300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design My Workout

I thought there might be a few of you out there who would want to look at my schedule, goals, and assets, and come up with a routine I can stick to and get a lot of benefit out of. It's always fun to boss someone around, right? If you're interested, I'm all ears. I mean, right down to telling me how many reps and sets of each exercise. Here's what you get to work with:

Goals

1. Gain strength, not necessarily size. I know some bulk will come with the strength, but looks mean absolutely nothing to me. My wife actually would hate it if I looked like a bodybuilder.

2. Lean up some; I'm a little flabby around the waist and would like it to tighten it up a bit.

3. Have a weekly, or maybe every 2 weeks if you want, schedule that I can repeat for a while.

Schedule

I work a 4 on, 3 off schedule. I have 90 minutes on days 2 and 4 to work out on duty (that's all workout, counting shower and dress out time I have 2 hours). On the other 5 days, I'm on my own and an hour or less would be best.

Assets

At work, on days 2 and 4, I have a fully equipped gym available. Don't count on any spotters, though. At home, I have a stationary bike and a set of adjustable dumbells, and of course can run and do pushups and the like. I don't have a private gym membership and the PD is too far away to go in to use the gym, so days 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7 need to be limited to those possibilities.

Liabilities

I'm not a gym rat and I don't know a lot about weight training; just a few basic exercises, really. I was in the marching band for my PE credits in high school, if you must know! So if you just call the exercises by their most common name, I can look them up on the internet to figure out what they are.

If you're wondering, I'm not in horrible shape right now. I run a 300m in under 60 seconds, a 1.5 mile in around 12:00 to 13:30, do around 30 pushups and situps in one minute, and bench about 70-75% of my body weight. So there's lots of room for improvement but it's not hopeless!

So that's it. Any questions before you start ordering me around? Thanks in advance.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Power 90. Its the precursor to the P90x infomercials currently running on tv. It is an excellent overall fitness program that will get you results. You don't need much in the way of space, and as far as weights, a couple of dumbells will get the job done. I believe it is still available on the Beachbody website, or you might save a few bucks if you try ebay. I have PERSONALLY done this program, and you WILL see results.
    Its a step by step guide, charts for your progress and all. Sounds like exactly what you are looking for.
    Judging by the stats you give, you may be ready for P90x, but I will tell you it is a challenge.
    Last edited by Highwaylaw; 07-23-2009, 08:56 AM.
    "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
    but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

squat deadlift and overhead press are the essential movements in any program....anything else should be considered ''assistance'' work.

i usually suggest ''starting strength'', but if you don't want to gain weight thats not the program for you.

i have been using jim wendler's 5/3/1 program with good results so far. this program is more allowing for cardio work than SS.
      elitefts.com if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
        squat deadlift and overhead press are the essential movements in any program....anything else should be considered ''assistance'' work.

i usually suggest ''starting strength'', but if you don't want to gain weight thats not the program for you.

i have been using jim wendler's 5/3/1 program with good results so far. this program is more allowing for cardio work than SS.
        elitefts.com if you're interested.
        I know several guys who have been very pleased with 5/3/1.
        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop View Post
          I thought there might be a few of you out there who would want to look at my schedule, goals, and assets, and come up with a routine I can stick to and get a lot of benefit out of..
          Done:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ension+trainer

Good luck....
          - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
            I know several guys who have been very pleased with 5/3/1.
            glad to hear that....i'm only on the 2nd cycle so i've only been seeing some rep pr's, that probably aren't really pr's because i never repped out before...

it s the right program for me right now because i need to get my bench up, run time and weight down....i just hope i have enough time before the DT school canvass

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
              it s the right program for me right now because i need to get my bench up, run time and weight down....i just hope i have enough time before the DT school canvass
              I am assuming you are under 30 so you will need to bench at least around 125% of your BW which should be pretty easy. Run needs to be better than 9:45 I believe...

Don't plan on any canvass for that anytime soon. The last class was Nov 07 and one should be coming up soon but word is the next class isn't going through for a while so...

Comment

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                I am assuming you are under 30 so you will need to bench at least around 125% of your BW which should be pretty easy. Run needs to be better than 9:45 I believe...

Don't plan on any canvass for that anytime soon. The last class was Nov 07 and one should be coming up soon but word is the next class isn't going through for a while so...
                we got an unofficial canvass about 3 months ago, just gauging interest in a possible 09 PT test.....my bench has always been a weak spot for me, my run has been as low as 9:20 (currently over 11:00), and the pushups/situps is not an issue.

Comment

I think this particular workout would be perfect for you if you stuck to it for the full thirty days.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/30days.htm
                  Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2249 users online. 143 members and 2106 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X