X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WillBrink
    replied
    Originally posted by JenInNJ View Post
    Did you read the thread? Is that a rhetorical question?
    What is your qualifications for giving such advice and do you have a cite for your statements about insulin?

Leave a comment:

• MadMax52
    replied
    Go Here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...highlight=PRRS
    http://prrsguru.proboards.com/index.cgi?

This article and program were written by a guy named Eric Broser. This program is genious. I worked out on it for about 3 months and saw significant gains. This is a very intense workout and is not intended for "amateur" lifters.

Leave a comment:

• johnnylawman109
    Guest replied
    Didnt mean to start a big ruckus here, thanks for all the info Jen and the others, I will keep you updated on my progress.

Leave a comment:

• brn2reign
    replied
    Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
    Was that really necessary?
    My thoughts exactly.

STFU? really? Jeez

Leave a comment:

• brn2reign
    replied
    Im not here to join in on this little childs play scuffle but Jen, You did say "ONLY". JSD was simply stating that was incorrect and proceeded to explain why. And as far as the Ham comment he made, sure it could have been re-worded a bit as I can see how you took offense to it but with all insults aside, he is right once again. Food companies often use selling words like "fat free", "low fat", "low calories", "no sugar", etc to draw in the consumer. Im sure you know this already. What they also do is use harmful ingredients that the consumer is oblivious too, let alone cant pronounce, and can cause fat gain in an individual (hydrogenated oils, HFCS). I believe JSD was trying to let you know that the quality of the product is just as important, hence the mention of the ingredients.
    Last edited by brn2reign; 10-03-2009, 04:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JenInNJ
    replied
    Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
    Actually, losing weight IS a one size all fits, calories in versus calories out, and that is exactly what the OP asked for, advice on losing weight. Don't storm on here like you simply know it all, because you don't, none of us do, but you give it ALL like it's an absolute "dude." And giving advice includes correcting bad advice when it's given. I've been corrected before, big deal, I don't get my panties in a wad. I'd consider anyone who trains seriously with a goal in mind an "athlete" of sorts, too bad you don't.

Go back to your beer and your pizza and then give someone advice on how to lose weight and exercise, mmkay? buh bye powerlifter. I'd love to waste more time on you ...naaah, no I wouldn't.
    Don't put words in my mouth about your subjectivity of athletes. I never implied I knew it all. Correcting others is more implicative of that, IMHO, which I have never done. I gave advice to a person based on his situation. I provided him with a SOLUTION, not useless information to the lay person. I told him what clean meant after you threw it at him and pranced off. I spent HOURS communicating with him before you came in with your oversized red pen.

And if you want to just keep buckshotting your nutri-nazi one size fits all advice over the forum, have at it. The OP didn't say he didn't know what a calorie was, he didn't ask for a lesson from you...he said he didn't have resources to eat "perfectly" and needed "quick" foods he didn't have to prepare. I didn't pull lowfat lunchmeat out of my ***.

And I will be having some beer and pizza this weekend to celebrate 10.2 hours in the gym, thanks! W00t!

Leave a comment:

• JSD73
    replied
    Yeah, dude. Low fat deli ham IS a good quick option for someone who is currently eating Chef Boyardee and doesn't have a lot of cooking options. So get off your high horse and come visit us back in real people stratosphere. You give nutritional advice to people based on their individual circumstances--it's not a one size fits all kind of thing. This isn't a person preparing for show or someone who even WANTS to eat clean 6 meals a day, so that's irrelevant. I surmised based on HIS situation where HIS extra few lbs were coming from. But really, isn't the purpose of this to try and help someone and not try and nitpick what other people who are trying to help them are saying? Did I give him advice that won't work? No. So STFU. Based on what he's eating now, 6 clean meals would NOT put weight on him even if he was interested in eating that way.

And while I would love to hear the extenuating circumstance of when insulin spikes are desirable for the average person (not an athlete), I'm annoyed with you already. Is this your MO? Sit around and rule the fitness forum with your little tidbits of useless advice (for the masses) and when someone comes along who actually spends some time and cares, try and cut them down to size by arguing semantics? Nice.
    Actually, losing weight IS a one size all fits, calories in versus calories out, and that is exactly what the OP asked for, advice on losing weight. Don't storm on here like you simply know it all, because you don't, none of us do, but you give it ALL like it's an absolute "dude." And giving advice includes correcting bad advice when it's given. I've been corrected before, big deal, I don't get my panties in a wad. I'd consider anyone who trains seriously with a goal in mind an "athlete" of sorts, too bad you don't.

Go back to your beer and your pizza and then give someone advice on how to lose weight and exercise, mmkay? buh bye powerlifter. I'd love to waste more time on you ...naaah, no I wouldn't.

Leave a comment:

• JenInNJ
    replied
    Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
    Did you read the thread? Is that a rhetorical question?

Leave a comment:

• GrayPatriot
    replied
    No. So STFU. .

Leave a comment:

• JenInNJ
    replied
    Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
    I love it, low fat ham....it's ham, I'm curious, have you checked the ingredients for partially hydrogenated oils? You might want to do better research on what "fat free" entails in many foods.

As far as the portion of what I bolded from your post, you make an absolute statement by saying ONLY, but fat storage does not occur ONLY from insulin being spiked. There are instances when spiking insulin levels is desirable. The body stores fat when the calories being consumed are more than the calories being burned. Plain and simple! You can eat six times a day and eat nice clean foods and if you're eating more than your body can burn, it will take the excess and store it as fat. Yes Insulin plays a role in fat storage but it also plays a role in anabolism, in fact, it's the most anabolic of hormones in the body.
    Yeah, dude. Low fat deli ham IS a good quick option for someone who is currently eating Chef Boyardee and doesn't have a lot of cooking options. So get off your high horse and come visit us back in real people stratosphere. You give nutritional advice to people based on their individual circumstances--it's not a one size fits all kind of thing. This isn't a person preparing for show or someone who even WANTS to eat clean 6 meals a day, so that's irrelevant. I surmised based on HIS situation where HIS extra few lbs were coming from. But really, isn't the purpose of this to try and help someone and not try and nitpick what other people who are trying to help them are saying? Did I give him advice that won't work? No. So STFU. Based on what he's eating now, 6 clean meals would NOT put weight on him even if he was interested in eating that way.

And while I would love to hear the extenuating circumstance of when insulin spikes are desirable for the average person (not an athlete), I'm annoyed with you already. Is this your MO? Sit around and rule the fitness forum with your little tidbits of useless advice (for the masses) and when someone comes along who actually spends some time and cares, try and cut them down to size by arguing semantics? Nice.
    Last edited by JenInNJ; 10-03-2009, 08:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JSD73
    replied
    Yes, at least one of those meals carb free. Weight loss will increase if you lower your glycemic intake which means white carbs like white bread, white rice, white potatoes. So if you eliminate carbs from one meal and substitute whole grains in others, you're golden. I don't EVER eat white bread unless it's a special occasion like a cheesesteak or PB&J. Everything goes on whole wheat or whole grains. Sweet potatoes/yams are considered good clean food as is bananas. I eat a banana as one of my meals almost every day. Usually it's my pre-workout meal.

Think of it like this. The longer a food takes to digest, the better it is for weight loss because it takes the body longer to break it down. So if something is super processed, you might as well be eating pure fuel (sugar)...which is great for a pick me up (and quick let down), but BAD for weight loss. Some people argue it's actually better to eat a loaded baked potato than a plain one simply because white potatoes are evil on the blood sugar levels.

Interesting factoid-- the body goes in fat storage mode ONLY when insulin in spiked too high. Therefore, if you eat anything highly processed or high in sugar or even just a big ole meal, you're asking for weight gain. Think of keeping blood sugar levels consistent.....never letting them dip too much (hungry, tired) or shoot up too high (weight gain). 5-6 small meals are best. WHOLE foods. Foods that haven't been altered are best. Nuts, seeds, raisins. Stuff you'd pick off a tree or from the ground over chemically altered crap.

Think of it like any racing game. You know how in order to win you have to keep the gas at just the right level so you don't spin off the course when you hit a curve? Eat like that. You'll never be so hungry you grab Cheetos and veer off course

Also, pay attention to what you're drinking. If you're drinking juice, soda, sweet tea...THAT can be a huge culprit in the diet.

Boiled chicken is chicken that's been put in boiling water. Egg beaters are egg substitutes. You can find them with the eggs in the grocery store in a quart container like milk.

I spray the pan with some Pam, pour them in and it's an omelet waiting to happen. You can add fat free cheese, turkey bacon, salsa, or if you want to eat "clean" eat 'em plain with salt n pepper. I just can't do that 5 days a week without getting bored.

On my other two breakfasts I eat Jimmy Dean Lite sandwiches. They're egg whites, low fat cheese, low fat ham on a low cal english muffin. VERY processed, don't stay with me long, but sometimes I'm late for work and it's a LOT better than not eating.

You can do regular eggs in a pan, just no butter! Super clean freaks eat them raw or put them in oatmeal or protein shakes. Crazy.

I love it, low fat ham....it's ham, I'm curious, have you checked the ingredients for partially hydrogenated oils? You might want to do better research on what "fat free" entails in many foods.

As far as the portion of what I bolded from your post, you make an absolute statement by saying ONLY, but fat storage does not occur ONLY from insulin being spiked. There are instances when spiking insulin levels is desirable. The body stores fat when the calories being consumed are more than the calories being burned. Plain and simple! You can eat six times a day and eat nice clean foods and if you're eating more than your body can burn, it will take the excess and store it as fat. Yes Insulin plays a role in fat storage but it also plays a role in anabolism, in fact, it's the most anabolic of hormones in the body.

Leave a comment:

• JenInNJ
    replied
    Originally posted by The Pike View Post
    My rule of thumb for eating clean: If you can't pronounce the names of the ingredients, its probably not good for you. Try to avoid processed foods and you're well on your way to a better diet.
    Pike--

I used to use that as my rule of thumb too. Then Hagen Dasz had to make that damn all natural ice cream

-J

Leave a comment:

• The Pike
    replied
    My rule of thumb for eating clean: If you can't pronounce the names of the ingredients, its probably not good for you. Try to avoid processed foods and you're well on your way to a better diet.

Leave a comment:

• JenInNJ
    replied
    That's fine. Mayo=no cheese! Adding lettuce/tomatoes optional. Doesn't do much for overall healthy except add lycopene. Lettuce is pretty much water wafers. If you're getting it from the deli, I'd do double the meat, eat half and eat the other half two hours later. Less carbs and you'll be equally as full AND get two meals out of it.

As for the knowledge..well, women are born dieting. I just had to work harder than most!

Keep me posted on your progress. And mix it up! Remember, the secret is to trick your body into losing weight. From a biological standpoint, those 15 lbs ensure your survival. It doesn't know you live 10 mins from McDonald's If your body sees you trying to get rid of them it will rebel! So make sure you occasionally cheat.

Same thing with exercise. Even though you're doing HIIT training, which is great, if you're doing the same mileage on the same days, etc....your body just adapts. I do HIIT one day and alternate with some steady distance running, the eliptical, etc. That's what works for me. The more you can fake it out the better. It should NEVER know what to expect!

Leave a comment:

• johnnylawman109
    Guest replied
    I tend to eat alot of sandwiches with whole wheat bread, deli meat, and light mayo......is this not good or would that be ok for one meal? Should I add or delete something from that (i.e maybe add leafy lettuce or tomatoes)?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3603 users online. 247 members and 3356 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X