300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gym Etiquette

I am new to the gym scene and was wondering about some unwritten gym etiquette rules.
    Is it me or does it annoy the crap out of you when you are trying to watch the TV or Movie (in the designated movie area of the gym) and people decide to carry on very long and loud conversations. Sometimes they get so loud because they are trying to talk over the machines and the movie on their cell phones that its just very annoying.

Do some gyms have rules or signs about this or is it just a public place so deal with it thing?

Why would you be watching a movie at the gym?

Gym etiquette:
    -Put plates and dumbbells back in the proper place on the rack
    -Unload bars and machines when done using them
    -Wipe up your sweat
    -Allow others to work in - don't hog the equipment, especially if you are one of those people who can only do one set every five minutes
    -Never take plates off the rack attached to a bench or power rack when someone is using it; wait until they are done with their set and ask if they need the plate you want
    -No curls in the power rack
    -Don't drop dumbbells - it can strip out the bolts
    -Don't change the radio station without asking
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Rule #1

-Do not bother TheKansan while he is in the gym.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Q- Why would you be watching a movie at the gym?

Oh the gym has a movie room where they play a feature movie. I like watching movies during the workout because its a good distraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post
          Q- Why would you be watching a movie at the gym?

Oh the gym has a movie room where they play a feature movie. I like watching movies during the workout because its a good distraction.

My gym is always noisy,so the volumn is turned off on the TVs and they are set on closed caption. This allows more than one channel to be displayed in a given room without any conflict as to what'e being said on different programs.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

If I get to pick the channel, I always flip it on Sportcenter, muted though, and listen to my iPod. What annoys the crap outta me is when people turn the TV way up to watch, then leave without turning it down or shutting it off. Argh!!

And I'm not fond of folks carrying on loud conversations ANYWHERE in the gym. Maybe that's why I go between midnight and 4am most of the time.

Comment

Im glad my gym has multiple tv's and audio units where you have to plug in your headphones to hear the sound. They have these units on basically every machine!

Comment

That would be a GREAT idea but they don't have those ear things. The movie room is just to show a feature movie. I really enjoy watching the movie (I thought that was the point)
                I always bring my cell phone with me in case of an emergency but if there is a call I need to take I go outside the room and take the call.

I am guessing that I just have to deal with the people and their conversations huh?

Sometimes I just want to stop what I am doing and just turn around and stare at them while they are talking and pretend I am interested. I don't though. It is a gym and they might be stronger then me.

Comment

Leave the cell phone at home.

Don't walk in front of someone using the mirrors (as long as they are using the mirror in a constructive way).

Be aware of your surroundings.
                  This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

I have no problem with people bringing their cell phones. Its just talking on it NON-STOP that bothers me. If there is something important that you need to take a call, go outside. I feel better with having a cell phone in case there is an emergency. Like CHI said be aware of your surroundings!

Comment

I am so glad I don't have these issues. I enjoy getting a awesome workout with my thighmaster

Comment

I hate mirrors in gyms. They are a distraction. A bare wall is a better place to focus when lifting, and it keeps people from admiring their own awesomeness in front of everyone.
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

The gym is not supposed to be a happy social experience.

M-11
                          “All men dream...... But not equally..
                          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Yes, awesomeness is not an appropriate use for the mirrors. Personally, when I do certain movements, like shoulder press for instance, I need to look in mirror. For some reason I lose my coordination without it. It may just be me.

I also hate the people that decide to stand right in front of the dumbbell rack to do their exercises. Get what you need and get out of the way.
                            This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

There is a lost art of gym etiquette that hasn't been seen or discussed since the 80s.

Don't talk to someone while they're in the middle of a set.

Don't stand in front of them while they're in front of the mirror (yes that was a solid rule back in the day)

Get off the phone, are you there to talk or work out?

Don't shadow box in the free weight section, you're a moron.

Don't ask for a spot if you don't even weigh close to what's on the bar, we both know I'll be doing the work.

Don't scream out loud with a pair of 25s in your hands, you're an idiot.

Oh so many more.
                              Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5653 users online. 400 members and 5253 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X