300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push-up Help

Hello everyone, I have a quick question. I am in the police here in Ohio and have seemed to hit a plateau when it comes to push-ups. I do enough to pass but my goal is to hit 50 in one minute. I cannot seem to do more than about 33. I have always had a weak upper body and can't seem to get into a workout plan that really works. I max out my sit-ups and am shaving down my 1.5 mile time (cut 30 seconds a month for the past two months). Any ideas?
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

What is your training routine as of now?
    Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
    Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

I take every available moment to just drop and do them. I end up doing about 60-80 a day. I also bust out about 20 pull-ups while at the academy. I just do about 10 pushups or so at a clip several times a day when I can

I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Everyday?

Rest 5 to 7 days. Then attempt a max
        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Everyday. I also think maybe my form is a little off. Any ideas with that as well?

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
            I take every available moment to just drop and do them. I end up doing about 60-80 a day. I also bust out about 20 pull-ups while at the academy. I just do about 10 pushups or so at a clip several times a day when I can
            If you are doing a set at "every available moment", how is it that you only end up doing 60-80 for the entire day? That number should be much higher. Please, read on.

What you are doing is similar to a technique called "grease the groove" which is actually excellent for getting your numbers up in just about any exercise (worked for me in pullups, pushups and situps).

As far as using this, you are doing 2 things wrong-#1 you apparently arent doing them often enough during the day OR are not doing enough in each set. If you can get a set of 33, you should be doing something close to that number for each set-more like 25 reps. Or if you are only doing 2-4 sets a day, you need to up it to 8-10 sets. So, you should end up doing about 200 reps during the course of a day. I would often just set my cell phone to go off each hour on the hour. Now, sometimes I was busy doing something and couldnt get that set done. No big deal, the next hour I would get it done. If you figure a set as soon as you wake up and one right as you are going to bed, that makes 2 of the 8-10 I am recommending right there. Dont do them more often than once an hour though. This will ensure you are getting FULL recovery.

#2 thing you arent doing is resting. A method like this taxes your system a bit and you must allow it to recover to experience the gains. JSD suggested 5-7 days off. I dont know if I would go that far, but in your case, take more than 1 day. Maybe 2-3.

Again, the technique you are using works well, but you must do more than the 60-80 and you must take some rest. When I did it, I would go for 5 days, rest one and then do a test on the 7th day.

I was able to get 62 in a minute with good form (instructor watching over me, had to touch a small block with my chest each time, no sagging in the middle, come all the way to the top, etc).
            Good luck.
            www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
              Everyday?

Rest 5 to 7 days. Then attempt a max
              x2
              Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
              Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

Thanks for all of the info. I'm definately gonna work on this. I got till march to hit my goal. Hopefully I will, but it won't be for lack of trying.

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
                  Thanks for all of the info. I'm definately gonna work on this. I got till march to hit my goal. Hopefully I will, but it won't be for lack of trying.
                  March? Thats more than enough time to get AT LEAST 50.
                  www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

A great website to go to is hundredpushups.com.

Comment

i Would just advise you start working out hard atleast 3 times a week. No need to over do it but I just hit the gym and then I have no problem knocking out 50 pushups at a time. Yuo can do it. Stay focused and train hard
                      Graduated Clayton Academy: Nov. 17,2009

Hired: Dec. 4, 2009

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4779 users online. 322 members and 4457 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X