hope for the best. low carb diets lower our daily caloric intake, thus helping to lose weight, but energy is sacrificed. also, more often than not, after a few days of low carb we tend to over eat due to our body craving those essential carbs that we deplete it of.

try smaller meals throughout the day...every three to 4 hours. whole grain carbs and high fibrous vegetables with lots of lean meat such as fish and chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by ready2go View Post

try smaller meals throughout the day...every three to 4 hours. whole grain carbs and high fibrous vegetables with lots of lean meat such as fish and chicken.

Best advice right there! Low carb diets are great, if done right! The problem is most people think low carb = low carb. WRONG! High grain fiber and other "natural" healthy carbs, such as fruits and veggies are to be taken in MODERATE amounts while sugars, sweetners and other "empty" carbs are to be taken in LOW amounts. This maintains your bodies energy levels throughout the day and helps glucose levels remain stable, instead of spiking, which is caused when you take in to much "empty" carbs. Just remember though you want a moderate amount of good carbs, so dont go eating that whole loaf of wheat bread! To much of ANYTHING will have negative effects.

Comment

Don't be fooled into thinking your weight will correlate directly with your running times and fitness. I've seen some guys who carry some weight on their bellies, but can really book it. Heck, just look at the NFL. Some of those guys are well over 25% bodyfat but can still run under a 5 second 40.
                  Get you diet right and then stop worrying about how many lbs you weigh. Focus on performance.
                  That said, it's true that protein is just protein, but there's different kinds. Most likely you're talking about whey protein. Whey protein is fast digesting, and you don't need that all the time. Take whey protein when your body is starved for protein like after a workout or maybe a little in the morning after you haven't eaten anything for 8 hours. The rest of the time eat real food, like lean meats. And don't cut carbs altogether or you're not going to get better at running. Just switch your carbs to things like sweet potatoes, brown rice, and oatmeal.
                  Oh yeah, and creatine.. it used to be just for weightlifters, but the runners are coming around and endorsing it now. It will make you retain a little more water, but it doesn't actually STOP you from losing weight. I'm working on losing weight before the academy and I'm still taking creatine because I'm also trying to improve my overall fitness and athleticism through running and Crossfit. Yeah, I could stop taking creatine and probably drop another 3-5 lbs of water weight, but I'm concentrating right now on losing fat. Also, when you take creatine drink LOTS of water. That should keep you from getting bloated.
                  "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
                    man, i'm with you.... it sucks when i accidentally get huge.
                    F-ing hate it when that happens!
                    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

I wouldn't mess with creatine personally. Opinions vary.
                      Protein however, should be taken no matter what style of exercise you do. Not only building but maintaining lean muscle mass is always your goal and nothing does it better than protein. Use your shake post workout, your body soaks it up better at that time than any other.
                      For those who want to argue religion, my views are in the sig. This avoids days of repetition and is convenient. Thanks and good luck in your quest.

Answering Infidels
                      Faith issues
                      Challenging hardcore atheism
                      Reasonable Faith

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5760 users online. 328 members and 5432 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X