300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout program

I have approximately 16 months until I begin applying to agencies (agreed to wait till the wife finished college) and I am looking to start a workout program that will not only help me excel physically at the academy as well as on the street. I am by no means saying I expect to be a standout, I simply don't want to be the one holding anyone back or being the one people don't feel like they can depend on.

Background: I have never really worked out. A few times I started lifting weights, but each time I over did it and burned out after maybe a week. I have never done a cardio regimen or anything like that. As a kid I rode a bike miles a day but after I turned 16 all exercise ceased completely. I am now 25 and I am ready to get healthy and in shape to be able to handle what may come in the future.

Currently my stats are:
    6'1"
    220 lbs
    ~28% Body Fat (measured with an at-home scale)

I can do maybe 2 legitimate pushups and 15 situps. I have absolutely no running endurance, and every time I try to start jogging to get in shape I do something to my shins and can't walk for several days. It isn't shin splints because I have had those after using an elliptical and those I can deal with. I can only assume that my tibia can not handle pushing the extra 35 pounds of weight on my body very hard.

I have recently begun cycling as it does not affect me the way jogging does and it gets my heart rate up. Right now I ride 5 days a week for 30-40 minutes staying at 70%-80% of my Max HR. I have been doing this for two weeks. I already feel better and have more energy, which prompted me to want to start a full program.

If someone on here would not mind, could you tell me what exercises to do in order to not only get in shape but build muscle and strength. I plan to start the "Couch to 5k" program once I have cut some weight, but what else should I start doing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/30days.htm

I thoroughly enjoy this routine and it will kick your butt and is relatively low impact.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Might also be helpful to note that I have cut out all soda from my daily intake. I was drinking approx. 65-80 oz per day of Dr. Pepper or Pepsi. I have also cut out most of the sweets, which were a huge part of my diet as well. I have kept Starburst jelly beans because they seem to be a small sacrifice but they kill the urge for worse items. I am also eating smaller meals 5 times a day rather than three large meals.

I am now in week 3 of this, so I am not craving much of it anymore. The first week was crappy, but now I feel great. Just thought I would throw this out there in case it was important.

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post

I thoroughly enjoy this routine and it will kick your butt and is relatively low impact.
        Great link. Thank you.

Should I do as many reps as I can and complete that routine as far as what exercise and what order? Or should I work on those specific exercises alone then start on that routine once I can complete the necessary reps?

I apologize for my ignorance, but as I stated I have 0 experience working out. Most of the terminology, etc. that I don't know I google but I wasn't sure about that ^^^^^^

Comment

The guys at Elitefts are the top of the line. Dave Tate, Jim, etc. are some of the best coaches on the planet with the records, etc to prove it. They have wanted to "break in" to the LEO arena, so I am talking to them now about using some of their gizmos (sled, sand bags, etc) to train the teams/groups I am working with, starting with the same guys I worked with last year for the CT SWAT Challenge: NEMLEC SWAT*

* = weeks 1-12 training vids found here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SWATFITNESSTRAINING
          - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Loudmouth View Post
            Great link. Thank you.

Should I do as many reps as I can and complete that routine as far as what exercise and what order? Or should I work on those specific exercises alone then start on that routine once I can complete the necessary reps?

I apologize for my ignorance, but as I stated I have 0 experience working out. Most of the terminology, etc. that I don't know I google but I wasn't sure about that ^^^^^^

Follow the program/routine. Do what you can in good form, build up, and then when you reach the right numbers, increase slightly. It is laid out in order.

Will, I love Elite, they have great articles, great routines, and although a bit expensive, the equipment they sell is friggin' great!

Comment

tx loudmouth-I appreciate your honesty, but some of the things you said kind of bothered me. I am not trying to be rude or out of line, but saying things like "I dont expect to be a standout" and that you just dont want to be the one that people "dont feel like they can depend on" doesnt give me much confidence in you or in you meeting your goals.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to have you succeed in all of your fitness and career goals....but I think you may want to tweak your mental position on that a bit. You also dont want to be the guy just getting by or going unnoticed, I would think.

Why cant you be a standout? Who says you cant be one of the top guys? Yes, I know your fitness numbers that you gave us suck right now. But it is only because you havent put in the work (you said that yourself).

All I am saying is, train your mind to think about you breaking the pushup record and/or having the best run time in your class....not for anything less. Use that as motivation when you train.

Again, I dont mean to offend you, I hope you understand where I am coming from. Hope this helped.
              www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

and although a bit expensive, the equipment they sell is friggin' great!
                I got a pretty decent weighted dip belt from them, but I also got a terrible jump rope from them. I have a lot of jump ropes and the best is the everlast speed rope...

Comment

Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
                  tx loudmouth-I appreciate your honesty, but some of the things you said kind of bothered me. I am not trying to be rude or out of line, but saying things like "I dont expect to be a standout" and that you just dont want to be the one that people "dont feel like they can depend on" doesnt give me much confidence in you or in you meeting your goals.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to have you succeed in all of your fitness and career goals....but I think you may want to tweak your mental position on that a bit. You also dont want to be the guy just getting by or going unnoticed, I would think.

Why cant you be a standout? Who says you cant be one of the top guys? Yes, I know your fitness numbers that you gave us suck right now. But it is only because you havent put in the work (you said that yourself).

All I am saying is, train your mind to think about you breaking the pushup record and/or having the best run time in your class....not for anything less. Use that as motivation when you train.

Again, I dont mean to offend you, I hope you understand where I am coming from. Hope this helped.
                  I do understand what you are saying and I appreciate it. My intention with my original post was to not come off cocky like I thought I could rule the world in one year. I also don't want to come off like "that guy" who thinks he is better than anyone else. I would love nothing more than to stand out, but from what I have read about academies it seems like the nail that stands the highest gets hammered the hardest. This is based completely on reading accounts online which admittedly could be flawed.

I have been working on the mental game and for the first time in my life working out is not only something I don't dread, but I look forward to it. I actually feel good after I get done which has never happened before. I always felt sick and could barely move the next day. Because I feel better after working out than before, I am motivated to do more and better. I find myself working very hard on diet and I am about to start supplementing (lightly). This is actually the first time I thought I could actually do it.

I was not offended at all, and again I appreciate your input.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                    I got a pretty decent weighted dip belt from them, but I also got a terrible jump rope from them. I have a lot of jump ropes and the best is the everlast speed rope...

Yeah...welllllll, I got the same jump rope...not thrilled but then again, for five bucks, what did I expect?? LOL

Comment

I'd honestly do a strength routine 3-4 times a week and add in 10 minutes of JSD73's routine at the end of each workout, and I had time a 70% intensity 30-45 minute cardio recovery workout in between the strength days. You can spike up your heart rate a lot of ways, and HIIT format seems to burn a lot more due to EPOC, but why miss out on strength gains and movement pattern training? If I was going to do the elitefts workout, I would do station 4 3 times, and then do station 2 2 times, but I would of liked to see some horizontal pulls, and some heavier hip/knee dominant exercises. I'm not saying this is best for you or anyone, but I wanted to make sure you had other options.

Comment

This is all fantastic advice, but I also recommend experimenting with various types of exercise in order to find out what your body reacts best to. Everyone's body is different, and there are things that will work for others that may not work for you.
                        "If you have to justify to yourself, or others why what you're doing isn't wrong; it is."

Comment

Spin classes are a great addition to running, especially while you are waiting for your shins to be able to handle additional mileage.

onehundredpushups.com is a free program that will dramatically increase the number of pushups you can do over a 6 week period (I'm now up to 63, from 43 a few weeks ago).

And the P90X program is awesome and can be done at home on your own schedule with minimal equipment and space. The nutrition plan included with the DVDs is simple to follow and easy to maintain.

Keep up the great work! Consistency = results!

Comment

Start the "couch to 5k program" (google it) after you have gone to a REAL running store and have your gait analyzed. (not a store in the mall) And then start working out with calisthenics. Don't go the gym route by lifting weights. you can do that after you are in good shape. Calisthenics are what you need.
                            Hyperfitness is a pretty good book on cal routines. It is not easy but its a great program to get you where you want to be. Good luck

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4306 users online. 257 members and 4049 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X