300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working 2 shift and Working Out Late At Night

Me and my workout partner currently work 2nd shift hours (3p-11p) and we workout after our shift. I am curious to know if anyone else does this and what your eating habits are like. After my workout, I feel very hungry and sometimes have trouble going to sleep afterwards. They say not to eat after 7, but sometimes we dont get to eat until later then that. I also stay up till 2, sometimes 3 and sleep till 11am or so, so the eating habits of mine are off as well. Any thoughts?
    Thomas - aka HUCK
    PST II - Police Service Tech II

I used to do it when I worked evenings, but found it more beneficial for me to grab my workouts in the morning. Yes, you will have a hard time sleeping after a workout because you're ramped up...the blood is pumping, heart is racing, endorphins flowing.

You say "they" say not to eat after 7, well that goes for 'normal' people brother. Your eating schedule should begin from the time you wake up and if that means 12 pm, then that is when your day begins. It's only natural for people on evenings to stay awake for several hours after their shift ends, it's winding down time.

Take snacks with you to work, unsalted mixed nuts, or almonds, or whatever you like. Graze .... eat ..... graze.... Don't try to conform to a normal person's eating schedule, conform the eating schedule to your schedule.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I used to work out late at night as well, seemed to be the only time I could find free time during the day, I did really well with just a protein shake, or a meal replacement bar before hitting the rack. It wasn't a 5-star meal, but it was enough to hold me over until the morning.
      "The greater a man is in power above others, the more he ought to excel them in virtue. None ought to govern who is not better than the governed."

Comment

Eat after your workout as it is one of the most important meals you will have. Like JSD said, that whole "dont eat after 7" is for normal people, and in my opinion, flawed as it is non-specific. You need the nutrition.
        Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
        Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

After I Workout, I wait 30 minutes and eat some Cottage cheese before i go to bed.The cottage cheese has some kind of protein called Casein Protein in it, and slowly digests while you sleep.

I usually workout right when i get off work,get atleast 8 hours of sleep, unless you drink alot of water then prob 9 hours because you will be going to the bathroom all night
          "Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure"~ Don Wilder

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I will try some of your tips and see how that works out for me. I wish I could workout prior to my shift, but I live 40 miles from the gym so getting a shower afterwards is tough esp since the gym showers at my location are not that clean and the station office showers are just as clean.
            Thomas - aka HUCK

Comment

Anyone ever use the body express stuff from walmart or does anyone recommend a good protein powder to have after a workout?
              Thomas - aka HUCK

Comment

I havn't but it all depends. Cheap walmart protein is the same as BSN Syntha-6 I have used or Muscle Milk. If you drink a few shakes a day, and you go through the stuff very fast I would say just get the cheap stuff at walmart. No Difference!
                Graduated Clayton Academy: Nov. 17,2009

Hired: Dec. 4, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by huck911 View Post
                  Anyone ever use the body express stuff from walmart or does anyone recommend a good protein powder to have after a workout?

I assume that you mean "Body Fortress" brand...like this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10322372

Originally posted by austratman23 View Post
                  I havn't but it all depends. Cheap walmart protein is the same as BSN Syntha-6 I have used or Muscle Milk. If you drink a few shakes a day, and you go through the stuff very fast I would say just get the cheap stuff at walmart. No Difference!
                  I have heard that this brand uses a much lower quality protein and very little whey protein isolate. (Dont ask for my source, I read it somewhere).
                  Im sure Will Brink can shed more light on this, but it MAY be worthwhile to order something better from bodybuilding.com or somewhere similar. Or, it may be just as good.
                  www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Originally posted by austratman23 View Post
                    Try workin 3rd shift and then going to the gym! Thats me. However I go into work at 630pm but I wake up around 3 pm and go to before work...Ill eat half a pbj and drink any welchs juice i can get my hands on. Post WO I eat the other half of the pbj and drink an isopure 40g protein.

Syntha-6 hands down the best tasting protein on the planet(w/milk) Vanilla Ice cream is ridiculously good. Nitro Core 24 by ON has 10 diff proteins(slow/medium/fast digesting proteins) however all of ON's proteins taste good going down but leave a weird bitter after-taste.

Comment

Sorry! Please ignore.
                      Last edited by arianna; 10-30-2009, 03:37 AM.
                      You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...you must do the thing you think you cannot do.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.

A great many people think they are thinking, when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

Comment

So working out in the wee hours of the morning then eating and going to bed, wouldn't that cause you to gain weight?
                        You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...you must do the thing you think you cannot do.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.

A great many people think they are thinking, when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

Comment

I did not read everyone's advice, but you are not sleeping well after your workouts because you have not fueled your body, plus all the endorphins flowing. If you eat, and eat well, you will probably sleep better. When it comes to working out, you have to get rid of the 1980’s way of thinking when it comes to eating habits, which is starve the body of muscle, and teach it to store body fat. Yes, the metabolism is slower in the evening for a normal person however you are an officer, your life schedule is not normal, when you train at 2am, that after 7 crap all goes out the window.

The two biggest meals of my day are breakfast and after my workout no matter what time. If your day is from say 12pm to 2am, you should get at least five meals with the main one after you workout.

My eating plan

I eat 2.5 chicken and 1.0lbs 90% lean hamburger a day.

Meal 1- .5lbs hamburger, asparagus (natural diuretic), ¼-cup brown rice, two-table spoons olive oil.

Meals 2,3,4- 2.5lbs chicken spread between them with same fixings as above.

Meal 5- Same as meal one.

*Meat never changes I always eat that much a day.

Now I change the olive oil and brown rice according to my goals, increase them for gaining, or decrease them for leaning.

My fourth meal is usually after my workout with some fast digesting crabs like oj and a banana.

Now this diet is for me, 5’10, 236lbs, with about 10-12% body fat. The reason I state this is that if you use the above eating plan you will have to adjust to your specific needs whether bigger or smaller, gaining or leaning.

* Cheat meals are when needed, for extra fuel once every two - four weeks, usually go out to eat, and eat whatever I want.

* Occasionally I will throw in some tomatoes or onions in with a meal to get variety, or eat some other fruits that are around the house, the above eating plan is the base though.

Oh, by the way I have a great wife that "Yes", cooks all this food every two days year round.
                          Last edited by _GLOCK_; 11-03-2009, 03:13 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4475 users online. 223 members and 4252 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X