300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying in shape with injury

Hi everyone. I have a question, I've been asking around a lot trying to get a good idea of what options may be available to me. First the background: I'm 21, female, 6' and 190 lbs. I have lived on a working farm my whole life and have always been in good overall condition. I tend to build muscle bulk easier than most females (although as you all know, easy is a relative term). I was hired as a seasonal officer in Ocean City, and while there tore the cartilage in both knees. I have finally been given permission by the various doctors I've been to to begin regular physical training again. I'm pretty comfortable in the weight room, and haven't had too many problems around the farm. I need a way to get some more serious cardio, and I need a way to keep my legs strong without hurting my knees again or setting back the physical therapy. Any ideas or advice would be great. I'd love to be able to trail run again. Eventually.
    This life isn't fair
    It's gonna get dark
    It's gonna get cold
    You've got to be tough
    But that ain't enought
    It's all about soul

~Billy Joel "All About Soul"

The doctor says you can began physical activity again but your life style is more strenuous than the average person. Unfortunately running takes its toll on your knees so I would very very slow easy my way back in.

As much as people knock treadmills they have some give in them and are not as tough on the body as the outside terrain.

I would concentrate mainly on swimming, elliptical machines, and biking until you are fully healed or at least almost 100%.

Also, you can break a decent sweat with body weight exercises and/or with a barbell... Properly performed body squats will help build strength in your legs and help gauge how well your knees have healed.

Comment

Great advice about swimming, biking, and elliptical. I would also recommend limiting your rest time between sets to about 0-30 seconds, this builds the cardiovascular system as well. heard of circuit training or supersets or complex workouts? These are all designed to add a cardio benefit. Mainly, listen to your doctor.
      Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
      Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, it helps. I'll look up some more information about supersets and complex workouts- I'm not familiar with those terms. And I'll definitely be listening to my doctor. The last thing I want to do is damage things even more!
        This life isn't fair
        It's gonna get dark
        It's gonna get cold
        You've got to be tough
        But that ain't enought
        It's all about soul

~Billy Joel "All About Soul"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4803 users online. 288 members and 4515 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X