300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking fr help with pullups.

In january I did 2 which was my personal best . Even when I was in really good shape (or so I thought), I could never do pullups. Mainly because I never worked at them. Now I am in a position where I have to do them. I would like to be able to do at least 15, but more would be nice. I am up to 9 or 10 but seem to be stuck. Does anyonehave any tips on how to squeak out a few more?? I have tried using a chair and doing jumping oullups once I reach failure, but they don't seem to be helping. Thanks.

Originally posted by LongCut View Post
    In january I did 2 which was my personal best . Even when I was in really good shape (or so I thought), I could never do pullups. Mainly because I never worked at them. Now I am in a position where I have to do them. I would like to be able to do at least 15, but more would be nice. I am up to 9 or 10 but seem to be stuck. Does anyonehave any tips on how to squeak out a few more?? I have tried using a chair and doing jumping oullups once I reach failure, but they don't seem to be helping. Thanks.
    have you tried playing epic music in the background or thinking of a really epic song?
    It sounds like a crock but it helps me get motivated and push out those last few pushups, pullups etc (whatever I am working on)
    Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

Try doing pyramids. Get on the bar and do one pull-up. Get off and do 10 push-ups. Then do 2 pull-ups and 15 push-ups. Then 3 and 20 etc... When you get to a point like 5 pull-ups, starting working back down..4; 3; 2 with the corresponding push ups. You can also substitute the push-ups with another exercise like bends and thrusts, or crunches. The idea is to get some work in-between sets of pull-ups.

I used to have my Marines do that when they had problems and got good results.

Have Fun With It

Tim
      "Ever consider a career in Southern Law Enforcement"

Comment

Two words: Iron Gym.

I bought one and it has exponentially increased my pull-up repititions

Comment

There is no easy way.

Do more pullups.

M-11
          “All men dream...... But not equally..
          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Negatives? also starting from the hanging position slowly pull yourself up and hold for 10 to 15 seconds then slowly extend and drop off the bar. Try doing lat pull downs, rows to strengthen your upper back.

Comment

Pull -Ups

The only way to do more pull ups is to become stronger.... Goto the local gym and start doin heavy lat pull downs where you can lock your legs under a padded bar that way you can pull more than your body weight down, which in turn will make pull ups a breeze.. Just start increasing weight above your body weight each week as you progress and soon you'll notice a big difference. Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I am going to try the pyramids for now. I have been doing pull downs at the gym. I have also been doing them with light weight and sets of 30 to 40 reps. I read that this will help with endurance and lead to more pulls. I quess I'll just keep crankin away and see where I can get.

Comment

Add bentover rows, and do them right. Keep your torso parallel to the floor throughout the entire rep - don't turn it into a half-deadlift.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Pulldowns are not going to transfer over to pullups, in the past I was doing pulldowns with well over 300lbs, couldn't do a single pull up or chin up.

Simply buy a chin up bar and set it up at home. Everytime you walk by or under it, knock out a few pullups, do wide grip, medium grip, neutral grip, even chin ups. THIS will help you in your quest for more pullups. You can do all the high rep pulldowns you want, I don't believe it will help you in your goal. It's also mental, when I tried out for Dallas PD way way back when, I told myself I'd get ten...and I did...and I couldn't get another one out. You have set the same mental block....overcome it.

Rest a couple days, give the muscles time to recover, buy the pullup bar, Iron Gym is good, and practice as previously mentioned.
                    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Google grease the groove. Follow that plan. (as others have said, get a pullup bar for the house-you will need it for this to be effective).
                      GTG took me from 12 to 20. It works.
                      www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

JSD, I consider you one of our resident experts on such matters.. what are your thoughts on making them HARDER to do? By which I mean use a weighted vest or ankle weights while doing them? If he can get to where he can bang out five to eight lightly weighted pull-ups, won't 15 standards be easier?
                        Just thinking out loud..
                        "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
                        but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaylaw View Post
                          JSD, I consider you one of our resident experts on such matters.. what are your thoughts on making them HARDER to do? By which I mean use a weighted vest or ankle weights while doing them? If he can get to where he can bang out five to eight lightly weighted pull-ups, won't 15 standards be easier?
                          Just thinking out loud..
                          I appreciate it, but I'm no expert, not by any stretch of the imagination. You would think that if he can knock out that many with additional weight attached then 15 should be easier, but then again, you'd be surprised at what a mental block can do.....if he thinks that 15 will be hard, then it will be, added weight or not. Yes, adding weight will make them harder as would slowing down the reps or for some even changing the hand position makes it harder to perform. If you've gotten to the point where you can bang em out no problem, it might be time to incorporate towel pullups...of which I can't even do one, or thick rope type pull ups. There is always something out there that makes it harder and makes you stronger.
                          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Google the "twenty pull up test".....it's what i'm doing now.

Comment

You have to do pullups to get better at pullups. No easy away around it. However, if you have access to a bar you can buy pull-up bands. They wrap around the bar and you place one of your feet into it. The band takes some of the weight off the pullup. Different bands for greater/less weight. They allow you to still get the full extension workout and gradually you will get better. You can also do a "jumping pullup" if you cannot do a pullup with a band. They are the "easiest" to start at.
                              http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4064 users online. 195 members and 3869 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X