300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Hate This!

Grrrrrrr... Ok I cannot keep myself on some sort of rutine. I was doing ok for about 4 months with the workout thing then it all went KaPlUiY!
    I have no Idea what I am doing with the whole diet thing.

arg! OK I need help people.

Please tell me what I need to do.

I am a 28 y/o Male, 6' 10'', 315 pounds

I just need an easy diet and workout, make it too complicated and I am bound to get distracted.

any advice???

The above comments reflect the personal and unofficial opinions of the poster; and in no way should be taken to indicate any opinion or policy of any government agency.

First off, DAMN YOUSE A BIG MOFO........

Your post lacks focus....what is it you are attempting to do? Lose weight, add muscle, gain weight?
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Set small goals. Like in three months I want to drop 8lbs or bench 300lbs or run x distance in x amount of time.

If motivation is your problem then try joining a class like crossfit, Olympic lifting, or some other sort of group class.

For an easy diet just watch what you eat and use common sense. 5- 6 small meals a day, protein, carbs, fats. No fried food or processed foods. Lots of water and a multivitamin.
      Waiting for "The Date"

Comment

JSD,
        lol yes yes I am.
        I want to drop some fat, put on some muscle and get my running down better.

Its really hard being this big. Im not really that fat, Im built large. not one of the lankey tall guys. But I want to drop at least 1-2 pant sizes, and start regaining my lung power back from being a smoker for 12 years. just quit and am looking forward to breathing again.

The above comments reflect the personal and unofficial opinions of the poster; and in no way should be taken to indicate any opinion or policy of any government agency.

Comment

What are you doing now and what are you eating now? This will help us tailor it to your needs.
          Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
          Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

High Intensity Interval Training for starters, stationary bike or stair/hill runs.

GPP (General Physical Preparedness) work as well.

Devote some time to the basic barbell or DB exercises....I would say squats, but, you are tall and they are normally difficult for those of your height as far as form and getting enough depth. Rack Deadlifts if you have accessif not, Romanian Deadlifts, Bent Over Rows, Overhead Press, Dips or Incline Press or Decline Push Ups, Hang Cleans....

I'll second brn2reigns questions as well.
            Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Fitness-wise ditto what JSD said. I'm 6'5 and struggle with squats, so I imagine you might have a hard time. The other day I was talking to a buddy who's a D1 football player and he recommended front squats for us tall folks. I might give it a try.

Also, like others said, post your diet and we can critique it instead of going from scratch.

Comment

ok

Breakfast I have a banana and some yogurt. sometimes a bowl of Raisin bran and banana

Lunch I have started eating Spinach salad with almonds and Grilled chicken. I use a vinaigrette or Italian dressing.

Dinner whatever I got on hand.. but always in reasonable portions.

sometimes I eat some trail mix threw out the day as a snack

Comment

6'10 315lbs and that's all your eating? I know it may sound crazy when you're trying to lose weight, but you need to eat more volume and freequency. (I know, I know, cop schedule, I get it...it's tough) When you eat 3 tiny meals like that a day, especially with your stature, your metabolism slows waaaaaaaaay down. Your body gets so little fuel that's it's saving your fat reserves for energy. When you start eating you ideal amount of calories, along with working out, and plenty of water, your metabolism will go way up and you will start burning more fat.

The easiest program I know is what I'm on right now called starting strength by mark rippetoe. It's squats, deadlifts, bench, press, and cleans. Only 30 -45 reps plus warmup, 3x a week. It takes me about 30 minutes to get my workout done. On your off days if you're trying to shed some weight and work on cardiovascular fitness do HIIT (google it).

Bananas, yogurt, chicken, almonds, and spinach, you're on the right track. East some eggs, and get some more protein. String cheese and a handful of almonds is a great snack for your squad car. Remember, if you're working out hard, you should up your calories from the recommended 2k, or 2.5k a day. I'm 6'5, 205, eat 4-5k calories a day, cut out cardio to try to bulk up, and am having a VERY hard time gaining weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
                    6'10 315lbs and that's all your eating? I know it may sound crazy when you're trying to lose weight, but you need to eat more volume and freequency. (I know, I know, cop schedule, I get it...it's tough) When you eat 3 tiny meals like that a day, especially with your stature, your metabolism slows waaaaaaaaay down. Your body gets so little fuel that's it's saving your fat reserves for energy. When you start eating you ideal amount of calories, along with working out, and plenty of water, your metabolism will go way up and you will start burning more fat.
                    Definately right on the money. The amount of food your eating is WAY too low to sustain you. As a result, the body shuts down the metabolism cycle and packs on what food it gets as fat stores. Your body is working in starvation mode right now. You need to convince your brain that theres not a famine going on.

Best plan is to eat 5-6 meals a day with a target of (for you) about 350-400 calories per meal. Space them out about every 3 hours. Before long, your metabolism will kick back in and the weight will start to come off.

As far as what to eat, stick with high volume, low calorie food. Veggies, whole grains, lean meats, etc. Those kind of foods will fill you up faster and keep you from being hungry longer.
                    \

Comment

Originally posted by TXLawdog77 View Post

any advice???
                      First, read my article The Big Picture of Permanent Weight Loss to get your foundation of knowledge

Second, try something like Body For Life. BFL is an effective easy to follow program that can lead to healthy fat loss. It's not the most advanced program per se, and it plugs his supplements a bit too much for some, but it's an effective healthy safe program with generally good foundation.

Or, thers to consider, are Burn The Fat Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto and my Fat Loss Revealed programs. The latter two are 'net based.
                      Last edited by WillBrink; 09-03-2009, 07:41 AM.
                      - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

The easiest program I know is what I'm on right now called starting strength by mark rippetoe. It's squats, deadlifts, bench, press, and cleans. Only 30 -45 reps plus warmup, 3x a week. It takes me about 30 minutes to get my workout done. On your off days if you're trying to shed some weight and work on cardiovascular fitness do HIIT (google it).

Bananas, yogurt, chicken, almonds, and spinach, you're on the right track. East some eggs, and get some more protein. String cheese and a handful of almonds is a great snack for your squad car. Remember, if you're working out hard, you should up your calories from the recommended 2k, or 2.5k a day. I'm 6'5, 205, eat 4-5k calories a day, cut out cardio to try to bulk up, and am having a VERY hard time gaining weight.

if your doing starting strength, you're NOT supposed to be doing cardio on off days.

how long have you been on the program that you can finish in 30min? how long are your rest periods? if you're just starting out on it, i could see being done in under an hour but as weights go up you'll need to extend your rests

Comment

COngrats on the quiting smoking. Ive attemptedf it myself. Im overweight myself, bad knees, and smoked for awhile. When I passed the ILL test it was because of endurance, many years of basketball on he courts, which didnt help my knees, . You have to know if you want it or not.

Good Luck and try eating only 1 cow a day!
                          Take Care

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
                            if your doing starting strength, you're NOT supposed to be doing cardio on off days.

how long have you been on the program that you can finish in 30min? how long are your rest periods? if you're just starting out on it, i could see being done in under an hour but as weights go up you'll need to extend your rests
                            I'm aware of the cardio issue, but I'm not in it to lose weight like he is.

I've been on the program for about 2 months and you're right, it is starting to take me longer. When I started I was only resting about 45 seconds to a minute between sets. Now it's stretching to 1:30 to 2:00. Especially with deadlifts, if I'm really tired that day I just want to lay on the floor and die between sets. It's also taking me longer because I'm throwing a lot more weights on the bar. It sounds goofy but loading and unloading all that extra weight adds up to 5 or 10 minutes.

I'm also the only person at my gym that actually lifts weights when I'm there at 0630 in the morning, so there is no waiting for racks or bars. I can transition very quickly.

I'll let you when I start up again, but I tore up my knee playing softball and I can't bend it right now, so I won't be doing many of my favorite lifts.

Comment

I'm aware of the cardio issue, but I'm not in it to lose weight like he is.

I've been on the program for about 2 months and you're right, it is starting to take me longer. When I started I was only resting about 45 seconds to a minute between sets. Now it's stretching to 1:30 to 2:00. Especially with deadlifts, if I'm really tired that day I just want to lay on the floor and die between sets. It's also taking me longer because I'm throwing a lot more weights on the bar. It sounds goofy but loading and unloading all that extra weight adds up to 5 or 10 minutes.

I'm also the only person at my gym that actually lifts weights when I'm there at 0630 in the morning, so there is no waiting for racks or bars. I can transition very quickly.

I'll let you when I start up again, but I tore up my knee playing softball and I can't bend it right now, so I won't be doing many of my favorite lifts.

damn....sorry to hear about the knee. injuries are the biggest enemy...at least you didnt get it lifting, that tends to scare people off.

you obviously know how the program is supposed to run.... a lot of people just get a gist of it off the internet and start running it. but i'm thinking you actually read the book. by my 8th week i was needing 5+ minutes btwn squat sets.

i did the program for about 10 wks w/ outstanding results, and plan on getting back on it in november.

whatve your gains been like?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2098 users online. 120 members and 1978 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X