300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise Routine With Rheumatoid Arthritis

I am a once healthy 48 year old, who used to participate in MMA, weightlifting, and road cycling, who was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis a little over 2 years ago, and I'm just now getting this disease under control with new medication (Enbrel injections). I'm gradually able to cycle again, but anything with weights or resistance still bothers my large joints. I"m wondering if there are any others on here in my same situation, and what has worked for you physically? I know swimming is what everyone pushes, but that's all I hear for people with R/A, and I have about 80 pounds of Prednisone weight to lose. Any help is appreciated!

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
    Toby Keith

R/A is tough to deal with, but its good to hear you're getting it under control. Swimming is going to be a big one for you due to the minimal strain that occurs. My uncle was in the same situation as you at one point. I told him he should try using resistance bands for a while until weights became feasible. A little over a month later he was able to start using free weights again, but loved the results he was getting with resistance training so he stayed with that. Also, I know from personal experience with Prednisone, that increasing my water intake helped flush the water retention fairly quickly.

Good Luck !

Comment

Well with 80lbs to go, I would suggest you keep cycling and look into yoga. It's kinda hippy new age type stuff but it will help out for sure. My mother in law has RA and she swears yoga is the answer.

As much as you don't want to hear it, the pool can be your best friend too! 30 minutes of constant slow swimming a few days a week will burn the weight off in no time.

The resistance bands will also be a huge help.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6130 users online. 366 members and 5764 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X