Clear All

• Afraid of statins

Good afternoon, folks.

Just had my five-year bloodwork done.

HDL - 53
    LDL - 96
    TSC - 188
    Triglycerides - 199

I'm 6'0" and 190, waist is 32 in my mid-forties. The numbers are not substantially different from last time except the trigs went up from the 140's.

O.K. to good numbers except the Trigs, which is at the top end of "borderline high". I eat enough red meat that the beef council should send me both Christmas & birthday cards, and probably too much sugar to boot. I don't know a thing about statins and such but am hoping that I can massage my numbers with some minor changes in diet. Bear in mind that my diet & exercise are fairly consistent & healthy (I'm in better-than-average shape according to the two PT tests I do each year) and there is a small amount of hereditary influence going on. Other than the red meat & sugar, my other influencing factors (per AHA) are minimal or non-existent.

Just looking for some ammo for when I go see the doc in three weeks in case he wants to talk pills instead of lifestyle changes. He is brand new to me, replacing my previous doc. Not looking for guidance on what to do other than some ammo against pills and for lifestyle change.

Thanks in advance!
    The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Cholesterol management (Web MD)

Lipitor is a member of a class of cholesterol-lowering drugs called statins. The statins include lovastatin (brand name: Mevacor), simvastatin (Zocor), pravastatin (Pravachol), fluvastatin (Lescol), atorvastatin (Lipitor), and cerivastatin (Baycol) (Baycol was withdrawn from the market in August 2001). Statin drugs are known to cause muscle pains and inflammation around the muscle cells (myositis). It should also be noted that the risk of muscle injury is greater when a statin is combined with other drugs that also cause muscle damage by themselves. For example, when lovastatin (Mevacor) is used alone to lower cholesterol, muscle damage occurs on the average in one person out of about every 500. However, if lovastatin (Mevacor) is used in combination with other drugs such as niacin, gemfibrozil (Lopid), or fenofibrate (Tricor) to further reduce cholesterol levels, the risk of muscle injury skyrockets to one person out of every 20 to 100 who receive the combination. The risk of muscle damage is thus multiplied five- to 25-fold by using a combination of a statin and another cholesterol-lowering drug rather than by just using statin alone.
    source:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=16431

I have refused statins because I already have a chronic muscle pain condition so that if I did get this "side effect" I would never know as it has the same symptoms. Given that it's deadly, I don't think it's worth the risk.

For more info, do a quick google on <statins muscle>.
    Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
    Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Here are my results from last October. I used to be 329lbs and ate everything in site. I'm now 178lbs, 5'11" I CrossFit and follow the Paleo Diet. The numbers below are after a year on the Paleo diet. Prior to this my cholesterol was above 300 and my tryglycerides were in the 300 range as well. Change your lifestyle, dont take pills.

Here are my test result numbers:

Cholesterol: 111
      Triglycerides: 42
      HDL: 53
      Cholest/HDL Ratio: 2.09
      LDL: 50

Other Numbers:
      Glucose, Fasting: 69
      BUN: 16
      Creatinine: 0.80
      Calcium: 9.7
      Total Protein: 7.9
      Albumin: 4.8
      Total Bilirubin: 0.8
      Alkaline Phosphatase: 86
      AST (SGOT): 28
      ALT (SGPT): 47
      Sodium: 141
      Potassium: 4.5
      Chloride: 103
      CO2: 26
      eGFR Rate: >59

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Your numbers are too low for statins and I wouldn't recommend them anyways. You wanna talk cholesterol and triglycerides? Shoot, a while back, not too far back, my cholesterol was over 500, my triglycerides were over 800, which explains why I had a lovely bout of pancreatitis (if you've never had this, don't get it....it's excruciating) and my HDL was at one point 5then maybe 11.

Now I have a hereditary issue with cholesterol, no medication has helped my mom and hers stays around 300....but her HDL levels are good. I've managed to get the cholesterol down to the 3's but HDL as far as I know is still way too low..LDL is too high and tris are in the 3's as well.

for your issue, I'd look into fish oils and maybe CLA and GLA.

if you really want to see what type of effects statins can have on you, take red rice yeast at 1200 mg per day and see if you feel the muscle weakness/pain.... I did.

Also the research on Vitamin D3, liqui gels, is very promising for cholesterol and a host of other issues.
        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Thank you all for the replies.

You have given me some 'ammo' to be able to discuss this in more detail with the doc when the time comes.

Much appreciated!
          The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

Update: one year later with changes in diet & exercise, no drugs. I'm on the high side of middle age, retirement eligible 4/1/12.

Weight: 186
            HDL: 52
            LDL: 112
            Triglycerides: 107
            Vitamin D: 95
            Total serum cholesterol: 185
            BP ranges from 105-115 over 55-60
            Pulse 45-50 resting

Doc gave me a congrats today. Still passing my annual PT but in better time, quicker recovery, less pain.
            Last edited by Nessmuk; 09-30-2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8152 users online. 429 members and 7723 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X