300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth about Supplements?

So, i have been doing all kinds of research on these Baby's and came up with some interesting things Company's go to to push there Products.

taking a Out of shape individual,Photo shopping there body using Photo shop,and making it look like they gained size,strength, and mass over a few weeks,and putting pictures on the back of the Products.

I really am skeptic of these Products i know Supplements are part of a billion dollar company,I usually just stick to my diet of protein Steak,Eggs,Cottage cheese, egg whites,strictly water,fruits and such,I'm making pretty good progress,working out 5 days a week 2 days off.

I still need my daily intake of Protein which is around 170, to 255 grams a day,unless you have that time and money.Most people will buy Supplements,I myself do still,either that or eat a ridiculous amount of steaks and protein which i try to do everyday

Anyone have any opinions? or answers to these Products?

I myself want to gain Muscle Naturally,Either power lifting or Bodybuilding to an extent

We all know unless you have The Edge as Pro Bodybuilders call it,you will never be the best lol
    Last edited by KentuckyCO; 10-14-2009, 10:38 PM. Reason: re edit
    "Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure"~ Don Wilder

Originally posted by KentuckyCO View Post
    taking a Out of shape individual,Photo shopping there body using Photo shop,and making it look like they gained size,strength, and mass over a few weeks,and putting pictures on the back of the Products.
    Many of these companies go out and hire very athletic, well built people to purposely put on weight over the short term. When they gain the weight, they take the "before" pictures. Being naturally fit and athletic people, they drop the weight rapidly and return to their normal selves. Then the "after" photos are taken.

There was an expose on one of the hour long TV news shows a few years back that brought all this to light.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Yeah that's also true, cutting and gaining is probably easy for Bodybuilders with 4 to 5% bodyfat one guy told me one time, when you get to know how your body works. "Your body not some Professional Bodybuilder or going and trying what these IFBB Pro's are showing in Videos and said you learn how to control your body, and manipulate it and such.

Comment

So what I'm gathering is, you want to gain muscle, but naturally. Well, gaining muscle, lean muscle, is a slow and arduous process. Training is part of it, but nutrition is a much bigger part. Most don't have the discipline in order to live a bb'er lifestyle and I always suggest a book called "Sliced" in regards to gaining weight and shedding it. It's not always about high protein, I think some things that were learned a while back are soon forgotten.
        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
          Well, gaining muscle, lean muscle, is a slow and arduous process.
          Exactly! If you put in the work, you'll get results. You will even get results without good nutrition, but you will get better results with it.

Personally I don't think any 'supplement' is really worth a darn.

Comment

Yeah, there are many foods that have the Protein Building blocks for muscle in it

Creatine,

Carbohydrates

My fav is Steak, I might not be able to eat 5 pounds of steak or Meat a day like those who have all that money, but i believe there is no Secret but Protein itself,Hardcore workouts lifting till you hit Muscle failure on every workout and Water intake

Comment

Yeah, there are many foods that have the Protein Building blocks for muscle in it

Creatine,

Carbohydrates

My fav is Steak, I might not be able to eat 5 pounds of steak or Meat a day like those who have all that money, but i believe there is no Secret but Protein itself,Hardcore workouts lifting till you hit Muscle failure on every workout and Water intake
              All macro nutrients (protein, fat, carbs) are essential for muscle growth and overall bodily function. JSD is saying protein isnt the mecca of muscle growth but just 1/4 of the equation when including water. And lifting until failure everytime is just plain dumb. A good way to damage your CNS. Also, the quality of macros taken in play a HUGE role too.
              Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
              Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

Food first as you have stated. As far as supplements go, a good multi, like Mega Men, Animal Pak, Optimen are all good. Next protein powder, I am like you the more from food better. Last fish oil, get a good one from GNC, or Nordic Naturals (Very expensive but the best).

After those three which are your base, you can use creatine, pre-workout booster (NO-Xplode, Superpump 250 etc.). Last, a test booster depending on age. These supplements listed here are only used after your base supplements. With supplements I always use the three basic from above, then try one special supplement like the ones listed so you can track how it works for you. Supplements do work, but they are that, supplements, to your diet and training program. No, they will not change your body like the pics companies use, only good training, food, water, and sleep will truly do that.
                Last edited by _GLOCK_; 10-17-2009, 09:40 AM.

Comment

You need a good pre and post workout shake.... I'm only drinking one post workout currently because I haven't found what settles best with me. My exercise also involves more cardio and only minimal weight lifting.

Here's what I got now: 35 grams of 100% WHEY protein, 5 grams creatine powder, 35 grams orange gatorade powder.

Those numbers can change I just keep the 1:1 ratio protein:carbs. Many will knock the gatorade powder but it makes it go down better than a dextrose sugar blend.

Also a good multivitamin, I'm taking Orange Triad.

The most un natural thing about all of it is the gatorade so no worries there...

Comment

well, I am allready Muscular and Stocky being 5,4 170 lbs,Last i measured of my Biceps,they were 13 inches, I want to bring them up to at least 16 17,I allready have a bodybuilders Build to an extent,Great Genetics also play a role.

I know alot of guys admire Bruce lee for how little he was yet he was in top bodybuilder shape without being so bulky,

4/6 to 10 reps lifting all the way to failure,of the heaviest weights you can get Dead lifts, Dumbbell Presses, Bench presses,Squats without damaging your back and such, seems to be working for me.Although if you have to get a Power lifters belt it might help,I plan on Bodybuilding for the next 20 years of my life,I'm only 22 years old,unless i get married or date a woman who hates guy who look like Monsters HA! Jk

God Bless

Comment

well, I am allready Muscular and Stocky being 5,4 170 lbs,Last i measured of my Biceps,they were 13 inches, I want to bring them up to at least 16 17,I allready have a bodybuilders Build to an extent,Great Genetics also play a role.

I know alot of guys admire Bruce lee for how little he was yet he was in top bodybuilder shape without being so bulky,

4/6 to 10 reps lifting all the way to failure,of the heaviest weights you can get Dead lifts, Dumbbell Presses, Bench presses,Squats without damaging your back and such, seems to be working for me.Although if you have to get a Power lifters belt it might help,I plan on Bodybuilding for the next 20 years of my life,I'm only 22 years old,unless i get married or date a woman who hates guy who look like Monsters HA! Jk

God Bless
                      Kentucky, I applaud you on your interest in weight training and nutrition but I think your view on what is 'big' or 'bulky' is rather skewed. Bruce Lee was in INCREDIBLE condition, given that he was probably no more than 130lbs, but you can't put him in a bodybuilder category..if anything, at least in my humble and non mattering opinion, he was sinewy.

In a previous thread, http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129363 , you claim that you are 21% bodyfat and in your picture in that very same thread, I just don't see it. I don't classify you as muscular or even stocky for that matter, and without trying to insult you, you just look like your average ectomorph. If your upper arm is 13 inches around you should be concentrating on the basic compound exercises and pounding down loads of food, IF, you are interested in gaining size. As a newbie in the iron game, this is the time that you should be responding to the exercises and growing like a weed....usually the first few months the body is most responsive to the iron stimuli. Focus on a big back (bent over rows), big chest (dips or bench press of some sort) and big legs (squats or deads) and the arms will follow. You can't build a house without a strong foundation, same holds true for the body.....worry about your arms later, once you've put on a good 15lbs or more of bodyweight, you'll find your arms are also bigger.

You seem enthusiastic and that's great, but the battle with the iron is a long long road and many give up when they don't see what they want. There really is no magic pill except consistency and the drive to succeed. Use supplements to do just that....supplement your diet. If you compare yourself to others who are bigger or more powerful than you, you will doom yourself to fail, compete only against yourself and if you always train to failure, eventually you will fail...max efforts should be done every so often, not all the time, leave a bit in the tank....most of the time, it is better to undertrain, than overtrain. In the end, find what works for you and stick with it as long as it continues to work and when you find that routine no longer works, move on to the next one and milk it for all its worth.

Eat, Train, Rest, repeat = success.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback JSD73

Yeah i am very interested in Bodybuilding for some reason, almost have an obsession for some reason prob like many guys,I think it best describes Guys look at having Big muscles and built body's as a Powerful thing, Some guys just said they wanted to look like the Thing or have Freakish size I guess you could say haha

by the way have you heard about Max-OT training? its a 12 week program,I'm currently trying it
                        Last edited by KentuckyCO; 10-16-2009, 09:55 AM. Reason: re edit

Comment

Max OT has been around for quite a long time and many have used it with great success. Just don't add 'more' to the program and make sure you listen to your body, if you need rest, take it....rest is when you grow.

Also look into Bill Starr's 5x5, I actually have always loved that program as well as Vince Gironda's 6x6 or 8x8.

Also look into buying the book Brawn by Stuart McRobert. Here's his website, http://stuartmcrobert.com/

You can find the book cheaper elsewhere I'm sure but that's the beauty of weight training, there is SO much information on training out there so many routines, you just can't get bored. I am like you, I love the look of bb'ers, but also love the density of powerlifters and strongmen and each type of training has something to offer in the way of size and strength. Keep your enthusiasm, it will only help you reach your goals.

Comment

Anyone have any opinions? or answers to these Products?
                            What products? There's only about 9,387,419,0481 different supplements out there made by 4,439,913,43 different companies....could you be a little more specific???
                            - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Yes Will, I'd like to know more about product # 1,345,654,231 made by company #3,908. Thanks in advance.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5165 users online. 292 members and 4873 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X