300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Program for getting into great condition

If anyone is looking for a basic plan on how to get into solid condition, muscular conditioning or "functional strength" (vs shear strength or muscle mass) is important, and great cardiopulmonary condition is essential. A solid program for that would be a good "functional strength" routine and solid cardio program. Here's what you do:

Monday, Wed, Fri, use this gizmo called a TRX trainer:

TRX info

Those things are great for developing functional whole body strength vs "gym strength" and muscle mass.

Tue and Thurs, do low intensity aerobics via running (unless you have some injury etc that prevents you from running) using a heart rate monitor to optimize intensity. How to use a heart rate monitor:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...-2X5-3,00.html

Finally, Sat you do HIIT training. HIIT training is VERY effective for conditioning beyond simple aerobics and bridges the gap between aerobics and resistance training both in effects and metabolically speaking. Good info on HIIT here:

http://www.youronlinefitness.com/Fit...l_training.php

Sunday, is 100% off!. No exercise of any kind. Just recoup. That's the schedule and it will get anyone into great condition all around. How fast a person will be able to jump into all that, depends on their starting point, so pace yourself and expect it to take a few weeks to a few month or so to be full speed at all that.

Although the above program will get most people into good overall condition, I also think many in the mil/le community over emphasize endurance over strength.

Given rest and good nutrition, that type of program is very effective, but of course variables such as goals, injuries, experience levels, etc, etc, all have to be taken into account.

The routine/program above is geared toward conditioning and can be done essentially anyplace.

A program I have used with people for example, is similar to what is above, but 2 of those days are done doing 80-90% 1 RM (3-6reps) basic movements of squats, deadlifts, weighted chins, etc. ergo, multi joint "bang for the buck" exercises. See other posts on this forum regarding progression models and common mistakes in program design.

A program with a greater emphasis on strength and muscle mass, For example:

Mond: upper body weights (using core multi joint exercises in the 80-90% 1RM range)

Tue: low intensity steady state aerobics (running, etc)

Wed: Lower body weights (using core multi joint exercises in the 80-90% 1RM range)

Thurs: same as Tue

Friday: whole body using TRX Suspension trainer.

Sat: HIIT training:

Sun: Off!

This is a tough routine, and attention to nutrition, rest, rehab, etc, is essential to benefit from it, much less survive it. Generally speaking a full 5-7 days off should be taken every 10-12 weeks when following the above. The above is similar to what I follow personally.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-03-2010, 06:09 PM.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Will, I have to ask since I have never used the TRX before. Wouldn't a set of O'Rings function in a very similar way to the TRX?

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Originally posted by djblank87 View Post
      Will, I have to ask since I have never used the TRX before. Wouldn't a set of O'Rings function in a very similar way to the TRX?
      Potentially sure, but the TRX is easy to adjust for length, designed to be used essentially any place, etc, but yes, I don't see why much of what one can do on a TRX could be done on O Ring type set ups. Another similar gizmo are the Blast Straps.

From what I can gather, the blast straps appear geared toward having a stable attachment you will find in a gym, ergo, cage, etc. The TRX seems better geared/designed toward more true "anywhere" type fitness/use.

The Blast Straps are clearly a MUCH better deal $$$ wise, and with some imagination, could probably replace TRX in most exercise, but set up may be challenging for some compared to the TRX. See Blast Straps:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...4&m=PD&pid=916

The TRX is pricy for what it is, but they have also put a great deal of time into total development of the overall product, so it's still probably worth it as an investment, at least it has been for me and others. TRX for example has a door attachment so it can be used in hotel rooms and such, where as the Blast Straps would be tough to set up easily there.

The major drawback I see with either would be if the persons focus is truly on LBM and strength, as you can essentially only add reps and volume as you get stronger, so no low RM stuff is possible. Adding weighed vest and such is an option, but again, will be self limiting at some point.

For general fitness/functional strength/and balance oriented work, these gizmos get a big thumbs up I would say, but for all but the beginner, still can't replace the free weights if LBM and lower RM strength is desired.
      Last edited by WillBrink; 03-21-2009, 11:24 AM.
      - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Thanks for the info Will, I had never seen those before you posted you're video. They look like a nice tool for someone who travels, or the hundreds of things you can also do with them everyday around the house.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Thanks for the info Will, I had never seen those before you posted you're video. They look like a nice tool for someone who travels, or the hundreds of things you can also do with them everyday around the house.
          I bring it when I traval and the door attachment they make comes in handy in hotel rooms.
          - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

I have both gymnast rings and the blast straps and believe it or not, even though I'm sure diminishing returns are eventual, I've made nice gains and progress in development by using them and them alone.

I've long been fascinated by gymnasts physiques and find them to have such a muscular hard/dense look to them that they give the average bb'er a run for their money upper bodywise. They train for hours with static holds and multiple reps and look at their development so there is something to be said for bodyweight training because most of them are not iron addicts while training for their events.

IF you have never attempted to do a gymnast ring push up or dip, much less blast strap pushups, the resulting use of your abs, stabilizers, and every last bit of muscle control is quite interesting to say the least and the pump, which means nothing really, is extreme. I also haven't had that degree of muscle soreness in a long long time.

In crossfit, or Escalating Density Training style, doing ring pushups and ring pullups for time is a humbling experience.
            Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
              I have both gymnast rings and the blast straps and believe it or not, even though I'm sure diminishing returns are eventual, I've made nice gains and progress in development by using them and them alone.

I've long been fascinated by gymnasts physiques and find them to have such a muscular hard/dense look to them that they give the average bb'er a run for their money upper bodywise. They train for hours with static holds and multiple reps and look at their development so there is something to be said for bodyweight training because most of them are not iron addicts while training for their events.

IF you have never attempted to do a gymnast ring push up or dip, much less blast strap pushups, the resulting use of your abs, stabilizers, and every last bit of muscle control is quite interesting to say the least and the pump, which means nothing really, is extreme. I also haven't had that degree of muscle soreness in a long long time.

In crossfit, or Escalating Density Training style, doing ring pushups and ring pullups for time is a humbling experience.
              I agree, it's a very effective way to train and hits muscles in ways you just can't do with gym equipment, etc. As you can see in my "training at home" thread, via the vid, those atomic pushups for example, hit just about everything in your core, stabilizers, chest, etc, etc. and that's one of many exercises you can do using TRX, and the ilk products. I find it to be especially effective when combined with weight training, but I know MMA coaches (GSPs coach for example) who use the TRX in their programs, as do strong men competitors, and mil. Either program I posted above is a very efficient and and productive, though fairly simple, plan for conditioning, strength, and functional strength. Taking another step, one can get fancier of course with adding concepts such as EDT (BTW, Staley is a regular author on my blog if you like his stuff...) to the above as needed.

I could happily do TRX only type training if I had to, but combined with higher 1RM % training, and other modalities (HIIT, etc) it's about the best bang for the buck one can ask for. I plan to incorporate more strong man style functional movements into my program in place of TRX this spring/summer (tire flipping, sled dragging, etc), as I want to be able to walk the walk as best I can after making others do it during courses and such, but I aint getting no younger!
              - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Yeah I have a sandbag waiting to be filled with sand......I will soon purchase an X Vest, so damn expensive though, and I would like to buy a weight sled as well. The tire flipping thing, well, I wanted to do that, but I have no where to put a huge tire, so Im gonna forego that....eventually I'd like to get a trap bar as well.....but again, money becomes an issue for my poor self.
                Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I remember doing my first ring dip. I was like "Hey it's just another dip", needless to say, it was not just another dip......

Here is one of many great gymnastic pages

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Originally posted by switcher
                    Those elastic bands with handles are just another variation of more mass-produced products. They're not worth $210. Yes, it's packaged with a nice "training guide," but it's not worth the money. It's a great business, though, to take some very low-cost products and package them into a perceived "high quality" $210 fitness package.
                    (1) they are no elastic bands. (2) They are not worth the money to you. I agree they are over priced for what they are, but I will say they are much more robustly built then people realize, they a well designed. They allow an amazing amount of variety to a workout. They are over priced, but still worth having in my view.
                    - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Yeah I have a sandbag waiting to be filled with sand......I will soon purchase an X Vest, so damn expensive though, and I would like to buy a weight sled as well. The tire flipping thing, well, I wanted to do that, but I have no where to put a huge tire, so Im gonna forego that....eventually I'd like to get a trap bar as well.....but again, money becomes an issue for my poor self.
                      Yeah man, you and I have similar equipment tastes!
                      I made a great sandbag, have a weight vest, and also would like a trap bar (my next purchase, just trying to find the best deal).

As far as the TRX, it is a good training system. I have gymnastic rings that are easily adjustable and do a lot of that stuff for less money so I probably wouldnt buy them. Someone could also make a good similar set up with tow straps and some handles, but I digress.

I liked your video, WillBrink. I made a burpee tutorial video....I think I may have to add it to my signature.
                      www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Originally posted by switcher
                        I think Will should design a similar fitness package and sell it for less. What tout someone else's product when you can make your own, especially when you have the credibility to back it?
                        Something to consider, no doubt! I have always been more comfortable selling information via my ebooks on weight loss and building muscle, articles, consulting work, etc, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. Thanx for the vote of confidence.
                        - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Man I'm in the same boat, I would love to have tire to train with but my apartment manager might have an issue with that. There is a large field by my place with four diesel tires and to tractor size tires in it, I have used those in the past.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Man I'm in the same boat, I would love to have tire to train with but my apartment manager might have an issue with that. There is a large field by my place with four diesel tires and to tractor size tires in it, I have used those in the past.
                            I was planning to put a tire in the back yard, a rope on a tree, and some sand bags, for my own course. The base CO said "Im planting new shrubs, flowers, and other stuff back there this spring, and you are not turning the back yard into some sort of strong man O course. Go play some place else." Oh well...
                            - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
                              I was planning to put a tire in the back yard, a rope on a tree, and some sand bags, for my own course. The base CO said "Im planting new shrubs, flowers, and other stuff back there this spring, and you are not turning the back yard into some sort of strong man O course. Go play some place else." Oh well...
                              That's horrible, shrubs and flowers are no substitute for the pain and agony of serious sandbag/tire work.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4929 users online. 330 members and 4599 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X