300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique My Workout

Here is my current workout. I try to do this every other day. Please help me to improve my workout for best possible results. Thanks.

Calisthenics
    • 3 sets of 30 push-ups
    • 3 sets of 35 sit-ups

(I alternate between both exercises each set)

Arm Curls
    • 12 reps 40 lbs.
    • 9 reps 60 lbs.
    • 6 reps 80 lbs.

(I don't know what it's call but I also do the reverse style of this exercise. It's the exact same as the arm curls but your hands are overhand instead of underhand.)

Once again, I'm not sure what it's called but I take the lateral pull down bar and hold it in a should width grip and pull t down as far as possible and then bring it back to about my nose, all of this while standing.
    • 12 reps 20 lbs.
    • 9 reps 40 lbs.
    • 6 reps 55 lbs.

You guessed it, I have no idea what this is called either. I basically do what I just described except I stand back farther and instead of being real close to the bar I stand back and pull down working my shoulders more. My arms are fully extended forward and straight.
    • 12 reps 20 lbs.
    • 9 reps 30 lbs.
    • 6 reps 35 lbs.

Bench presses (Just started doing these weight is extremely low)
    • 12 reps 20 lbs.
    • 9 reps 40 lbs.
    • 6 reps 45 lbs.

Sitting Lateral Pull Downs
    • 12 reps 40 lbs.
    • 9 reps 80 lbs.
    • 6 reps 85 lbs.

Treadmill Run
    • 5 minutes warm up at 3.2 speed for .25 miles
    • About 5 minutes run at 6.5 speed for .5 miles
    • 5 minutes cool down at 3.2 speed for .25 miles

Tell me what you think I should do differently to get in a better workout. Also, if you have any idea of what the exercises I described are called, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Well what are your goals? If it is increasing strength, anything you do right now will probably work because it seems like you are just starting to lift....

I would keep the sit ups and pushups...but do those on a day that you don't lift....

Keep bench press and lat pull down....I would scratch everything else....add more multi-joint lifts and some lower body lifts like squats....

if you are going a mile on a treadmill you don't need a warm up and cool down in which the total combined time is double that of what you are running....I would just run a constant mile and stretch before and after and i'm sure you'll be fine....you'll be running double the distance but saving yourself 5 minutes.....

Comment

You need to list your goals first: Weight loss, gaining size, gaining strength, prepping for an academy, etc...

Regardless of what your goals are your workout sucks major *** on any level. Not even sure what the hell it is or where you came up with it. Don't feel bad I lifted in a gym for 7yrs before I even started to get a clue and 22yrs later I am still learning...

Any workout must include Squats, deadlifts, Bench, and some form of shoulder press (military, olympic press)

Like I stated you need to state what your goals are but if you are not putting a bar across your back, pulling heavy weight off the floor and lifting heavy weight overhead you are wasting your time...

Don't worry about curls and reverse curls; especially for a beginner. You will get plenty big arms doing compound lifts.

Comment

I'd like to lose some weight. I'm not huge but I've got some to lose. I want to get some muscle and get toned.

Yeah I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm glad I posted here so I don't waste my time with overlapping exercises or pointless ones...

So basically keep doing push-ups and sit-ups, lateral pull down, start doing some squats and bench presses, don't need to warm up or cool down for my run just stretch and go for at least a mile.

What is a compound lift? And what's a good weight to start out with for deadlifts, squats, and shoulder presses?

Keep it coming guys, I really appreciate the input because I have no idea what I'm doing as stated.

Comment

double post
          Last edited by Dr. Peebody; 09-07-2009, 03:24 PM. Reason: double

Comment

What is a compound lift? And what's a good weight to start out with for deadlifts, squats, and shoulder presses?
            start squatting, deadlifting, really ANY barbell exercise w JUST THE BAR. keep increasing weight until it becomes somewhat difficult and go from there.

you'll see it recommended a lot here and many other places, but go on http://www.aasgaardco.com/ and pick up a copy of starting strength by mark rippetoe. its a simple program, and will teach you to properly squat, deadlift etc.

starting strength is one of those things that people speak of when talking about things they wished they had known about 10yrs ago.

you can get the gist of the program here, but you really need the book.
            http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Protagonist View Post
              I'd like to lose some weight. I'm not huge but I've got some to lose. I want to get some muscle and get toned.

Yeah I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm glad I posted here so I don't waste my time with overlapping exercises or pointless ones...

So basically keep doing push-ups and sit-ups, lateral pull down, start doing some squats and bench presses, don't need to warm up or cool down for my run just stretch and go for at least a mile.

Keep it coming guys, I really appreciate the input because I have no idea what I'm doing as stated.
              It looks like you need more areobic exercise in there too. A treadmill workout that's less than a mile long in running isn't doing squat for you. If you can do it, run outside. Try the couch to 5K program. Google it.
              "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

Stop doing Lat Pulldowns as well. Start doing Pull-ups. If you can't do any pull-ups, just hang with your chin above the bar and come down very slowly.

You need to do a lot of reading and researching on your own. That way you understand what/why people are recommending certain things.

rosstraining.com is a great resource. Ross' book Infinite Intensity is my personal favorite.

Comment

Here is what I do:

Monday: Flat bench press, incline bench press, butterflies, dumbell press (flat), chest press machine.

Tuesday: Straight bar curls, dumbell curls, tricep extensions, skull crushers, tricep presses (flat bench), tricep push downs, preacher curls.

Wednesday: Leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, Sit ups with a medicine ball on a decline bench, back extensions.

Thursday: I repeat Monday's workout, but take it easier with the amount of weight.

Friday: REST

Saturday: Shoulder press, pull-ups, dips, shrugs with straight bar, lat pull-downs, 1 mile jog and stretch.

Sunday: Rest

NOTE: I run 2 miles after my workout Mon-Thurs. I also do other small exercises to fill in time or if I am just feeling good (ie. shoulder shrugs, dead lifts, lat pull-downs, squats).

Supplements: I take N.O. Xplode pre-workout. I take Muscle Milk post workout. I take testosterone pills (T-bombII) every other month.

This all works for me, but everyone is different. It takes dedication to get any results. I didn't notice any major gains for the first couple of months. Good luck!

I am addicted to the gym. I go at all hours of the day or night when I get bored. It's not for everyone.
                  We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by 300Busa View Post
                    Here is what I do:

Monday: Flat bench press, incline bench press, butterflies, dumbell press (flat), chest press machine.

Tuesday: Straight bar curls, dumbell curls, tricep extensions, skull crushers, tricep presses (flat bench), tricep push downs, preacher curls.

Wednesday: Leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, Sit ups with a medicine ball on a decline bench, back extensions.

Thursday: I repeat Monday's workout, but take it easier with the amount of weight.

Friday: REST

Saturday: Shoulder press, pull-ups, dips, shrugs with straight bar, lat pull-downs, 1 mile jog and stretch.

Sunday: Rest

NOTE: I run 2 miles after my workout Mon-Thurs. I also do other small exercises to fill in time or if I am just feeling good (ie. shoulder shrugs, dead lifts, lat pull-downs, squats).

Supplements: I take N.O. Xplode pre-workout. I take Muscle Milk post workout. I take testosterone pills (T-bombII) every other month.

This all works for me, but everyone is different. It takes dedication to get any results. I didn't notice any major gains for the first couple of months. Good luck!

I am addicted to the gym. I go at all hours of the day or night when I get bored. It's not for everyone.
                    you might want to check out starting strength also

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
                      you might want to check out starting strength also
                      his starting strength or are you saying that I don't have any strength training in my workout? It shouldn't matter how strong he is now as long as he is doing his best for each and every lift he will improve. I would suggest for him to get a gym buddy to workout with if he really wants to push himself.
                      We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

First off, figure out what you are doing. Learn the names of exercises and learn what muscles are involved in each of those lifts. If you don't know what you are doing, then you shouldn't be doing it until you know the movement and how to properly perform them.

When you've done your research, either on the net or by purchasing a book such as Arnold's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, then come back here and ask for some help ...

It's great everyone gave you exercises, but by your own admittance, you know nothing...go learn, then return.
                        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Here is my current pic.... Im thinking about cutting up...
                          Deputy Kent Mundell
                          Pierce County Sheriff
                          Dec 28th.
                          Gone but not forgotten...

Comment

Originally posted by Tacticool View Post
                            Here is my current pic.... Im thinking about cutting up...
                            Dude...you don't need to do anything, you're plenty intimidating!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxer4 View Post
                              Dude...you don't need to do anything, you're plenty intimidating!

Thanks man..... You should have seen me before this! I used to be waaaaay bigger and more intimidating!

Deputy Kent Mundell
                              Pierce County Sheriff
                              Dec 28th.
                              Gone but not forgotten...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5322 users online. 271 members and 5051 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X