300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one year shots

Well here's my before/after. Started with P90X, went to traditional lifting and running for a few months, now doing Crossfit for the past two months and loving it. Biggest thing though: HAD to change my eating habits. Started at 230 and now at 184.
    For those who want to argue religion, my views are in the sig. This avoids days of repetition and is convenient. Thanks and good luck in your quest.

Answering Infidels
    Faith issues
    Challenging hardcore atheism
    Reasonable Faith

damn..look really good man..keep it up. I have the hardest with my eating but I lift hard and do good cardio
    Graduated Clayton Academy: Nov. 17,2009

Hired: Dec. 4, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by austratman23 View Post
      damn..look really good man..keep it up. I have the hardest with my eating but I lift hard and do good cardio
      Thanks
      Yes, the eating is 85% of it honestly. For years I would lift and run hard only to get few visual results. The holy grail was changing up eating. I use myfitnesspal.com and track everything and keep my numbers balanced (around 200 protein/carbs and 70 fat per day). It's a great tool and it's free. Helps keep me honest when I see it all on paper.
      For those who want to argue religion, my views are in the sig. This avoids days of repetition and is convenient. Thanks and good luck in your quest.

Answering Infidels
      Faith issues
      Reasonable Faith

Comment

yah, im working on it. Drinking my protein for the morning. I know how to eat well, just not giving in. I have lost about 8 lbs. I am 5'11 and weight about 220. Bench about 365. I think im about 17 percent body fat. Want to get down to about 10 and I will be glad. I don't have a belly that hangs over or nothing. Doing couch to 5k to motivate me to run. I don't mind it but don't love it. Keep it up bro.
        Graduated Clayton Academy: Nov. 17,2009

Hired: Dec. 4, 2009

Comment

Solid looking 184! Looking good bro. Hard work does pay off.

Comment

Great transformation. I hope I can get half those results.
            What is Perseverance?
            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by MDS View Post
              Thanks
              Yes, the eating is 85% of it honestly. For years I would lift and run hard only to get few visual results. The holy grail was changing up eating. I use myfitnesspal.com and track everything and keep my numbers balanced (around 200 protein/carbs and 70 fat per day). It's a great tool and it's free. Helps keep me honest when I see it all on paper.
              Eating is also my biggest obstacle. Do you mind posting up what you eat in a typical day?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

As for food, here is my guidelines:

I use an online 'food diary' called www.myfitnesspal.com It's free and it tracks what you eat. It takes a few minutes a night to use (I recommend doing it the day before work, helps you plan and get everything set). It's not difficult and if you come across a food that's not in the database, you can enter it yourself from the information on the package.
                All I did was keep my protein at 1 gram per bodyweight and my carbs at or below that same number. So, when I started I was 230 lbs. I would eat 230 grams of protein per day, and keep my carbs around the same or lower (preferably lower). Actually the first month I kept the carbs around 150 per day, just to get my system burning the fat quick. It wasn't easy but again, it was only for a month or so.
                The site (myfitnesspal.com) sets the protein too low at the default settings if you want to maintain and build lean muscle mass (which as guys, we all want to do). My fat stays around 65-75.
                Now how to do all this isn't really as hard as you might think. Firstly I don't eat a 'night meal'. Give yourself a solid two hours prior to bed where you aren't chomping away. To suppress any sweet cravings at night, I buy Propel powder packs. They're only 4 carbs per pack and are super sour. It's like eating candy and it seems to help me, at least.
                To get enough protein you need to use whey. I eat good sandwiches and am careful with breads. Most are high in carbs and low on protein but two that I use are Healthy Life 100% Whole Wheat and also Nature's Own Wheat n' Fiber. Both have low fat and keep the protein balanced with the carbs.
                Lean deli meats are pretty much what I eat for sandwiches. Turkey breast, grilled chicken strips, fat free bologna, things like that. Again, just read the labels.
                I love candy bars like anyone else. But protein bars can be great things to substitute. BUT, just because it's called a protein bar doesn't mean it's good. READ the ingredients! A lot of bars yes, have protein but also a ton of carbs in them. The best ones I've found with a good balance are: Titan (found at Kroger), Pure Protein (almost anywhere), and Detour (Publix, Walmart). All taste pretty good and fight off the urge to gobble down a Snickers or Reese Cup. South Beach protein bars are good also. I love the cinnamon raisin.
                For cereal I eat Special K Protein Plus with nonfat milk.
                For chips I'll eat Ruffles Light with olestra.
                Remember: Eat the serving sizes. Don't go nuts and eat a whole bag of Ruffles light just because they're nonfat. There are still carbs in the bag, lots of them you don't want to retain. So serving size is all you should take in.
                Tuna is a great thing to eat, nothing bad in there. I like Starkist products where you just tear the bag open and eat. Albacore is better but it's so dry I have a hard time eating it really. If you can choke it down, that's good.

I think that's about it. I weigh once a week, otherwise you get obsessed with the scale, and your body does funny stuff some days. I do monday mornings as soon as I get up before I dress or get anything on my stomach. Keeps it consistent.

Last thing: Don't think of it as a 'diet'. A diet is something that is temporary. You want to make these changes forever, or else you will simply go back to your old way of eating and will gain everything back you've worked hard to get off. You can still have a meal (read meal, not day) where you eat what you want. I do it once a month, usually on a birthday or holiday or a date night with the wife. The only reason I do it is because if you stay clean the rest of the time, this shocks your metabolism into high gear again. I don't recommend doing this the first month or two, because the temptation to go back to old habits will creep up easily. I actually feel guilty when I do my cheat day now, but this is good because I get straight again easily the next day.

I'm certainly no expert or guru, and don't think I'm trying to be. All I can offer is what has worked for me. If there's anything you want to ask, feel free. I'll help where I can but again I'm not posing as any sort of expert or know-it-all.

If you're interested in a good workout, I did P90X for two phases and it was great. I'm doing crossfit now (www.crossfit.com) and it's an *** kicker. You can do any workout you wish, but do something to exercise. The most important thing is your eating habits; anywhere from 80-90% of it, in fact.

Stay safe guys.

Answering Infidels
                Faith issues
                Reasonable Faith

Comment

Let me also add that it's a constant tweaking. The guidelines I stuck to above worked. I'm now increasing my carbs as I've learned the difference between 'good' and 'bad' ones. Oatmeal is great and my breakfast every morning now with a bit of sugar and cinnamon. Preworkout meal consists of a banana that gets burned off during the workout but gives great energy to last. I tend to take in more carbs in the morning and less as the day goes on.

Anyway, that's about the best advice I can give.
                  Last edited by MDS; 10-31-2009, 08:07 AM.

Answering Infidels
                  Faith issues
                  Reasonable Faith

Comment

Nice job man.
                    How about cheat meals? Did you do them at all/often?
                    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

When say you did p90x for two phases do you mean 180 days total or the 60 days?

Comment

Brown: At first I didn't cheat for months. In fact the first time I had a brownie from Chick Fil A, I acted like a runway model about it....lol. Then, I read up and talked to guys who have been doing this for years and they told me that there is nothing wrong with a cheat meal. In fact, it is said to reboost your metabolism by shocking your system. Understand, it's a cheat MEAL not a cheat DAY. Once you reach your goal, once a week is said to be a good cheat but I've been doing it once a month. Once a month is a real treat and something I can look forward to. I've done once a month since July and it hasn't done anything negative. There has been the odd time that I'll cheat and get a 'bad' dessert during that month also, but it's only been a couple of times. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just don't want to ever get back on the wrong track.

Snake: I did the entire Lean program first (most guys start with Classic, but weight reduction and cardio was my main focus) then did the entire Classic. I started Doubles but met up with my old partner so I went back to running/lifting again. As said in OP, I've left that again and been Crossfitting for the past two and a half months now. So I'm guessing that was sixty days plus a few.

Answering Infidels
                        Faith issues
                        Reasonable Faith

Comment

good stuff thanks for sharing.
                          Thomas - aka HUCK
                          PST II - Police Service Tech II

Comment

great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Great work.

Congratulations on the progress.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4152 users online. 253 members and 3899 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X