300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a good rehab doc

Folks, One of the mods on my forums is a rehab physician. He's a physiatrist to be exact. Many people don't know about this specialty, and it can be a real life saver for those with various injuries, etc. His name is Dr. Peck. He's a wealth of knowledge about all things rehab, training, etc. He posted the info below on my forums and I though it may be of value to this population also, who are no strangers to injuries and aches and pains of all kind. His write up:

By Evan Peck MD:

Have a disabling medical problem that is affecting your participation in the sports or activities you enjoy?

Is your primary care doctor either unhelpful or unwilling to understand why you don't want to "just rest it" for the rest of your life?

Is the surgeon you were referred to only interested in cutting on your problem?

Even worse, was the problem already cut on, but you are not any better?

Is there any alternative, or do you have to resort to chiropractors or naturopaths or quacks to find a health care provider who can help?

Stop right here. You may or may not be aware of it, but there is a medical specialty specifically dedicated to non-surgical restoration and optimization of function in people with disability, ranging across the entire spectrum of disability - from a sprained ankle to a spinal cord injury, from carpal tunnel syndrome to a stroke. That specialty is Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R).

PM&R is a small medical specialty that has only had a medical board since 1947, but is rapidly growing as more and more people want to stay active and are unable to find physicians willing or able to help them overcome (primarily) neuromusculoskeletal injury and disability to maximize their activity and function. Many more people are also becoming weary of some of the pitfalls of only treating injuries with surgeries that "treat the MRI" and/or long-term drug use to cover up the pain rather than seek and fix the underlying cause.

PM&R doctors are fully licensed allopathic and osteopathic physicians that go to the same medical schools as family doctors, obstetricians, neurologists, surgeons, pediatricians, radiologists, and all other medical specialties.

A PM&R physician may be just who you need to maximize your function and performance, and to overcome injuries and ailments to resume doing the things you like to do at the level you like to do them. To find a PM&R physician in your area, please see the following website:

http://www.e-aapmr.org/imis/imisonli...dphys/find.cfm

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Follow up on this. Dr Peck (writer of above bit) is a now a resident physician at the Cleveland Clinic, FL. His contact page is:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/staff_...doctorid=14477

If you are in that area, or even in the region, Dr Peck is worth a visit. Besides being very knowledgeable about all things exercise/PT related, he's a life long athlete who is well aware not exercising is not an option for some. He's a walking dictionary on training, and a doc who will get you squared away with the various injuries you may have.

Feel free to tell him I sent you.
    - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by OperatorEX
      how's this differ from a physical therapist?
      Much higher level of knowledge, much more education, etc, etc, There's a universe of education between a PT and an MD.
      - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

I'd like to add, Mr Brink, that CHEK practitioners are excellent as well. Just another alternative to look at, usually a Level 3 practitioner or higher.

- Hulk
        "Anyone can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." - Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by OperatorEX
          Ah. Physical Therapy now requires a doctorate....already sounds like too much school. This, these guys better be good
          Anyone follow up on this info?
          - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7579 users online. 388 members and 7191 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X