300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for me to be in this forum

Well, happened to be walking past a mirrored window when I saw it. I need to get back to loosing weight!

I am the cornfed raised in the country type. I am very broad and large hands. I wear a 7 3/4 hat. I also found out here lately I wear a size 13 ring. So I would look very goofy if I was skinny, but the 'ol belly has grown here lately. I stand 6'1" and weigh in at 290-ish without belt and vest.

I drink actually very little soda, but soda is all gone from my diet now as of today.

The one good thing going for me is I don't smoke or consume alcohol.

If anyone cares, this will be an ongoing thread of updates.

Originally posted by RedRyder21 View Post
    Well, happened to be walking past a mirrored window when I saw it. I need to get back to loosing weight!

I am the cornfed raised in the country type. I am very broad and large hands. I wear a 7 3/4 hat. I also found out here lately I wear a size 13 ring. So I would look very goofy if I was skinny, but the 'ol belly has grown here lately. I stand 6'1" and weigh in at 290-ish without belt and vest.

I drink actually very little soda, but soda is all gone from my diet now as of today.

The one good thing going for me is I don't smoke or consume alcohol.

If anyone cares, this will be an ongoing thread of updates.
    What's your goal exactly? Just weight loss?

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

My goal right now is to get rid of the belly. I doubt I could achieve six pack abs, but I need the ol' gut gone. After the belly is gone pack on a little extra new muscle. For now I would like to get back into the 250'ish range.

At the department I work for we have a great workout room with great equipment. I also have a nice bicycle. My problem is we work four 10 hour days and then three days off. The days I work I go home and crash and sleep almost 10 hours. My days off consist of catching up on normal day to day stuff like mowing the yard.

Some people may say 10 hours of sleep is to much, but I am one of the few that is wide awake all night while on shift.

This will definitely be a work in progress and life style change.

Comment

My goal right now is to get rid of the belly. I doubt I could achieve six pack abs, but I need the ol' gut gone. After the belly is gone pack on a little extra new muscle. For now I would like to get back into the 250'ish range.
        you're probably better off increasing strength/muscle mass first, then dieting the fat off.
        a caloric excess makes muscle growth possible at a much quicker rate, and a bit of fat gain is to be expected....why diet all the way down, just to add weight back on that needs to be taken off again

Comment

Dr. Peebody is right. I disagreed at first becuase I read your (redryder21) post incorrectly. Make strength gains first then work off the extra fat that comes with those gains.
          Last edited by djblank87; 07-30-2009, 06:24 AM.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

+1 on what djblank said. I am a big guy also and have been lifting for some time. I have finally applied what I already knew, that you have to figure out your caloric needs and consistently come below them to get that weight off. I have a long way to go, but by doing this have lost 24 pounds since June 1st. I use thedailyplate.com to track my foods, and find it really easy to use. I was using fitday before and I think it is kind of a pain.

I know you do not have a lot of time, but you do have to make this a priority. A little extra planning and preparation will help you have success! By not having your clean food on hand it will be much easier to find an excuse to eat junk. It is getting easier all the time for me to do the right thing, but I do not trust myself so I do not carry any money or cards with me. Can't eat it if I can't buy it!

Finally don't believe the "big country boy" thing. People still tell me that all the time, and it helped me accept my size. No longer. As far as I am concerned that is just code for "strong fat**." I am the same height as you, and also am broad across the shoulders. It seems like everyone I come across that is built like us likes to play that card, and also says they will look silly skinny. Just get those pounds off and don't worry about the skinny part. Kind of like a skinny guy that doesn't want to lift because he is afraid of getting too big. If only it were that easy in either direction!!!

Best of luck to you brother, I am hardly an expert but feel free to PM if you have any questions or want some support!

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Just as a useless side note, some other people I work with are struggling with putting on some extra weight because of extreme skinniness! They are not of much help to me.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Just as a useless side note, some other people I work with are struggling with putting on some extra weight because of extreme skinniness! They are not of much help to me.
                Tell them to eat more....

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

One thing you must understand is that losing weight is a cumulative effort. Fat loss won't just occur on your belly, it will come off in other areas and your stomach will probably be last.

You can use weight workouts to lose weight while gaining/maintaining muscle, keep your rest periods short, 30-45 seconds and your reps between 12-15. You can utilize your off days as HIIT days, and do hill sprints or interval biking.
                  Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I actually disagree with everyone else. You of course need to add some weight training but by no means should it be the #1 priority NOW. You are 290 lbs...you need to lose fat and get into shape. I'd start doing cardio 5-6 times a week and weight training 2-3 times a week, depending on your free time.

Get down to at least 20% body fat and then make weight training your #1 priority and keep doing cardio 3-4 times week.

Comment

Originally posted by ZachE84 View Post
                      I actually disagree with everyone else. You of course need to add some weight training but by no means should it be the #1 priority NOW. You are 290 lbs...you need to lose fat and get into shape. I'd start doing cardio 5-6 times a week and weight training 2-3 times a week, depending on your free time.

Get down to at least 20% body fat and then make weight training your #1 priority and keep doing cardio 3-4 times week.
                      Weight training is better for fat loss than cardio. Why you ask? Simple...you burn more calories in the long run 1) by building muscle (muscle is the best fat burner), and 2) you continue to burn calories AFTER your initial workout because of the intensity used and the increase heart rate.

Yet I still recommend an overall workout routine that includes, cardio, weight training, proper eating and proper rest. Cardio and Weight training being INTENSE, eating being properly ratioed with whole foods and none of that processed crap and rest meaning 6-8 hours as recommended or without the use of an alarm clock.

this explains intensity a bit more in regards to cardio:
                      http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/Energy-...-Training.html
                      Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
                      Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

Here's a thought, do both cardio and HIGH REPETITION weight workouts then eat well.
                        The suspect then repeatedly assaulted this officer by slamming his face into this officer's fist.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Texan View Post
                          Here's a thought, do both cardio and HIGH REPETITION weight workouts then eat well.
                          The problem with High Repititions is you will mainly be working for muscle endurance. He wants to work for hypertrophy (muscle growth). I recommend no more than 20 reps. But you're right, an overall workout plan with proper eating included is best.
                          Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
                          Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11553 users online. 403 members and 11150 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X