Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Gym Equipment

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Home Gym Equipment

    For everyone thinking of putting together a Home Gym, I figured we could share ideas on cost effective methods and home-made equipment.

    Basic Equipment(not all inclusive):

    Pull-up bar
    Standard interchangeable dumbbells
    10lb. Sledgehammer w/tire
    Hand Grippers
    2in. Manila Rope for climbing
    A variety of Hex Dumbbells
    Jump Rope
    Ab Wheel
    Padded Mat
    Flat Bench
    Medicine Balls
    Heavy Bag 100lb.
    Heavy Sandbag

  • #2
    In my garage:
    -Power rack http://www.bwproducts.com/fitness/eq...erline/p06.htm
    -Adjustable bench (cheapie - need to get a good one)
    -Two Olympic bars - I really like the one from http://www.jesupgym.com/products.htm
    -Lots of plates - bought at gym going-out-of-business sale, used sporting goods store and some horse trading.
    -Dumbbell handles and plates. Want to get better handles with thicker grips and longer ends to handle more weight. No room for fixed dumbbells, and no money to buy a complete set.
    -Thick bar - 2" outside diameter pipe, 7 feet long, with bolts run through to serve as inner collars and pipe clamps for outer collars. The pipe is just a bit too small in diameter to use Olympic collars.
    -E-Z curl bar.
    -Jump Stretch bands - http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...lt.asp?cid=138 When I was powerlifting and training Westside Barbell style, bands were used to overload the top end of a lift, where leverage improves and the weight is moved much easier, to develop explosiveness. They are also great for stretching and pushdowns.
    -Captains of Crush grippers http://www.captainsofcrushgrippers.c...nmind/opencms/
    -Attachments to use barbells as dip bars on the power rack. The attachments are two pieces of plywood that slide in between the front and rear frames of the rack, and have two notches cut that fit over the barbells. The wood pieces with notches keep the bars from moving; one has the notches a few inches closer than the other so the bars form a V-shape when used for dipping.
    -Glute-ham bench. I have a cheap off-brand version of this: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=167&pid=679 The cheap ones on the market come with too small and soft a hip pad and small individual foot plates. I added foam to the hip pad and welded on a full-size foot plate. It's a great way to work the hamstrings, vastly superior to leg curls.
    -Cheap treadmill from Sears.

    Everything but the GHR and treadmill are in the garage. The power rack is bolted to a 4'x8' platform made from two inches of plywood. Not much room for storage, so every workout involves a bit of moving stuff around, but it's effective, no one walks over and takes plates from my workout area and there are no 19 year old thuglet wannabes wearing sideways ballcaps and walking around puffing up their 32" chests and flaring their nonexistent lats.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

    I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

    Comment


    • #3
      If I was putting together a gym in my garage (no basements here in FL) I would have the following.
      -squat rack (home built out of 4x4's)
      -bench
      -45 lb olympic bar
      -450 lbs+ of weight
      -pull up bar made from steel pipe chained through the trusses
      -home made dip bar made from 4x4's and steel pipe

      With this I can do everything I need to do...squat, deadlift, bench, bent over rows, overhead press, weighted dips, weighted pullups.

      I've seen complete sets with most of these things go on craigslist for $300, minus the pullup bar and dip rack.
      http://kmags.mybrute.com/ My guy can kick your guy's butt!

      Comment


      • #4
        My ideal home gym has everything listed here as well as wrestling mats 4 feet up the walls and and on the floor for ground fighting/D.T. practice. Don't have one put together yet but hopefully soon.
        " I DON'T WANT A LARGE FARVA!"

        Comment


        • #5
          in my dreams : power rack & bench, pull up/dip station.....also tractor tire, keg, bumper plates


          i saw a guy make bumper plates out of trailer tire/rim....welded on 5lb plates so it fit the bar....i dont' know what bumper plates go for cost wise, but it pretty innovative as long as it was actually worth the effort

          i just bought a 10 lb sledge the other day, so i'm on my way!

          Comment


          • #6
            Pullup bar

            Gymnast rings

            Lawnmower, snow shovel

            M-11
            “All men dream...... But not equally..
            Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
            but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
            for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

            TE Lawrence

            Comment


            • #7
              ateamer, thanks for the links.

              Kmag, do you have schematics for the homemade stuff?

              M-11, the lawnmower?


              Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
              in my dreams : power rack & bench, pull up/dip station.....also tractor tire, keg, bumper plates
              I'll have to get a keg.

              Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
              i saw a guy make bumper plates out of trailer tire/rim....welded on 5lb plates so it fit the bar....i dont' know what bumper plates go for cost wise, but it pretty innovative as long as it was actually worth the effort
              Brilliant!

              Comment


              • #8
                What I have currently:

                Power Rack with pullup bar
                1,400 lbs of olympic weight plates, 500 lbs of standard weight plates
                100 lbs of bumper plates
                Dumbbells from 10-100 (with a few missing)
                FID bench
                flat bench
                35 and 50 lb kettlebells
                Gymnastic rings
                Latpulldown machine with low row
                Vertical leg press
                Schwinn airdyne bike
                Heavy bag and several sets of gloves and shin guards
                Jump ropes
                Dip station
                2 Kegs
                20' climbing rope
                Sledge and tire
                2 Plyo boxes
                Resistance bands
                Adjustable dumbbells
                Ironmind COC grippers
                Gymboss timer
                Shrug bar
                Ab wheel
                Medicine ball
                Sandbag
                Iron woody gripper
                Weight vest
                Pushup handles and perfect pushup
                Hyperextension bench
                curl bar
                Swimming pool
                Plenty of training books and dvds-KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!


                ...feel like I am forgetting something, but oh well!

                what I want:
                MORE ROOM!!!!!
                GHR
                weight sled
                more boxing/mma equipment
                concept 2 rowing machine
                ab slings
                Last edited by brownj21; 07-22-2009, 11:48 AM.
                www.ShankAZombie.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Nice Brownj21!

                  I have a decent amount of equipment but I need a lot more.

                  Speed bag
                  Punching bag * 3
                  Jump Rope * 4
                  Weighted sled
                  Olympic bar and 385bs in plates -- need to buy more
                  Squat Rack and Bench with attachments for legs which I never use
                  Dumbbells from 10-45Ibs which I never use - given to me by a friend.
                  A dip/pull up/ push up/ sit up station. I attach those ab slings - awesome piece of equipment right there let me tell you
                  A single kettlebell 35Ibs I think
                  The perfect pushup
                  A pull up thingy you attach to the door frame.

                  There are some links on the crossfit forum board to some reasonabley priced bumper plates. I want a big *** tractor tire for some tire flips.

                  Not really what the OP asked but...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                    Nice Brownj21!

                    I have a decent amount of equipment but I need a lot more.

                    Speed bag
                    Punching bag * 3
                    Jump Rope * 4
                    Weighted sled
                    Olympic bar and 385bs in plates -- need to buy more
                    Squat Rack and Bench with attachments for legs which I never use
                    Dumbbells from 10-45Ibs which I never use - given to me by a friend.
                    A dip/pull up/ push up/ sit up station. I attach those ab slings - awesome piece of equipment right there let me tell you
                    A single kettlebell 35Ibs I think
                    The perfect pushup
                    A pull up thingy you attach to the door frame.

                    There are some links on the crossfit forum board to some reasonabley priced bumper plates. I want a big *** tractor tire for some tire flips.

                    Not really what the OP asked but...
                    Oh yeah, I forgot pushup handles and Ironwoody gripper and weighted vest...Im sure there is more. I will edit my list.
                    I definitely would like some of those ab slings that you are talking about GP.
                    I just sold my waterrower so that would have been on the list a week ago.
                    Last edited by brownj21; 07-22-2009, 10:00 AM.
                    www.ShankAZombie.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Boxer4 View Post
                      For everyone thinking of putting together a Home Gym, I figured we could share ideas on cost effective methods and home-made equipment.

                      Basic Equipment(not all inclusive):

                      Pull-up bar
                      Standard interchangeable dumbbells
                      10lb. Sledgehammer w/tire
                      Hand Grippers
                      2in. Manila Rope for climbing
                      A variety of Hex Dumbbells
                      Jump Rope
                      Ab Wheel
                      Padded Mat
                      Flat Bench
                      Medicine Balls
                      Heavy Bag 100lb.
                      Heavy Sandbag

                      Much of what people should put in a home gym depends on their goals and their budget. I see a lot of stuff purchased for home gyms that don't reflect the persons' goals and or are not good bang for the $$$.

                      Personally, I prefer to spend $40 per month to use millions of dollars worth of other peoples investments in equipment (Golds Gym, etc). However, my home set up currently is a TRX Suspension Trainer, a treadmill, a balance ball, 75lb sandbag, and a few other things, and I can get an effective workout on that if I can't get to the gym. Here's a vid I made training at home:

                      http://www.brinkzone.com/blog/genera...ining-at-home/

                      BTW, the atomic push ups are the sh$t and the best ab and core exercise around. I recommend a TRX trainer to anyones home gym set up, and I take it when i travel and use in hotel rooms, etc.
                      Last edited by WillBrink; 07-22-2009, 10:47 AM.
                      - Will

                      Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

                      www.OptimalSWAT.com

                      General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

                      www.BrinkZone.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Great setup Brown!

                        Will, I really like the TRX Trainer. I might have to pick one up.

                        This is good stuff guys, keep it coming.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Pullup bar
                          Rings
                          Homemade Dip Station
                          Homemade 20lbs Medicine Ball
                          Weight Set w/Bar
                          Sandbag 80-250lbs
                          Kettlebells 1, 1.5 poods
                          Mountain Bike
                          Numerous Hex Dumbells
                          Climbing Rope
                          Garden Boxes 12" & 24" for Box Jumps
                          Small whiteboard w/marker

                          Need to get:
                          Bumpers 200lbs worth
                          New O' Lifting bar
                          AND
                          C2 Rower
                          Last edited by djblank87; 07-22-2009, 01:11 PM.

                          CrossFit

                          RossTraining

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by djblank87 View Post
                            Pullup bar
                            Rings
                            Homemade Dip Station
                            Homemade 20lbs Medicine Ball
                            Weight Set w/Bar
                            Sandbag 80-250lbs
                            Kettlebells 1, 1.5 poods
                            Mountain Bike
                            Numerous Hex Dumbells
                            Climbing Rope
                            Garden Boxes 12" & 24" for Box Jumps
                            Small whiteboard w/marker

                            Need to get:
                            Bumpers 200lbs worth
                            New O' Lifting bar
                            AND
                            C2 Rower
                            I smell a crossfit gym....

                            Oh, I do have a whiteboard as well, just havent hung it and put any PR on it yet. Should I add my Vibram fivefingers to the list?
                            www.ShankAZombie.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
                              What I have currently:


                              Latpulldown machine with low row

                              what I want:
                              MORE ROOM!!!!!
                              GHR
                              i've seen vids of people using the lat pull down for a make shift glute ham raise. EDIT: Video
                              or you could load a bar in your power rack, set low, then move a bench if front of it to put your knees on....
                              i'm going to work these in starting next month

                              i'd like to work them in with her
                              Last edited by Dr. Peebody; 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 2318 users online. 155 members and 2163 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X