300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My diet and opinions

Hey all, for the last two weeks I have changed my eating to be more healthy. I have shed some pounds. Take a look at my "average" eating day and if you can give me some pointers that would be great.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Breakfast 0800 AM- Hard boiled egg/Banana/Bowl of whole wheat cereal -- also take a fish oil and multi-vitamin

Lunch 11-12- Turkey Sandwich on whole wheat bread with lettuce-tomato-sandwich cheese/ serving of low fat cottage cheese / serving of Baked Doritos/ Cup of skim Milk

Snack 2-3- One of the following) Cereal bar or heart healthy Nuts or "no Pudge brownie" or 100 calorie pack - or fruit cup- or Raisins or Yogurt

Dinner 5-6- Baked Fish or similar lean meat small portion -Baked potato/ Salad w/ light dressing - Cup of Skim milk.

Snack 8-9- One of the following) Cereal bar or heart healthy Nuts or "no Pudge brownie" or 100 calorie pack - or fruit cup- or Raisins or Yogurt

I drink approximately 100 ounces of water a day and workout daily. My workout is a one mile jog (8-10 minutes) and/or 6 mile bike ride or 10 minutes on a stepper-- followed by some medium lifting
    Retired 02/01/13

Sounds good if you are achieving your goals without going too "strict" on it. Good job! In my opionion, your post workout meal is the most important so be sure you are taking in the correct macro nutrients.
    Dispatch: "All units be advised, he's on foot in a red dodge pick up truck."
    Me: "Ummm, control..."

Comment

If you're trying to lose weight I would cut the following items that are highlighted:

Breakfast 0800 AM- Hard boiled egg/Banana/Bowl of whole wheat cereal -- also take a fish oil and multi-vitamin

Lunch 11-12- Turkey Sandwich on whole wheat bread with lettuce-tomato-sandwich cheese/ serving of low fat cottage cheese / serving of Baked Doritos/ Cup of skim Milk

Snack 2-3- One of the following) Cereal bar or heart healthy Nuts or "no Pudge brownie" or 100 calorie pack - or fruit cup- or Raisins or Yogurt

Dinner 5-6- Baked Fish or similar lean meat small portion -Baked potato/ Salad w/ light dressing - Cup of Skim milk.

Snack 8-9- One of the following) Cereal bar or heart healthy Nuts or "no Pudge brownie" or 100 calorie pack - or fruit cup- or Raisins or Yogurt

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Hey you didn't offer a solution to replace those items!

Comment

Make sure to scan the labels on all of the foods listed above... if there's lots of sugar in them, you may be setting yourself up for a hunger crush later. You also may want to add in some more fresh vegetables, preferably green or bright colored ones, for nutritional value.

In addition, make sure that you are drinking tons of water and taking a fiber supplement designed for weightloss (it sounds gross, but it will make your gut function more efficiently and assist in optimal weightloss).

Comment

In my opinion, the biggest issue would be that the diet needs to be sustained for a lifetime for optimal health. If it can't be, it is going to be counter-productive. Think long-run, don't put too much emphasis on the short-run.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxer4 View Post
              In my opinion, the biggest issue would be that the diet needs to be sustained for a lifetime for optimal health. If it can't be, it is going to be counter-productive. Think long-run, don't put too much emphasis on the short-run.
              I agree. So many people are obsessed with the amount of calories, fat, carbs., and protein in each serving. Not many pay attention to what is in the food that will cause your problems. Read what is put into the food. the less processed the food is the better for you. One simple rule, If you cannot pronounce it don't eat it. Baked doritos have MSG in it. Also scale back on the dairy products. Stay away from any and all artificai sweeteners foods that are labeled, "lite, diet, low-fat, etc." They are not. I'd use extra virgin olive oil only (expeller pressed) and vinegar for salad dressing. for your snacks use nuts and fruits. During meals you need to have whole grains, beans. 3 to 4 servings of cold water fish per week. No pork and only grass fed beef (sparingly).
              Fairtax.org

Comment

Originally posted by Adam354 View Post
                Hey you didn't offer a solution to replace those items!
                BROCOLLI!!! you don't eat ANY vegetables......lettuce doesn't count!

Comment

Originally posted by apcinnga View Post
                  During meals you need to have whole grains, beans.

Why?

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Originally posted by Boxer4 View Post
                    Thanks for all the replies. I am trying to do this the right way and not crash into diet failure and give up. I am making better decisions all around and trying to rethink my relationship with food as not comfort.

This weekend we went to a cookout with my family and they were grilling. The old me would have had two hamburgers loaded, a brat and a bunch of potato salad... probably with a 6 pack of beer... no wonder I am heavy. This time I had a chicken breast sandwich, and a bowl of mixed fruit with a bottle of water.
                    Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Originally posted by djblank87 View Post
                      Why?
                      Fiber, so you keep everything moving and can absorb more nutrients.

Comment

Why?
                        Potassium, protein, and fiber. three essential items. you need at least 3400mg of potassium a day. one serving of beans is anywhere from 400 to 600+. Don't think that you only get protein from meat. You also need at least 25 to 30 grams of fiber per day.

bigcop97 it is good once in a while to splurge. No pudge brownies are great. I make my own ice cream to have with it. sometimes having a treat isn't bad.
                        Last edited by apcinnga; 06-14-2009, 03:12 PM.
                        Fairtax.org

Comment

Originally posted by apcinnga View Post
                          Potassium, protein, and fiber. three essential items. you need at least 3400mg of potassium a day. one serving of beans is anywhere from 400 to 600+. Don't think that you only get protein from meat. You also need at least 25 to 30 grams of fiber per day.
                          It's pretty obvious that you can get protein from other places than meat...

You said:
                          During meals you need to have whole grains, beans.
                          You can get protein, potassium and fiber from other places than beans as well. You don't have to eat beans to get those items.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

It's pretty obvious that you can get protein from other places than meat...

You said:

You can get protein, potassium and fiber from other places than beans as well. You don't have to eat beans to get those items.
                            Really! All this time I've been eating a crap load of beans not knowing I could be eating other things like fruit and nuts as a different source.
                            I guess I should STFU then and quit giving suggestions.
                            Fairtax.org

Comment

My opinion which comes from years of dieting is that it really boils down to one thing when it comes to weight: Calories. If you burn more than you take in, you will lose weight. I would shoot for about 1800 calories while trying to lose.

Now, the other factor besides weight is nutrition and how healthy the food is. Fat isn't bad, just saturated fat. Carbs aren't always bad, but some things don't belong in the diet. Therefore, if one eats low calorie, good carb, good protein, good fat, low sodium, high fiber and few package foods which contain chemicals, one is doing fine.

Here is what I eat when I am going well:

Morning: 3 egg whites, one yolk with ricotta cheese
                              2 slices of Alvarado Street low salt wheat bread
                              Glass of low sodium V-8

Mid Morning: One banana

Lunch: All natural peanut butter or almond butter and jelly sandwhich on
                              Alvarado street bread

Mid afternoon: Oatmeal and peanut butter mixed

Dinner: Whole wheat pasta w/ low salt tomato sauce
                              Salad w/ olive oil and vinegar.

If I were you, I'd get rid of the cereal bars. That stuff is pure processed garbage, IMO.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3633 users online. 250 members and 3383 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X