Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started running

and Im sucking wind bad.
    How long does it take before you start getting your breathing under control? Im way out of shape but decided I needed to start doing somthing about it. Im obviously not running long distance at fast speeds, but even for the short distance at a nice slow jog has me breathing very hard and feeling like I cant get enough air in when I slow to a walk.

Thanks for any advice

Took me a few months in basic training of running every day to get it down. I got to where I time my breaths with my footfalls for example: step-inhale,step-inhale, step-inhale,step-exhale,step-exhale etc. It worked for me but your results may vary.
    Time and miles under your feet will be the best medicine for success.
    Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face.

Be polite to everyone but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

It takes time. I dont recommend running every day especially for a beginner though. Vary your cardio workouts...do something you enjoy as well such as swimming, biking, basketball, etc. Weight training too. All these and more will help build your cardiovascular system up.
      Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
      Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

I don't know if you've ever run before or it you have a plan for what you're doing now. Google "Couch to 5K". It's been brought up several times on here and may help you out a bit. There's even a free podcast on iTunes with music set to the timed intervals in the program.
        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I've heard lots of things about that couch to 5k program.

What did it for me was just don't stop. When I was out of shape I just kept going, would walk when I had to, then pick it back up.

One day it just clicked. I was on the treadmill and ran 2 miles, had some great music in my ears, and didn't want to stop. I ended up finished about 5 miles. After that I started seeing huge improvment and running like I was in high school again. I wish I could tell you the secret.

Something I always liked to do was run in a straight line away from my house instead of around the block, trail etc. I'd run til I was tired. That way, when I was completely out of gas, I'd have to do the same thing back and it really pushes your endurance.

Comment

it also took me a few months to go from fatass to 3 miles. My problem was training my lungs, I wouldnt be tired but I couldnt take in enough air...all it takes is time, and a little pain.
            Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

I would say sell crack.
              Everytime I get out on a crack dealer they always run. There must be something about the crack that makes you want to run more.
              Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

I recently started running again too. Thanks for the good advice guys/gals!

Comment

Hey buddy, good luck with your running, you will get where the sucking wind aint that bad. LOL start out with some good running shoes, so you wont be totally useless the next day when your cramping. thats what i had to do.

Comment

Pat yourself on the back for at least trying. Keep up the good work.

Comment

I just checked out this couch to 5k program. Looks like a good place to start for someone that hasn't been a runner in a while. I'll report back next week and see how it is working...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Sector View Post
                        Took me a few months in basic training of running every day to get it down. I got to where I time my breaths with my footfalls for example: step-inhale,step-inhale, step-inhale,step-exhale,step-exhale etc. It worked for me but your results may vary.
                        Time and miles under your feet will be the best medicine for success.
                        I agree with Frank. Consciously slow and control your breathing. Timing breathing with your steps keeps your mind busy and your pace more consistent.

Another thing to try is running with a buddy. It sounds strange, but talking as you run forces you to hold air in your lungs longer, which helps you absorb more oxygen. Not to mention having some company can help the miles tick by a little more quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by oSutrooper View Post
                          I just checked out this couch to 5k program. Looks like a good place to start for someone that hasn't been a runner in a while. I'll report back next week and see how it is working...
                          The Couch to 5k program is an excellent resource to get things going. It works really well when you need a program to follow to get the maximum benefit from it.

The principles in C25k are solid ones. Start out slow, run short distances followed by recovery walks. Once you've caught your breath, start running again. Each week, push a little longer. Before you know it you'll be running like crazy.
                          Originally posted by kontemplerande
                          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I started C2K 2 weeks ago, from someone (myself) who never could run, it has helped a lot.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Im sorta like Maverick said, Im really not that pysically tired when running, I could actually go a little further. If I only had some air. lol. Im real suprised that at my weight, my knees arnt hurting me. I really was expecting this. Also since its been 10 or 15 years since Ive really done any serious running. Im running about 4 days a week and it is slowely strating to creep up in distance. Again thanks for the advice

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11767 users online. 447 members and 11320 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X