300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about dieting and exercise.

I started running 1.5 miles four to five times a week when I first started running. After three weeks of running 1.5 miles I switched to running 3 miles five times a week. I have also been trying to diet or actually change my eating habits to the south beach diet and have lost on average 8 pounds. I have now been running religiously for seven weeks. I have not lost anymore weight since week three. I am really confused on why this has occurred. I am female, 5'2 and 145 pounds. I have been athletic all my life and never overweight. I am looking to lose about ten to fifteen more pounds just to tone up and just don't know how. I have been doing all of this for the academy starting in about 1 1/2 months. Is there any advice you could give?
    "Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Joshua 1:9

Yes, lift weights. Ones that push yourself to where you are safely struggling with the weight about the 10-20 repetition range. Limit your rest time between 20-60 seconds between sets and do full body workouts in your routine. If you are not familiar with weight training then invest some time at your local library. Also, dont do the same thing over and over again. Switch up your running pattern. Try High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)(you can google that)....and try running up hill. Just switch it up.

Im not a fan of south beach because they are heavy on the carbs and sodium. my 2 cents would be to limit your carb intake and eat more fats and protein.

Heres a good book:
    Good calories, Bad calories- Gary Taubes

Good luck!
    Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
    Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

Yes I have been lifting as well. Not as much as I would like. I guess I need to hit the gym 2-3 times a week along with running, sit-ups and push-ups. I am not sure if you are thinking about the right diet because the south beach diet is all about protein. Meats (non red meats) like fish, nuts, and all the eggs you can eat. Then when you get in the different phases you add in the whole wheat carbs, nothing to intense though. I greatly appreciate your input, I will try lifting more along with sprint work as well to see if I can tell any difference. Thanks again.
      "Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Comment

Why? Because cardio is not the best exercise for fat loss and jogging is cardio.

If your diet is in line, and I'm assuming you are on a dayshift schedule, work the no carbs after 6 or 7 rule into your diet. You need to focus on HIIT training. Look up Alwyn Cosgrove for ideas on that type of training, look up barbell or dumbbell complexes...those types of exercises will drive your metabolism sky high.

Bottom line is, you probably need to drop about 200 calories from your diet and see what that does and if you choose not to, don't worry about endurance exercise such as jogging, focus on the HIIT to enjoy extreme fat loss. Diet and HIIT are extremely effective.
        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

^^^This is it. What you need to do is right here.

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
            Bottom line is, you probably need to drop about 200 calories from your diet and see what that does and if you choose not to, don't worry about endurance exercise such as jogging, focus on the HIIT to enjoy extreme fat loss. Diet and HIIT are extremely effective.
            Good info.

Comment

Thank you for your input everyone! This really helps!!! I look forward to changing it up a little bit!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3065 users online. 147 members and 2918 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X