300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench press question.

I was wondering if I should start out heavy and go lighter or vice versa when I bench press. Also I know my chest is becoming stronger, but when I do my bench presses I feel it in my arms or shoulders more than my chest. Am I doing something wrong?

Im no expert on bench press, however I have heard others say that bench works your triceps also. How is your form? Are you lifting weights that are light enough not to effect your form?

Comment

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...nch_press_cure[/QUOTE]
      read this article and watch the video....it'll change the way you bench press forever.

i don't know what kind of routine you're following, but its clear that you want to be strong........if i may, i'd like to reccomend to you to look into either ''starting strength'' by mark rippetoe or "5/3/1" by jim wendler
      Last edited by Dr. Peebody; 10-03-2009, 03:26 AM.

Comment

x2 what peebody said.

Comment

Originally posted by jpbklb View Post
          I was wondering if I should start out heavy and go lighter or vice versa when I bench press. Also I know my chest is becoming stronger, but when I do my bench presses I feel it in my arms or shoulders more than my chest. Am I doing something wrong?
          I feel the same thing after benching. My arms tire out before my chest. It's partially technique and partially the fact that my arms aren't in the condition they need to be and simply wear out too soon. A couple of things I have been doing to help work the chest better are to either do some pec flies before the bench or do some cable pull downs between sets on the bench. But pec flies really kick my butt and wear my chest out too much. If you do that, just do a few and not too terribly heavy. If I do full sets of full weight flies before the bench then the bench doesn't go so well. But between sets on the bench I've been doing some cable pull downs where I keep my arms stiff and just do pull downs by flexing my chest and pivoting at the chest.

The incline bench will really help get your chest the workout it needs after doing the bench.

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
          Dave Tate's 6 wk bench press cure
          read this article and watch the video....it'll change the way you bench press forever.
          I couldn't get your link to work for some reason so here it is again.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...nch_press_cure

Comment

My first question about your bench press is why do you even bench press?

Waste of time, IMO.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Originally posted by jpbklb View Post
              I was wondering if I should start out heavy and go lighter or vice versa when I bench press.
              I missed this question earlier. I guess you mean whether you should raise or lower the weight during an individual bench workout. Personally I go up if I change weight at all, but I rarely change weight. I know guys who made good gains by doing pyramids both up and down in weight. But I didn't get good gains going down and not the gains I wanted going up. Personally I found my max, and then did a workout based on that. I did 75% of my max for 2 weeks, 85% for 2 weeks, 95% for 2 weeks and then blew my old max out of the water and kept going. I rarely change weight during a bench workout. Occasionally towards the end of my 2 week cycles I will add 10lbs for the last set, but that's it. I do 5 or 6 sets of 5 reps at my workout weight and don't usually go up or go down.

Occasionally to change things up when my workout gets stagnant I will do a drop set and lower weight, going to exhaustion at each weight, for a few sets. But that's rare.

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post

Waste of time, IMO.
              Why make that statement if you aren't going to make an alternative suggestion and help the guy out? And what do you recommend? You answered his question with a question and offered absolutely no information to him. Why squat, or deadlift, or any other exercise? To get stronger of course.

I've made big gains in a short period of time by benching and incline benching. It has helped my overall chest development and upper body strength all around as well as helping my shape and appearance.

Comment

Waste of time, IMO.
                Its pretty much the best indicator of your total upper body strength. It should be a staple in anyones program who is interested in gaining strength.

If your triceps are burning out early it could be that your grip is to close or that you need to work them out more seperatly. Do you bench with your arms flared out or tucked in close to your body? Do you train your triceps before your chest or the day before your chest? Frequency of training? Etc. Good luck!

p.s. For strength specifically I would suggest straight sets. ie 5 sets of 5-8 reps.
                Last edited by Tacticool; 10-02-2009, 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling
                Deputy Kent Mundell
                Pierce County Sheriff
                Dec 28th.
                Gone but not forgotten...

Comment

Y'know, something I've noticed during my 29 years of weight training is that pretty every single person who says that bench pressing is a waste of time is someone who has a lousy bench himself.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                    Y'know, something I've noticed during my 29 years of weight training is that pretty every single person who says that bench pressing is a waste of time is someone who has a lousy bench himself.

LMAO! So true...

How many guys that bench big say its a waste of time?????

ZERO!
                    Deputy Kent Mundell
                    Pierce County Sheriff
                    Dec 28th.
                    Gone but not forgotten...

Comment

Originally posted by Tacticool View Post
                      Its pretty much the best indicator of your total upper body strength. It should be a staple in anyones program who is interested in gaining strength.

If your triceps are burning out early it could be that your grip is to close or that you need to work them out more seperatly. Do you bench with your arms flared out or tucked in close to your body? Do you train your triceps before your chest or the day before your chest? Frequency of training? Etc. Good luck!

p.s. For strength specifically I would suggest straight sets. ie 5 sets of 5-8 reps.
                      I disagree, an indicator of total upper body strength would be a pull up and for a pressing movement, the overhead press.... hell, even the dip. None of these are done with anything braced and as such would be more true indicators.

As far as A Teamers reply about those who naysay the bench are poor bench pressers themselves. Maybe so, maybe not, I personally don't do them, nor do I like them as at the tender age of 18 I blew my rotators out while working up in weight and hitting 275. I have always recommended an incline press to others but will always recommend dips as well and yes, dips can cause shoulder problems. Bottom line I guess what I'm saying is, the bench press is not the be all end all chest exercise. If one is genetically predisposed to having a large chest, then any pressing exercise will only help. I've seen little skinny runts bench BIG and frankly a big bench doesn't impress me, I'm way more impressed by someone who can pull 5 plates off the ground or grind out 20 reps on the squat with three plates or more. I won't down grade those who love the bench and who can push big numbers, but it ain't my thang.
                      Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I used to bench a lot. I was pretty strong...I weighed 225 and maxed out at 305. Not super but more than most. However, I could not do 1 pull-up and my all around upper body strength was lacking. I no longer do bench but I do lots of other upper body, push ups, burpies, ring dips, wall balls, pull-ups, kettle bells, etc. My upper body strength went WAY up. But it is a functional strength, allows me to pull myself over a wall taller than me, grab someone with authority. The kind of stuff that I use at work every day. Bench is a good exercise but I work with guys that have lifted heavy for a long time and needed shoulder surgery. I don't want that happening to me.

Comment

Waste of time, IMO.
                          while over head press IS the superior movement, i still wouldn't consider bench pressing a waste of time....VERY over rated by most, but as long as your whold program isn't alternate days btwn bench and curls then they do have their place
                          Last edited by Dr. Peebody; 10-03-2009, 03:31 AM.

Comment

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2009_05_01_archive.html

Check out the January blog with the articles from Bill Starr on the Press.

The true gauge of strength used to be pressing a heavy weight over your head and some still consider it so.

Everyone should be able to bench their bodyweight (and then some!), but how many on here can press their bodyweight.

Now for those of you who don't know the press isn't sitting down and lowering and raising 225+ for reps barely touching your nose!!!!!! Any tool can do that!

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                              Actually I got up to 365 in my heyday. I was being a ball buster but I think that flat bench with dumbbells is more valuable because of the range of motion.

But heck, at least we're all doing something, right? Better than most folks who are sitting on the couch

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4586 users online. 253 members and 4333 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X