300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparation

As far as preparation, within the subject of Health and Fitness, I'm sure the subject has been beaten to death. Like most LEO's I kicked the major vices decades ago and I do what I can to stay active and alert. In any training we do the idea is to be ready for a problem before it happens therefore increasing chances for survival.
    (End lecture, begin story)
    Well, life unexpectedly threw me a bit of a curve last week and it's time to go from preparation to survival mode. I went to the doctor with a headache in the morning and ended up having 3 crainial procedures over the next 3 days. In addition to a couple drains and tubes, one of the procedures was to remove a good sized tumor from the surface of my brain and it turned out to be the Big C. No warning either.
    Yeah.
    Edit: The tumor is a hemongioblastoma and benign. Being somewhat rare, UCLA took their time with the final pathology results.
    Like any war it will be won one battle at a time. Right now the score is 3 to 1 in my favor. The tumor was located in the same area of the brain that controls balance and coordination in most right-handed people. It was a welcomed feeling to be able to walk across the room and even pass a couple self-administered FST's after a day or so of recovery.
    I'm know I'm far from being cured but I feel great. Friday I had my wife drive me to our quarterly firearms quals so I could see if the concussions from a firing line of M14 rifles presented a problem. Nope, no odd feelings or twinges. Overall, prognosis is good and I'm confident I have the best chances possible to survive.
    I bring this up to a group of virtual strangers in case it might get one person's attention; and cause them to consider that these things can happen to anyone. The mental and physical preparation for such an event is a life and death proposition.
    Last edited by 417Lt; 10-08-2009, 11:50 AM. Reason: good news added in OP

Hope everything works out for the best brother...
    "I would rather live one day as a Lion, than a thousand years as a Sheep."

Comment

Good to see you are winning the fight. My wife has lost a sister to cancer and her brother is losing a battle against leukemia.

Stay positive and there are a couple of complete stranger on here who are routing for you.

Comment

Glad your surgery went well and your self-administered neuro exams went well! Must be funny to see for staff to see you walking heel to toe to the head.

Comment

praying for you..keep it up boss. Usually don't hear someone so positive after such a life altering event.
          Graduated Clayton Academy: Nov. 17,2009

Hired: Dec. 4, 2009

Comment

Glad you remain positive and optomistic. Your glass is definitely half full. Wish you a speedy recovery.
            Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
            Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

Good Luck. We will all be praying for you

Comment

Sounds like you're kickin' *** and you're not gonna stop anytime soon. You don't look for pity, and you don't give up. I can't describe how much I admire that. Good luck!
                "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words and prayers everyone- It seems that they worked. I got a call from the neurosurgeon, expecting to hear about the follow-up treatment schedule. Instead, he told me that the final tumor analysis and pathology was completed at the UCLA Med Center and it came back cancer free.
                  Phew!
                  I think I'll dwell on the good news and try not to think about the initial mis-information. Talk about dodging a bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by 417Lt View Post
                    Thanks for the kind words and prayers everyone- It seems that they worked. I got a call from the neurosurgeon, expecting to hear about the follow-up treatment schedule. Instead, he told me that the final tumor analysis and pathology was completed at the UCLA Med Center and it came back cancer free.
                    Phew!
                    I think I'll dwell on the good news and try not to think about the initial mis-information. Talk about dodging a bullet.
                    That is fabulous news! Now you are free to dodge real bullets once again, LT.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2768 users online. 151 members and 2617 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X