300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iron gym

I saw an ad for this product on t.v. you can do dips, push ups, sit ups, pull ups on it. It looks like its sturdy and at 30$ it's a good deal. (it's much more impressive than your typical pull up bar) so what do you guys think?

It remains to be seen....

I'd prefer to spend the money on the P90X pull up bar. I know the Iron Gym says "No drilling required", but all the extra stuff you can do (i.e. situps, dips, pushups) can be done without that bar. Plus, the P90X bar gives you some more room for a wider grip on your pull ups instead of keeping your hands so close together.

Of course with the P90X bar, they don't have the option of those sweet "ab straps". I'd spend the extra $20 for Tony Horton's bar.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I have one just like it that I bought from the Everlast website. I like it a lot. On days when I'm too busy to get to the gym, I throw it up on the wall and do a bunch of close-grip, wide-grip, and neutral-grip pull-ups. Honestly, it is easier to do sit-ups and push-ups without it but it is a great pull-up bar if you live in an apartment or just don't want to put some holes in your door frame. I would recommend it to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Counter-Strike View Post
        I have one just like it that I bought from the Everlast website. I like it a lot. On days when I'm too busy to get to the gym, I throw it up on the wall and do a bunch of close-grip, wide-grip, and neutral-grip pull-ups. Honestly, it is easier to do sit-ups and push-ups without it but it is a great pull-up bar if you live in an apartment or just don't want to put some holes in your door frame. I would recommend it to anyone.
        Thats the same one I have (Everlast version). It has the same cantilever design that allows it to be set up without drilling as the irongym. Three of my friends tried it out at my house and bought themselves one as well. Cost $25, so it was hard to argue with the price. It is NOT my primary pullup bar, but I use it now and again for grease the groove and all. I acutally have a power rack that has a bar, an outside setup and a set of rings that I use much more often, because they are a lot sturdier and I can do much more on them (side to side pullups, ballistic pullups, etc).

Let me also say that if you want to do dips-get something that you can do full dips on or just use chairs and/or a bench to do seated dips. You can NOT go down far enough on the irongym for it to even count as a dip imo.
        And as Sgt Slaughter said, you can do much better and more versatile pushups without that bar (there must be 20+ styles of pushups you can do with virtually no equipment to mix it up and challenge yourself).

Its funny, I have seen this same question on at least 3 message boards and these types of pullup bars have been around for YEARS. It is amazing what an infomercial will do.
        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

These things damage the wall/frame at all??
          ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Comment

They can. They rest on top of the casing. I think some of them can be screwed in.
            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by ManInTan View Post
              These things damage the wall/frame at all??
              No...as long as you are not swinging from them you will be fine.
              I have some marks where it presses against the front of the frame, but if I had put a sock over the ends or a small towel that would have been prevented.
              www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

I j ust took a look at it online...... I just have one question... Is it really as sturdy as lt looks? I just tore my achilies a couple of weeks ago so this would be great if it didnt damage my house
                "There is no pain in death; it only hurts to die."

Comment

Originally posted by mpls finest View Post
                  I j ust took a look at it online...... I just have one question... Is it really as sturdy as lt looks? I just tore my achilies a couple of weeks ago so this would be great if it didnt damage my house
                  Yup. Ive been using it for years, or a similar style, and no problems. Great for pullups in an apartment!

Comment

TO anyone still thinking about this thing. I am 5'9" 1/2, 230lbs and in pretty good shape and I went out and purchased this contraption. I must say I am pretty impressed. I was worried that I would damage my walls(actually the wife was) and there was no damage after a 150 pullup workout of different angles. This thing will be great for going out of town for vacations and training. Thanks to noggin for bringing this to the attention of the class. No it won't replace the gym but it is a good sub for angled push ups, pull ups and dips. If you dont want to order it and just want to get it, Linen's and things hs them....... Of course I had my wife go in and get it!!!!
                    "There is no pain in death; it only hurts to die."

Comment

Originally posted by mpls finest View Post
                      TO anyone still thinking about this thing. I am 5'9" 1/2, 230lbs and in pretty good shape and I went out and purchased this contraption. I must say I am pretty impressed. I was worried that I would damage my walls(actually the wife was) and there was no damage after a 150 pullup workout of different angles. This thing will be great for going out of town for vacations and training. Thanks to noggin for bringing this to the attention of the class. No it won't replace the gym but it is a good sub for angled push ups, pull ups and dips. If you dont want to order it and just want to get it, Linen's and things hs them....... Of course I had my wife go in and get it!!!!
                      As I mentioned above, I disagree with the dips part.
                      I hate infomercials.
                      www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3569 users online. 196 members and 3373 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X