Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing a little push

Hey all,

I've read through a lot of threads on here but I'm having trouble really finding stuff that I think would fit me.

I'll be entering the academy somewhere in Janurary, but in the mean time I'm going to have a bunch of Physical Fitness Tests in the coming time. (starting in about a month)

So heres what I'm getting at. I wanted to be prepared for the academy (long term goal) But I want to be able to rock these tests. I'm moderately in shape.
    Moderately being I run a 1.5 mile in about 13minutes on a bad day and 11 and change on a good day. I can pass my PT tests that consist of 30 pushups and 40 situps in a minute for both. My problem is, its not pretty. I have finally gotten decent form on these so I now I just need to keep getting better strength.

My frame is that 6'2 145lbs. I'm a skinny dude and I want to bulk up the best I can prior to academy so I dont look like i dont belong and plus I dont want to get out a patrol car and let the crackhead think he can beat me

I recently graduated college where my room mate made me work out with him and it was a 'were doing Excercise A B and C today' and I did it. Well now I'm by myself and I joined a Golds but I dont really know how to start my workouts.

So After that book (thanks for reading). To sum it up. 6'2 145lbs, looking to increase PT test type excercises in the short run, Academy endurance in the long run.

I just need direction, instead of M W F do Bi's and Tri's. I need like specific excercises that would benefit my frame.

More of on Monday do Three Sets of Bi cep curls, three sets of skull crushers etc. until I get the hang of structuring my own workout.

And Im sure someone would say get a personal trainer. College wasnt cheap, no non-living expenses for the next 10 years lol

Thanks Guys!
    Last edited by Nhoc6131; 07-11-2009, 06:10 PM. Reason: typo

Here is what I do:

Monday: Flat bench press, incline bench press, butterflies, dumbell press (flat), chest press machine.

Tuesday: Straight bar curls, dumbell curls, tricep extensions, skull crushers, tricep presses (flat bench), tricep push downs, preacher curls.

Wednesday: Leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, Sit ups with a medicine ball on a decline bench, back extensions.

Thursday: I repeat Monday's workout, but take it easier with the amount of weight.

Friday: REST

Saturday: 1 mile jog and stretch

Sunday: Rest

NOTE: I run 2 miles after my workout Mon-Thurs. I also do other small exercises to fill in time or if I am just feeling good (ie. shoulder shrugs, dead lifts, lat pull-downs).

Supplements: I take N.O. Xplode pre-workout. I take Muscle Milk post workout. I take testosterone pills (T-bombII) every other month.

This all works for me, but everyone is different. It takes dedication to get any results. I didn't notice any major gains for the first couple of months. Good luck!
    Last edited by 300Busa; 07-12-2009, 04:16 PM.
    We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

Look into my signature, probably the best stuff YOU can do for right now... If your going into the academy, it will not get much more well roundedthan whats in my sig. You don't want to "bulk up" before the academy, bro. Build lean muscle and make yourself stronger, yes. Bulk up? No.
      www.darkwolfunderground.com/forum if you join you can see all the other good stuff on the forums. Do not enter if you are faint of heart-or don't like HARD training.... think.......strongman???

Comment

www.crossfit.com

Ev'ry ting you wan'!

Comment

Originally posted by AzPilot View Post
          www.crossfit.com

Ev'ry ting you wan'!
          Exactly.

You don't have time to put on any significant muscle mass. Just concentrate on getting stronger and in better overall condition.

Comment

www.p90x.com :-D

This question has been asked a few times, try searching through the forums.

The most common responses: crossfit and p90x.

Comment

Google compound lifts such as deadlifts, Squats, Lunges, Pull Ups, Cleans, Snatches, etc. With assistance from a bulk specific diet and proper rest you will get bigger and stronger. Patience is the name of the game. Rome wasnt built overnight. Rosstraining.com is a great website too. Remember, it is a combination of diet, training, and rest.
              Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
              Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

Originally posted by brn2reign View Post
                Google compound lifts such as deadlifts, Squats, Lunges, Pull Ups, Cleans, Snatches, etc. With assistance from a bulk specific diet and proper rest you will get bigger and stronger. Patience is the name of the game. Rome wasnt built overnight. Rosstraining.com is a great website too. Remember, it is a combination of diet, training, and rest.
                the quote above is the only of those previous suggestions that will help you get bigger/stronger.
                edit: maybe the darkwolf thing is good, but i didn't read through it

body part splits (like the bis/tris, chest/back) workouts will give you newbie gains at first but it will not last and you won't gain much strength.

you need a program which controls your linear progression (has you adding a tiny bit of weight per workout).

DO NOT try to create your own program. buy "starting strength" by mark rippetoe. a SIMPLE program that has you squatting 3x per week, drinking a gallon of milk per day, and adding weight to the bar every workout.

on starting strength i gained from 185-217lbs bodyweigh, and increased my squat from 195x5 to 275x5 in 10wks. after working off most of the excess body fat that came w/ the bulking up i'm at 200lbs, have kept almost all of the strength gains, and have my body fat % close to where it was but i look just as lean thanks to the added muscle mass.

you can get a jist of the program here, but you NEED to buy the book, read it, practice the exercises and EAT EAT EAT
                Last edited by Dr. Peebody; 07-12-2009, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brn2reign View Post
                  x2

Everything else is garbage. By January you could easily put on 20 lbs of lean muscle.

Do a premade routine such as Mark Ripptoe's "starting strength" (read that book also), or Bill Starr's 5x5.

If you were my friend, and I saw you spending a whole day curling and doing tricep work, I'd seriously kick you in the nuts.

Bench, Overhead press, squat, deadlift, bent over row.

Eat big, lift big, get big.

read this: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...ing_Primer.htm

and then read this: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm
                  http://kmags.mybrute.com/ My guy can kick your guy's butt!

Comment

Originally posted by kmagnuss View Post
                    x2
                    . By January you could easily put on 20 lbs of lean muscle.
                    Not to start a ****ing contest but this is impossible. It would take a couple of years to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxer4 View Post
                      Not to start a ****ing contest but this is impossible. It would take a couple of years to do this.
                      20 is a lot, but considering where he's starting from he has A LOT of quick gains to be made.

if he followed SS to the word, and guzzled the milk like he's supposed to i say its possible

Comment

Here's some brain food:

The Colgan Institute of Nutritional Sciences (located in San Diego, CA) run by Dr Michael Colgan PHD, a leading sport nutritionist explains that in his extensive experience, the most muscle gain he or any of his colleagues have recorded over a year was 18 1/4 lbs. Dr Colgan goes on to state that "because of the limiting rate of turnover in the muscle cells it is impossible to grow more than an ounce of new muscle each day."
                        You can ask Dr Colgan if you like: http://www.colganinstitute.com/pages/askdrc.html

Now this is unlikely and nonspecific based on the fact that everyone's "habits" are quite different and so are the "results" that happen. It is safe to say that Bodybuilders who take all sorts of illegal supplements and dedicate their lives to the muscle bound beauty contest have a hard time gaining 10lbs of muscle in a year. What does that tell you about the average person? Things that make you go hhhmmmmmm.

By the way, best to train movements, not parts.
                        Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
                        Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nhoc6131 View Post
                          I just need direction, instead of M W F do Bi's and Tri's. I need like specific excercises that would benefit my frame.

More of on Monday do Three Sets of Bi cep curls, three sets of skull crushers etc. until I get the hang of structuring my own workout.

^^^^ All of that is what you need to stop doing. Who told you to set up a routine like you're currently doing? And, how long have you been doing it? What gains have you made? How has you Bi's and Tri's routine helped you with push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and running? You know sh&t you're going to be doing in the academy....

What would help you is to start doing things that you will be doing in the academy.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

I am partial to the website in my signature....
                            www.darkwolfunderground.com/forum if you join you can see all the other good stuff on the forums. Do not enter if you are faint of heart-or don't like HARD training.... think.......strongman???

Comment

Avdance Mass Buidling

I suggest "Advance Mass Building" by Jeff Anderson, by far the best program to put on muscle mass, and strength, I would advise anyone to look into it and do the program, blows everything out of the water.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3066 users online. 217 members and 2849 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X