300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutrition Questions

I'm currently 5,4 173 lbs, 21% bodyfat or around 19% age 22 i workout 4 days a week, just started weight training a couple of months ago.

My question is Nutrition,

Ive read all kinds of articles on Bodybuilding and so and so, but i am still confused on the whole Diet Idea,1 body builder told me i need to cut carbs out alot, and put more Fats and Protein in

right now my meals consist of

meal 1-Oatmeal,Orange juice

meal 2-Ham and Turkey sandwich on Wheat bread with no Fructose corn syrup, 1 water or more.Green beans

meal 3 Tuna, Cup of Fruits, Water,

meal 4-Baked potato, Grilled chicken no bread. water

meal 5 Tuna, water,

meal 6 blueberry Yogurt,

I also add protein shakes in, when i have the money to buy them,that adds about 60 grams protein

right now, i'm in pretty good shape except my abs are covered,

What shall i change in my diets,should I add more? whats Typical for short guys who Weight lift?

What are some of your ideas? Tips? advice?

My goals are to gain 17 inch forearms, maybe a 40 inch chest,

Photo right now

http://img195.imageshack.us/i/newfl.jpg/

Any help is greatly Appreciated

-Tim
    Last edited by KentuckyCO; 09-10-2009, 12:57 PM. Reason: re edit
    "Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure"~ Don Wilder

Tim, you either want to lose bodyfat or get bigger. You're a small guy judging by your pic and how do you know your bf is 21 percent? I just don't see it on you, in fact, you look more ectomorphic than anything.

Very few people in this world have legitimate 17 inch forearms, maybe you meant arms as a whole, as in upper arms.

Your diet is fair, but if you are looking to lose weight, it comes down to burning more calories than you are putting in. If you are trying to gain muscular size, then you need to eat eat eat and lift heavy (heavy for you), lift the basics, and rest.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Tim,
      as JSD stated, a good diet revolves around your goals. If the big arms and big chest are your goals, you'll have to start bulking and building muscle. That process includes eating TONS of calories, and gaining lots of muscle. You will not be "ripped". Once you're at an ideal weight, and measurments, you can change your diet to shed the remaining fat and get six pack, etc.

Originally posted by KentuckyCO View Post
      right now my meals consist of

meal 1-Oatmeal,Orange juice

meal 2-Ham and Turkey sandwich on Wheat bread with no Fructose corn syrup, 1 water or more.Green beans

meal 3 Tuna, Cup of Fruits, Water,

meal 4-Baked potato, Grilled chicken no bread. water

meal 5 Tuna, water,

meal 6 blueberry Yogurt,

I also add protein shakes in, when i have the money to buy them,that adds about 60 grams protein

Any help is greatly Appreciated

-Tim
      Drink milk instead of OJ. Eat lots more eggs (with the yoke). If you're eating ham and turkey deli meat or slices, examine the nutrition information of what you're eating. Try stacking chicken tenderloin or whole turkey breasts on there. Have pbj sandwiches HEAVY on the pb, light on the J. "Cup of fruits" sounds like one of those things that came with gradeschool lunch that's all sugar. Eat an apple and banana. Use sweet potatos instead of regular (or replace that, I don't like sweet potatoes). Check the info on that blueberry yogurt too. Yogurt is good for you, and blueberries are good for you, but sometimes when you get packaged food it will have a lot of garbage in it.

Keep drinking water, but don't think of it as part of a meal. Drink it consitantly all day long so you're peeing close-to-clear.

If you're trying to get some protein shakes, buy buckets of powder protein to mix into your drinks. It's a lot cheaper than buying lots of little brady quinn shakes.

Comment

21% might be kind of high..have you actually been measured? And its almost winter whos worried bout abs lol? Id bulk during the winter, wait till march or so to try and cut unwanted fat. You said some bodybuilder told you to cut carbs and have high protein and fats. Sounds like a keto diet, or a pre contest diet. They can be good for cutting for a show but I feel like crap when I dont have carbs. Heres my sample diet
        MEAL 1- 2 whole eggs, 6 egg whites, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 banana
        MEAL 2- 2 scoops whey, 1/4 cup almonds
        MEAL 3- Chicken breast, and 1 cup brown rice or sweet potato, brocoli
        PRE WORKOUT- natural p.b. sandwhich
        POST WORKOUT- 2 scoops whey, and some type of carbs
        MEAL 4-chicken breast, or lean red meat, brown rice sweet potato, brocolli
        MEAL 5- 1 tablespoon natty p.b. 1 scoop of whey

Just a sample bulk diet maybe not the best, but it works for me

I drink a gallon and half of water a day, and 2-3 cups of coffee, skim milk with my shakes

I know supplements can be expensive, but I save a lot of money by eating healthy, and not eating out. My grocery list consist of milk, eggs, chicken, rice, bread, veggies and p.b. so the money I save by not buying a buch of crap and fast food can go towards whey, creatine, vitamins, etc. Order supplements offline to save money, gnc=ripoff

Im also a smaller guy( 5'8 175-190 depending on time of year) and a diet like I posted works for me when bulking. Whats your workout look like?
        Last edited by usmc13; 09-11-2009, 01:10 AM.

Comment

I just left the gym and grabbed me 8 white castles for the ride home. Now I am getting ready to go to bed. :-0
          We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by 300Busa View Post
            I just left the gym and grabbed me 8 white castles for the ride home. Now I am getting ready to go to bed. :-0
            Strong bulking I used to get 3 plain double cheese burgers from Mcdonalds after a killer workout to try and gain weight. Now just thinking about that I gain 5 pounds lol.

Comment

Yeah

My workout consist of small things so far, as just starting out

Monday

30 minute cardio

Bench press,-3 times-8 reps

Squat3 times-6 reps

Deadlift3 times 6 reps

Bent over row,3 times 6-10 reps

Military press-3 times 6 reps

Preacher curls-3 10 reps

Dumbbell curls-3 10 reps

I might a few more stuff into that workout

Tuesday-30 minute cardio,Abs,

and i'll post the rest of it tommorow, I get all my workouts from websites really though, or e-books

I get most of my workouts from Bodybuilder websites, i'm still currently learning all of the exercises weight lifting,forms etc right now

Comment

Originally posted by usmc13 View Post
                Strong bulking I used to get 3 plain double cheese burgers from Mcdonalds after a killer workout to try and gain weight. Now just thinking about that I gain 5 pounds lol.
                Yep, when I was younger: 4x quarter pounders w/cheese, large fries, large shake all for $4.85. I still remember that, and had trouble keeping my weight UP.

25 years later can't eat like that but am in better, shape, too. Still use that diet example in my CPR classes - get lots of stares and 'jaw dropping' - then get to tell them that folks like that don't have to be obese or have heart risks, discuss my blood work numbers (although I am borderline high in trigs again - everything else is in normal range or on the very good side).

For the O.P.: think about getting a complete metabolic workup done with your blood. You WILL get some helpful information to go on that will help steer your diet in the right direction. Do this at least every few years as your metabolism does change with age. I get similar results now with 3200-3500 Kcal/day than I used to with 5-6Kcal/day - but I was a lot younger then.

And the hydration component cannot be ignored, either. Beyond obvious, it is also linked to mental fitness, blood pressure, and recovery from workouts.

Also, check out Will Brink's http://www.brinkzone.com/ (he might even chime in on this thread) as he is one of the guys who specializes in fitness/diet stuff for LEOs.

Good luck with your training.
                The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

allright cool

I'm also trying Protein drinks with Egg whites added for more Protein

Comment

Ok, there's probably barely 4 grams of protein in an egg white, I have to ask how many grams of protein per serving in your shake? If you're getting 30-50 grams per serving, there is no need to add an egg white.
                    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Well this Protein shake i was trying, you get about 60 grams

Comment

Choking down a 60g protein shake is good enough. Don't add anything that makes it more difficult.

My new favorite is Milk, Peanut Butter, Ice, Chocolate Powder, and some Chocolate Chip Mint Meltaway ice cream. I like to add flax seed too, but with too much it gets pretty grainy.

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
                          Choking down a 60g protein shake is good enough. Don't add anything that makes it more difficult.

My new favorite is Milk, Peanut Butter, Ice, Chocolate Powder, and some Chocolate Chip Mint Meltaway ice cream. I like to add flax seed too, but with too much it gets pretty grainy.
                          whole flax seed? or ground up? if they're whole you arent digesting them

Comment

well, i ran my PT test yesterday for C.E.R.T Team Mentor program.I Did very well I asked about bulking up more, they told me I would have to wait unti'll after CE.R.T Basic because it would hendor my ability,Im still gonna lift weights

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
                              whole flax seed? or ground up? if they're whole you arent digesting them
                              Ground.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6291 users online. 334 members and 5957 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X