300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump rope as primary cardio??

Forgive me if this has already been discussed. Anybody here use jumping rope as the primary or major part of their cardio routine? From the threads I've seen, it looks like people have recommended it as a warm-up activity or at least something to do just go get moving. I ask because I hate running but I really want to enter a career in law enforcement. Just wondering if there any rope jumping enthusiasts and what people thought about using it as my primary cardio exercise of choice.

It CAN be used for a primary means of "cardio." but if you want to get into LE, then you have to conquer those running demons at some point. It is a priority of any academy's PT.
    You could use it in a circuit fashion, mixed with other exercises for a nice routine when you are short on time.
    For example:
    25 pushups
    40 squats
    10 pullups
    100 rope turns

rest 1min. repeat circuit 4 times.

obviously that is just one example of how to incorporate the rope in a routine.
    Many options out there, but I wouldnt recommend that it completely take the place of running.
    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
      It CAN be used for a primary means of "cardio." but if you want to get into LE, then you have to conquer those running demons at some point. It is a priority of any academy's PT.
      You could use it in a circuit fashion, mixed with other exercises for a nice routine when you are short on time.
      For example:
      25 pushups
      40 squats
      10 pullups
      100 rope turns

rest 1min. repeat circuit 4 times.

obviously that is just one example of how to incorporate the rope in a routine.
      Many options out there, but I wouldnt recommend that it completely take the place of running.
      Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that. I suppose I couldn't ask a bad guy to slow down or possibly walk since I don't like to run . I'm willing to suck it up and drive on with running, I just wonder on its own how effective jumping is in improving "wind" and leg strength.

Comment

Hello Onthefence

I dont think anything can replace running, I hate it too. But I jump rope for Muay Thai as a warmup and sometimes cooldown. I think its a great supplement to build up your cardio and foot work but I wouldnt rely on it as my primary cardio exercise.
        Standing by to stand by

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheFence82 View Post
          I ask because I hate running but I really want to enter a career in law enforcement.
          If you REALLY want a career in law enforcement, you will do anything it takes, anything! I hope you wouldn't really consider jump rope as a primary source of cardio, look at what brownj21 posted, I would of gave you something similar to his routine.

I will only add you should throw a 20 pound vest on while doing his routine.....

Take the pain and agony that running gives you and remember that one day someone will try to inflict that same amount of pain if not more upon you. The questions is.....will you be able to handle and conquer the threat or will you fall short?
          Last edited by djblank87; 09-17-2008, 02:38 AM.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Running sucks, but I'll make it.

Originally posted by djblank87 View Post
            If you REALLY want a career in law enforcement, you will do anything it takes, anything! I hope you wouldn't really consider jump rope as a primary source of cardio, look at what brownj21 posted, I would of gave you something similar to his routine.

I will only add you should throw a 20 pound vest on while doing his routine.....

Take the pain and agony that running gives you and remember that one day someone will try to inflict that same amount of pain if not more upon you. The questions is.....will you be able to handle and conquer the threat or will you fall short?
            I ask only because I'd rather jump 20-30 min that run 10, but I agree at the end of the day it's not really about what I like as much as it's what's the best way to get better at my run times and improve my cardiovascular strength. I've read online and heard from various people I know that jumping rope is a great way to get a cardiovascular workout that incorporates your entire body. As such, I was curious if officers used it as a mainstay in their "keep fit" routines. Thanks all for your insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Soleil_nuage
              Running is not bad if you slowly work on it. I think that a lot of people struggle with it and end up hating it because they do too much too soon.
              You might be right, my first real introduction to running was Fort Knox 2002. I vomited every run and my DS's told me I had to run the "weakness" out. Fast forward, 80lbs later and me and running are barely on talking terms. It calls every now and then and I oblige but we never really seem to mend our relationship. LOL. Seriously though that's a good point, I'm not giving up on my rope but I'm going to work more run time into my CR workouts.

Comment

I just picked up a $5 speed rope from Wallyworld the other day and let me say, if you haven't jumped rope in a long time, prepare for some burn! I forgot how tiring it can be to jump rope. Today on my run I took my jump rope and when I had to stop at a crosswalk or something, I would start jumping rope until the light turned...HOLY COW...it was a great run and a great workout.

Give it a shot.
                Romans 13:4 "For he is the minister of God to you for good. But if you do that which is evil, be afraid; for he bears not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that does evil.

www.hotshothoodcleaning.com

Comment

Jumping rope should be a supplement to your running, not your only cardio. You only need to do it a few days a week, like how plyometrics should be done that often. Do intervals, 30-40 seconds on, 10-15 sec rest(off), similar to the tabata method of interval training. Run in place, regular jumping, boxer shuffle(two hops on each foot individually), jump side to side, forward and back, and jump in a box pattern, clockwise, counter-clockwise. PM me if you want more information. You can also do longer intervals, training with a jump rope is about improving foot speed.

Comment

It's been said, ten minutes of jumping rope is equivalent to 30 minutes of running. Yes it can be a major part of a cardio routine. I think, not for the academy, that sprinting is far more practical and better than running. Most foot pursuits are an all out sprint and very few go for the distance (that's what radios and extra units are for).
                    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I hate to break it to you but you have to get use to running. This is my theory on foot pursuits. Let the guy sprint let him wear himself out, you can trail him. When he's all but exhausted you then sprint after him and jump him. This sound good. (it's my theory)

Comment

Originally posted by nogginbuster24 View Post
                        I hate to break it to you but you have to get use to running. This is my theory on foot pursuits. Let the guy sprint let him wear himself out, you can trail him. When he's all but exhausted you then sprint after him and jump him. This sound good. (it's my theory)
                        No worries there, it is what it is. Running and I still aren't exactly 'friends' but I want this bad enough to suck it up and drive on. I jump 6 days a week now and I'm working my way up to jogging for 5. Damn it if I'm not gonna be PAT ready by May!

Comment

I support the above post circuit training that will help TONS in running. I also reccomend fight training or even just bag training on a heavy bag. If you really wanna get high-speed with it, when you go to the gym between every set throw in a spring around the building or a 400 meter (25) spring on the treadmill. That way you can get your running in at an interval type pace but not have to be running non-stop forever and ever.

Also if you are running treadmill use intervals to help you through it. Jog pace at say 7mph and sprint at say 9mph or whatever your level of fitness is, scale it. Run length 10 for a jog then 10 for a spring, your jog will be your rest. This will help the time go by much easier.

No matter how you do it if you are choosing a career in LE/Military you MUST be able to run for PFT's (physical fitness tests).

Comment

UPDATE: I joined a running class in April of 2009 and haven't looked back since. I'm still not doing 13 minute 1.5's but I at least can say I love running now and look forward to my running days. As far as my original question ironically it was jumping rope that gave me achilles tendon pain. Another poster said it best, running sucked for me because I was doing too much too soon.

Comment

Worked for rocky lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5000 users online. 263 members and 4737 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X